advertisement

Buying a secondhand/refurb mobile phone.*

molee

pfm Member
My partner's iphone is getting a bit erratic and she doesn't want to buy a new one but isn't sure how to go about buying a second hand one either. I suspect she just needs one that supports Whatsapp etc and can make/take a few calls.
Whilst I am usually an irritating font of useless advice and iffy information-she knows I know sfa about mobiles (my handmedown, from her, is so old it doesn't support anything) so;

1) any tips on what to lookout for, where to look?

2) anyone got a fairly up to date, presentable phone languishing in a drawer somewhere?

Ta. * Also posted in Classified (wtd)

I’ve never bought a new phone and they have all worked perfectly. Because everyone has one there is no escape for the sub-standard. It’s inevitable they will perfect by now.

I'm sure I read somewhere the only thing to be wary of is a lack of security updates on older phones? Although I'd imagine it would only be a problem if you buy stuff or do online banking etc on your phone?

Seconded, something like a Poco X3 NFC. Given how all manufacturers have given us a reach around with inaccessible batteries (they like to tell us we asked for this sort of crap) it’s best to pick something with new battery, 5000mAh capacity and fast charging, otherwise batteries discharge quickly and take way too long to charge. OS supported with updates and decent CPUs, good damage and water resistance and 64gb or 128gb storage, scanning of QRs. Plenty of other features but for a less techie user these sort of things make life easier.

Here’s a video that had me squirming before I bought one

I've had haif an eye on those Poco 'phones recently.
My trusty S7e is starting to get a bit hungry on recharges, plus I recently dropped it, for the umpteenth time, with the result of the dreaded vertical pink line on the screen. This comes and goes at will and can sometimes be cleared with the RGB reset feature.
There's no rush as I have a second phone, OPPO A5 -2020, which is also very good but is mainly for static and streaming duties.

I’ve bought 2 second hand phones from Music Magpie, and found their grading system accurate and the devices fine.

One I found I couldn’t get on with (nothing wrong with it, it was the design I didn’t like) and it was a hassle-free return and refund. The other I kept for about 3 years, which is a good while for me, and traded it in when I eventually upgraded.

So on that limited experience, I’d recommend them for used phones.

If you want a slightly bigger screen i'm on a Samsung Galaxy A10 now under £100 refurbed, £135 new.

Does everything and has FM radio.

We use Whatsapp all the time for work.

I would send you one of mu old ones but the last two were run over!

Just to add a different take. The refurbed phone idea always seemed like a great idea when my eldest two kids went off to uni. Knowing that their phones would get seriously trashed, and possibly left in a bar or uber.

Son no. 1 had an iPhone-7 refurbed, bought from Amazon. It looked the part, great condition, held it's charge and was around 50% of the price of a new phone. Over a couple of years he ended up replacing it twice, both times at no cost. On two of the models the microphone stopped working, then the third one just started doing a random shutdown. It felt like they'd been returned because of underlying issues. He eventually replaced it with a new SE, a bit more expensive but this one does seem reliable.

Son no.2 had a refurbed Samsung. Again after around a year it's suffering with various issues.

To be fair to the phones, my kids totally trash their phones, they get used for 10 hours a day, get dropped, splashed with beer etc. So they have a very hard life, but it does feel like there's an inevitable compromise, you really aren't getting "almost new" levels of features nor robustness.

If you go with refurbed, I'd only buy direct from Apple or Amazon so you have a decent waranty. But TBH both kids have ended up buying new, if you need something cheaper, just buy a more basic phone - an Apple SE, or moto-G for Android.

I (for the family) have purchased several phones (all Iphones, mostly 7's and 8's) from Music Magpie. Always arrived in good time, as described and have lasted for years. Only one has been sent back - hassle free.

Daughter #3 has just bought an Iphone 11 Pro for £430 from another on line site with good reviews for service. It arrived today, and is being set up now. Was described as 'good' but looks better than good to me - will be in a case anyway.

Only piece of advice - (probably not relevent to the OP) but avoid Iphone X (and XR) models - the cameras are deficient by comparison to others. Apparently a load of social media influencers got hold new Iphone X models and then quietly went back their 8's for instagram! Daughter #2 has an XR (hand me down from her boyfriend) but says the camera, especially the front one is rubbish.

Yes - the new Iphone SE is a very good choice for normal folks!

My partner's iphone is getting a bit erratic and she doesn't want to buy a new one but isn't sure how to go about buying a second hand one either. I suspect she just needs one that supports Whatsapp etc and can make/take a few calls.
Whilst I am usually an irritating font of useless advice and iffy information-she knows I know sfa about mobiles (my handmedown, from her, is so old it doesn't support anything) so;

1) any tips on what to lookout for, where to look?

2) anyone got a fairly up to date, presentable phone languishing in a drawer somewhere?

Ta. * Also posted in Classified (wtd)

Does she want to stick with iOS or is she happy to move across & learn to use Android?

With Android; you'll get brand new phones that are decent for c£150-£200 (Xiaomi, Pocco, Redmi - all part of the same brand) and even some Samsungs won't be too far off that price

IMO no point in buying used/2nd hand these days unless you want a top spec phone

And then you really need to ensure it's as described as one persons 'mint/immaculate' isn 't the same as the next persons!

I’ve bought a couple of refurbished iPhones from eBay - less than half of the new price and no problems with them.

advertisement

Back