advertisement

Speaker Choice

Did you like them? Are you changing them because you didn't like them, or they broke / got lost / stolen or you've changed rooms and they don't fit?

Stereophile seems to rate them.

I haven't heard them, but as I'm not a fan of ported loudspeakers, I'm already prejudiced. Given the size of the OP's room, I think he could do worse than fill it with a pair of 12" woofers, sealed of course.

Stereophile seems to rate them.

I haven't heard them, but as I'm not a fan of ported loudspeakers, I'm already prejudiced. Given the size of the OP's room, I think he could do worse than fill it with a pair of 12" woofers, sealed of course.

Good spot @James , I'd read the dimensions as feet!

I have been very pleased with the B&W, a mid range speaker surround has perished and cracked. I am going to try and repair them or renew them but with what. No chance of a test so I have to get it right first time. Any idea what Polk 55 or 60s are like.

What are you trying to achieve with the replacements Griff? There are so many directions you could take. I’m going to sell my LSA2 shortly if Surrey is in reach and want a listen. I’ll probably look for half of your budget, but not meant as an ad and equally as curious by what you’ve heard and liked and disliked etc.

Existing B&W 603s3 speaker rubber surrounds are perished, ordered replacements from Holland, coming to Spain, if they arrive.! I may be able to repair them, if not it's new speakers. I have been very pleased with the 603s so something similar, needs to be floor standing, room is 5.2 x 6,5 mtr. B&W again? possibly the Quad S4s not very popular it seems and are the ribbon tweeters bright or screechy. Not sure about Polk. Thanks.

I think the nicest ribbon tweeter speakers I heard were Dali-something-or-other belonging to a mate. Too bright for my taste but exactly what he liked but then I have always found B&W too bright so maybe worth you looking at Dali too.

Existing B&W 603s3 speaker rubber surrounds are perished, ordered replacements from Holland, coming to Spain, if they arrive.! I may be able to repair them, if not it's new speakers. I have been very pleased with the 603s so something similar, needs to be floor standing, room is 5.2 x 6,5 mtr. B&W again? possibly the Quad S4s not very popular it seems and are the ribbon tweeters bright or screechy. Not sure about Polk. Thanks.

Hi,

There is a pair of Quad S4's second hand up at Audio Emotion, they ship all over the world, good company to deal with, have used them a few times.

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/quad-s4-loudspeakers-28612-p.asp

They have a good selection of kit in their pre owned section usually.

Cheers

John

Quad S4 are very appealing apart from the fact their placement 50cm to 1mtr from rear wall. SWMBO would not like that.
Maybe Dali or Monitor Audio, they are available.

A 2nd hand pair of proac floorstanders. you might find some d18's for just over £1k. I upgraded my b&w's to a pair of proac's and haven't looked back (so I'm slightly biased).

advertisement

Back