advertisement

A Sony Tale of Woe

Hi peter
I sold an oasis double album
Dead wax read A1 B1 C1 D1
It was exactly what the buyer had been searching for apparently and it went for top money
When it arrived he reckons it was A1 B1 C2 D2 and wants 50% off he even sends me a photo to prove it
I was convinced I was right but what can you do :mad:
So I refunded him
A week later I am looking through his profile and on the same day he sells his copy which is C2 D2
Now I know where he got the photo!!
It’s horrible when you are scammed
Hope it sorts itself out for you
All the best
Tony
Hi Tony

It makes you want to call round his home and shove the album where the sun don’t shine. The trouble is, you can’t leave negative comments as a seller, which clearly devalues the entire feedback process.

Peter

So, hopefully the final stage of this saga. I made an appeal against eBay’s decision to refund £500 to the buyer following the sale of and subsequent damage to my Sony 870.
I know that this will surprise many here (it surprised me TBH), but I won the appeal and eBay overturned their decision. The £500 is to be refunded. I just hope that really is an end to this stressful episode. Their decision was based on:
Photographic evidence provided
The way in which I had been courteous to the buyer and eBay throughout.
17 years of buying and selling with 100% feedback throughout
The balance of probability.

So sometimes eBay can do the right thing.
Now what to do with the amp?

Peter

That's good news Peter. Glad it all worked out not too badly for you.

Rather unexpected I have to say, given the number of horror stories there are on here from sellers.

Congratulations on the result.

Do you get an instant refund - either frozen money released / funded by ebay or do you have to wait for the money to be returned to ebay from the buyer?

Good grief! This tale of woe has definitely put me off selling on eBay. I had a few items to sell, but I think I'll look elsewhere because I'm in no rush for a sale. I just want them to have an appreciative home.

A few years ago I sold some speakers that arrived dented but workable. I agreed with the buyer that I would refund him, and let him keep the speakers for his trouble. When I told him I would chase up the courier for compensation, he said, "Good luck with that!". However, the courier admitted that they had had a problem, and paid me the full compensation. So, we were all reasonably happy apart from the courier, whose liability it was.

Good grief! This tale of woe has definitely put me off selling on eBay. I had a few items to sell, but I think I'll look elsewhere because I'm in no rush for a sale. I just want them to have an appreciative home.

A few years ago I sold some speakers that arrived dented but workable. I agreed with the buyer that I would refund him, and let him keep the speakers for his trouble. When I told him I would chase up the courier for compensation, he said, "Good luck with that!". However, the courier admitted that they had had a problem, and paid me the full compensation. So, we were all reasonably happy apart from the courier, whose liability it was.

i think this particular case is one of nearly 3,000 sales/purchases on eBay that has gone badly wrong for me. I have learned from this experience and will no longer assume that all buyers and sellers are decent people who play fair. Having said that, the vast majority are.
Just try to cover every angle. Taking good photos, packing well, accurate descriptions that are hard for them to exploit etc etc.
The small minority out to scam sellers and/or buyers do make eBay less attractive as a place to trade. I have bought many items here on PF and I’ve never even had a hint of a problem. However, sometimes you need a the huge customer base/marketplace that eBay has.

Peter
Congratulations on the result.

Do you get an instant refund - either frozen money released / funded by ebay or do you have to wait for the money to be returned to ebay from the buyer?

I suspect I’ll have to wait. Mind you, They took the money from my bank account pretty quickly. Mind you, the outcome shocked me too. Must have got something right.

Wow result and some!

Well done you
cheers. I am feeling a tad chuffed.

That's good news Peter. Glad it all worked out not too badly for you.

Rather unexpected I have to say, given the number of horror stories there are on here from sellers.
Gobsmacking. Especially given the amount involved.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Peter

i think this particular case is one of nearly 3,000 sales/purchases on eBay that has gone badly wrong for me. I have learned from this experience and will no longer assume that all buyers and sellers are decent people who play fair. Having said that, the vast majority are.
Just try to cover every angle. Taking good photos, packing well, accurate descriptions that are hard for them to exploit etc etc.
The small minority out to scam sellers and/or buyers do make eBay less attractive as a place to trade. I have bought many items here on PF and I’ve never even had a hint of a problem. However, sometimes you need a the huge customer base/marketplace that eBay has.

Peter

Well, that gives me more reassurance. Thank you. You have had an exceptionally good experience over the years. It's too bad this one went wrong, but I'm very pleased for you that eBay came up trumps in the end.

That’s a very good point. I will need to contact eBay for clarification, but I imagine you’re quite right.
Might be worthwhile asking whether you are still under any obligation to ship it to him, as opposed to him collecting it, or having it collected. IOW, put the onus on him to choose at his own risk.

Regardless, glad to hear that your perseverance has its reward.

Issues like this are why I'm freaking out a litle about selling off some of my more expensive equipment. I'm planning now on collection only for some of it (which will limit potential buyers) but at least they'll see and hear it working.

Worst experience I ever had on Ebay was selling an LP 12 at a bargain price (however need the money quick) to a dealer who shall remain nameless.
Shipped in a full Linn box. Gets message back, lid broken, motor sheared off it's mount, platter dinted, will return at your expense and we expect a full refund.
Told them to f- off and sent them a lid motor and platter which all cost me a pretty penny. After checking them out glad to see they are no longer in existence
as I find it very hard to believe the worst of Couriers could destroy a Linn in it's full box? I had taken out full insurance at my cost but trying to claim it
back proved a fruitless experience.
I bought from and sold to all over the Globe for years on Ebay and Audiogon but now stick to Gumtree or Facebook marketplace unless it sells on here which has always been
a painless, pleasant experience.
Lesser audience but I've had a few people travel up from England to buy speakers or turntables. they see the item/s, hear it, inspect it and in all
instances no haggling about the price. However, all being well, usually give them a discount towards their petrol unless they are up on business or visiting relatives so would incur the cost in any case :)
Will buy records/cd's of Ebay but would never contemplate selling any high value items on it these days.

I sold a big Japanese amp maybe five years ago. Original box and packing and fitted that into an even larger triple skinned box with more packing material. Guy took five days to pay then I shipped the amp. Two days later it’s got a fault, I asked what was wrong he gave no description. I said fine I’ll Arrange collection and give you a full refund, na I want to keep it, give me £200 back! eBay useless as usual, refund him or we’ll refund the whole amount before you get the amp back. Sent him £200 back via PayPal and never sold an item there since.

advertisement

Back