advertisement

RIP Charlie Watts

For me, the rock the Stones were built around - amongst many other things.

Here's one track I'd suggest as to why; one of my faves from this album I bought when it was released (1994?)

Charlie appears to play behind the beat but he's so right in the pocket it anchors the whole in a way that gives Mick & the rest space to be as louche for effect as anyone likes; and without which it would.not.work; not at all. His first cymbal hit is what sets the whole track running; the rest utterly nailed without flash fills; so subtle and yet wholly-essential, and sufficient.

(and the giggle is, even that last final flourish is an exact count ..late)

I agree, this album was a breath of fresh air after the 90s fare and quickly became a favourite of mine too and I felt they recorded it really well too

Much as I'm not a fan of the Stones, there is so much of what they did that I really appreciate. From the straight covers to the development of the blues to their own sound and songs. Such is the breadth and depth, I even own a few of their records. Some complete belters.
Perhaps not the right time to have a free concert in Hyde Park for hundreds of thousands of fans and release clouds of butterflies but I'm sure they've at least thought about it.
RIP Charlie Watts.

Last edited:
Yes, I could imagine a succession of drummers wanting to take a track each on his simple set up to pay their respects.

RIP Charlie

Always loved his drumming

Played Some Girls LP this morning

Nothing special technique wise but always love the bit in Sister Morphine where he comes in - it's like two minutes of waiting for the missing piece and then suddenly they're off

A friend was the drummer for Catherine Wheel (Yarmouth boys who they had their moment in the '90's) and he spent 10 years in the US.
Flying back to the UK (1st class natch) he was sat next to Charlie.
They starting talking and Charlie asked him what he did and my was told "I'm your worst nightmare Charlie, I'm a drummer" :D
They had a good chat and he was super-nice and genuine.

Just listened to 'Aftermath', CW had a certain drive and timing which is a large part of the RS sound. His kit was always a tad smaller than most rock drummers.

Read somewhere that when they where on their first tour in USA, staying in NY the others in the band where partying and chasing girls. Charlie went down and checked out the jazz club scene.

Sorry, this is Jimmy Miller, not Charlie. But yes, excellent drumming, too

Ah. I didn't now that. One of the Stones books relates that Jimmy Miller often worked with Charlie and on Let It Bleed Charlie would let Jimmy show him the effect he was trying to get and then take over. I see on Wikipedia Jimmy is credited as being the drummer.

CW had a certain drive and timing which is a large part of the RS sound. His kit was always a tad smaller than most rock drummers.
Also a master of control, he could go soft or loud at the right moment, the opposite of a Ginger Baker speed thrash

Charlie’s last live Stones song:

Recorded on someone’s phone so the quality isn’t great but there are some close-ups of him on the big screens still cutting it at 78.

Crossfire Hurricane documentary film on BBC1 tonight at 10:35.

Watched this last night on iPlayer. Interesting almost as much for what was left out (the whole period from 'Between The Buttons' to 'Beggar's Banquet', and Bill Wyman's departure, for example) as for what was included.

Despite the hardly surprising stuff about drugs, it was clearly a sanitised version of events, which the lawyers must have gone through with a fine tooth comb. IIRC from what was said at the time, Mick Taylor left because he felt he was being cheated out of songwriting credits, but in the film he claims that he wanted to get away to break his heroin addiction.

But some great footage from the 'Exile' period.

A friend was the drummer for Catherine Wheel (Yarmouth boys who they had their moment in the '90's) and he spent 10 years in the US.
Flying back to the UK (1st class natch) he was sat next to Charlie.
They starting talking and Charlie asked him what he did and my was told "I'm your worst nightmare Charlie, I'm a drummer" :D
They had a good chat and he was super-nice and genuine.

That's a nice story. After watching him being interviewed your friends comment was so apt.

advertisement

Back