advertisement

Buying a secondhand/refurb mobile phone.*

Try Giffgaff, I've bought a couple of phones from them. 1 years warranty as well. I had to return the last one as there was a problem with the sound, it was sorted out quickly.

Many thanks to everyone (even if the tips sailed effortlessly over my head). She went for an iphone on Music Magpie and within three minutes had two, small, unauthorized transactions (cable TV) before her bank declined a £900 one. We are assuming there must be a link between the MM purchase and the fraud.

I have had almost every imaginable phone under the sun, for work and personal use - just saying it how it is.

So have I and the SE, as good as a phone it is, is not better than every Android as you put it...

Even the old Pixel 4XL leaves the iPhone SE in its wake...

It's a great value iPhone; if you won't/don't use the main iPhones to their fullest. But that's about it really...

Many thanks to everyone (even if the tips sailed effortlessly over my head). She went for an iphone on Music Magpie and within three minutes had two, small, unauthorized transactions (cable TV) before her bank declined a £900 one. We are assuming there must be a link between the MM purchase and the fraud.

Did you check Apple Refurbished before you tried to buy via Music Magpie?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/iphone

FYI I've used MM a few times and never had any issues; their prices can be OTT at times though IMO

Amazon can have some great deal; well worth looking

So have I and the SE, as good as a phone it is, is not better than every Android as you put it...

Maybe it's just me but every Android phone I use is just illogical and shit. That said, OP says it's needed for a few calls and whatsapp - price is probably more of a factor than anything else.

Maybe it's just me but every Android phone I use is just illogical and shit. That said, OP says it's needed for a few calls and whatsapp - price is probably more of a factor than anything else.
That’s been my experience of Android, too, but to be fair I ditched it a few years ago so it could well be better nowadays. My big problem with Android, though, is that manufacturers don’t make it easy to see how recent a version they use, and Android itself isn’t as easy or quick to keep up to date with security updates, AFAICT. There’s at least one budget phone out there using a long-defunct version which hasn’t received any patches for known vulnerabilities for several years. This on a current model shipped brand new.

YMMV.

For her sins my wife has both, an iPhone from work which she detests.

Personally I wouldn't touch an iPhone

Agree

And I'm an Apple fanatic

But their phones leave me cold. They're not shit; nor are they 'better than Android' as someone likes to keep saying...

They work superbly & more so if you're tied into the Apple OS

But Android for me is smoother, more customisable, more functional, better apps and better longevity; I've an S21 Ultra, a Pixel 4XL and I still have an iPhone 11 somewhere. The Pixel 4XL leaves the iPhone 11 standing IMO

I had the 12 Pro Max and couldn't wait to get rid to get the S21 Ultra

it's horses for courses

Agree

And I'm an Apple fanatic

But their phones leave me cold. They're not shit; nor are they 'better than Android' as someone likes to keep saying...

They work superbly & more so if you're tied into the Apple OS

But Android for me is smoother, more customisable, more functional, better apps and better longevity; I've an S21 Ultra, a Pixel 4XL and I still have an iPhone 11 somewhere. The Pixel 4XL leaves the iPhone 11 standing IMO

I had the 12 Pro Max and couldn't wait to get rid to get the S21 Ultra

it's horses for courses

"as someone likes to keep saying" - blimey, you make me sound like a chastised child. :D

Great that you want all that customisable stuff; not sure that what you're describing is a "phone" or a miniature computer; there's the distinction I guess.

Headphone socket is always contentious to someone. For me, I prefer wireless anyway.

"as someone likes to keep saying" - blimey, you make me sound like a chastised child. :D

Great that you want all that customisable stuff; not sure that what you're describing is a "phone" or a miniature computer; there's the distinction I guess.

Headphone socket is always contentious to someone. For me, I prefer wireless anyway.

Nope; just calling you out as every time there's a iPhone vs Android topic; you come on spouting shite :D

I've got a work iPhone (an 11) but it's very mediocre compared to my own phone so pretty much never gets used.

We all used to either have the higher spec iPhones or Samsungs but have all moved onto Xiami's now - 2 of us with Mi 9T Pro's and the other 2 with Mi 10 Pro's.

I've got a work iPhone (an 11) but it's very mediocre compared to my own phone so pretty much never gets used.

We all used to either have the higher spec iPhones or Samsungs but have all moved onto Xiami's now - 2 of us with Mi 9T Pro's and the other 2 with Mi 10 Pro's.

I bought my wife the Note 9 Pro for one of her Christmas pressies; her ageing Samsung S6 had enough issues

The Xiaomi has & still is a great phone and she loves it; great capabilities and a fantastic camera, more so for the overall cost of the phone...

Ok it's not as slick as the likes of the premium Samsung & Google phones etc; but they do a superb job

Only piece of advice - (probably not relevent to the OP) but avoid Iphone X (and XR) models - the cameras are deficient by comparison to others. Apparently a load of social media influencers got hold new Iphone X models and then quietly went back their 8's for instagram! Daughter #2 has an XR (hand me down from her boyfriend) but says the camera, especially the front one is rubbish.
My XR is a better phone than the 8 Plus it replaced, but you are right - the single-lens camera is a let down.

advertisement

Back