advertisement

SCISSORS

I picked up a pair of these take-apart Fiskars multi-purpose 8" scissors for 1 dollar from a fly-by-night clearance center about 6 years ago. They were new in the package with a 2 dollar price sticker on, however, the lady running the place announced that everything in the store was '50% off today only' (they subsequently moved on within the month). Anyway, I've used these for everything from snipping wire (note the notch just aft of the pivot), through cutting fabric, canvas and leather. I may even have opened a bottle of beer or two with them. Highly recommended, even at retail prices.

1e9658c1-0fcd-4a94-960b-1b7dff212404_1.5458c9d6fe6c4458d0f9a5ea4504e5f2.jpeg
I love the description that these are 'Great for College Living'.

I once had a £500 pair of scissors made for eye surgery, but someone borrowed them without asking and ruined them.

Back when I made jeans, I sharpened my tailor's shears enough to easily cut through 8 layers of 16oz denim. I was always really careful with them but a friend borrowed them without asking and chopped the tip of his finger off with them.

The rust isn't exactly overwhelming, is it? Can't you just rub it off with a bit of emery paper or similar.

I’ve done that and used a bit of vinegar. It is just highly annoying, not rusting should be the most basic design requirement of kitchen scissors. These weren’t some cheap supermarket junk, I bought them as they were well reviewed and from a major brand.

I picked up a pair of these take-apart Fiskars multi-purpose 8" scissors for 1 dollar from a fly-by-night clearance center about 6 years ago. They were new in the package with a 2 dollar price sticker on, however, the lady running the place announced that everything in the store was '50% off today only' (they subsequently moved on within the month). Anyway, I've used these for everything from snipping wire (note the notch just aft of the pivot), through cutting fabric, canvas and leather. I may even have opened a bottle of beer or two with them. Highly recommended, even at retail prices.

1e9658c1-0fcd-4a94-960b-1b7dff212404_1.5458c9d6fe6c4458d0f9a5ea4504e5f2.jpeg
I got some similar ones - great till I took them apart to wash them, danged if I can get them back together again though! Is there a training course? :cool:

51402962880_a350091e92_b.jpg

Here’s my current pair of rusty Wusthof scissors. Only a few months old, apparently highly recommended, and it appears yet more landfill shit. If they weren’t rusty I’d have no issue with them, they cut fine etc. For comparison I include a picture of my trusty early ‘80s Lion Sabatier kitchen knife which lives in exactly the same environment and isn’t rusty at all.

Is there anything out there actually guaranteed not to rust? I’m not opposed to spending half decent money, but I expected these not to be crap as they are allegedly a good brand etc.

That knife needs a little work, you have work a hollow in the edge.
Go easy on the sharpening and use a smooth steel to reform the edge insted of an abrasive sharpener.

Pleas tell me you don't use one of those two wheel sharpeners.

Pete

I think we may be at cross purposes here, by the appropriate angle I mean I follow the original ground angle to produce a new sharp edge, I don`t touch the flat of the blades.

A grind stone is far to coarse to sharpen scissors.

Pete

That knife needs a little work, you have work a hollow in the edge.
Go easy on the sharpening and use a smooth steel to reform the edge insted of an abrasive sharpener.

Pleas tell me you don't use one of those two wheel sharpeners.

I mentioned it in the sharpening thread a while back, and yes, it had been ruined by one of those Chantry two-wheel things and had ended up almost serrated! That is the best I can get it back using a water stone with the limited skill I have. I ended up taking quite a lot of material off, but it is now at least nice and sharp. I’ve no idea how one would straighten the back of the blade out short of grinding some of the ‘handle’ bit off.

I mentioned it in the sharpening thread a while back, and yes, it had been ruined by one of those Chantry two-wheel things and had ended up almost serrated! That is the best I can get it back using a water stone with the limited skill I have. I ended up taking quite a lot of material off, but it is now at least nice and sharp. I’ve no idea how one would straighten the back of the blade out short of grinding some of the ‘handle’ bit off.

You have to grind off some of the bolster so you can straighten the edge them resharpen it, I have done it before on a couple of knives, send it to me and I will sort it out.

Pete

Very kind, thanks Pete, I’ll find a box and PM you.

PS I’ll be cutting onions with a bread knife or a Leatherman whilst it is gone!

I own about 7-8 pairs… can never bloody find any when I need them though!

You might like to have a read of my post #38 (above). I have used this board system for a number of years. It is easy to use, scissors are always accessible and identifiable at a glance and, very difficult to knock off their perch.

Perhaps the most beautiful scissors I own are Niegelech GmbH Sicherheitschere, Solingen, safety scissors. Small and exquisitly hand crafted. They are perfect for trimming nose hairs once a week.

advertisement

Back