advertisement

SCISSORS

If anyone has any recommendations for genuinely stainless steel kitchen scissors, i.e. ones that don’t have spots of rust after a few years, please let me know!
I've had a pair of John Lewis brand stainless steel kitchen scissors for 15 years or so. No rust spots. British-made too.

Love scissors, have loads. You have to watch this in case you have not seen it before:

The *music* putt me off. I have found Axminster Tools a good place to buy scissors years ago.

The used to do superb ones made in France.

If anyone has any recommendations for genuinely stainless steel kitchen scissors, i.e. ones that don’t have spots of rust after a few years, please let me know!

What kitchen work do you want to use them for?

LIDL used to have great ~~German made ones... no longer. I am the lucky owner of German kitchen shears. LIDL still do SS kitchen ordinary scissors that never rust.

PS "I removed the psychedelic font stuff upthread as it triggered me."

I (eguth) was not the one what removed it....it didn't *trigger* me (whatever that means). And... different coloured fonts are not psychaedelic...just diferent.

I've had a pair of John Lewis brand stainless steel kitchen scissors for 15 years or so. No rust spots. British-made too.

Our John Lewis kitchen scissors are at least 25 years old without rest though they are marked Finland so probably Fiskars.

We also have a pair of Wilkinson Sword kitchen scissors from 1984 when I was working for an associated company and bought them cheap from the staff shop, they were an absolute.........no, I won`t say it.

Also no rust - perhaps it`s your dank Mancunian climate, Tony.

We have loads of scissors in our house, ancient and modern, but I can never find the ones I want.

No one's mentioned scissoring yet..........

When I were a lad the Scissors was the high jump of choice - the only one available as far as I knew. You couldn’t jump very high with it which was lucky as the sandpit was at the same level as the take off area consisting of a 3mm layer of packed grit. Then along came the new fangled Western Roll which you had to have GCE’s to do I think. Currently we have this Fosbury thing which in my opinion is totally illegal. I do like watching the young ladies doing it though.

I need a strong pair of kitchen scissors. I bought a pair from Amazon earlier this year with good reviews but they just aren’t up to the job. Any recommendations?

We have various scissors in the kitchen drawer. The Ikea ones from a set are rubbish. The only ones that work, remain rust free, remain sharp and the blades come apart for cleaning are a pair of OXO branded scissors we bought from Lakeland. They seem to cut anything in the kitchen. Remarkable that they stay so well aligned when you re-assemble them (a 1/4 twist at the hinge).

When I was a youngster living on farms we regularly had travellers coming on site to sharpen blades. My mum would pop out of the cottage with all her scissors and knives to get them fettled.

[QUOTE
EXTRACT *No one' s mentioned scissoring yet.......*
Mike MA
What IS "SCISSORING"? The last haircut I had was in 1956.

When I were a lad the Scissors was the high jump of choice - the only one available as far as I knew. You couldn’t jump very high with it which was lucky as the sandpit was at the same level as the take off area consisting of a 3mm layer of packed grit. Then along came the new fangled Western Roll which you had to have GCE’s to do I think. Currently we have this Fosbury thing which in my opinion is totally illegal. I do like watching the young ladies doing it though.
Current…
The high jump of choice in competitions for the last 53 years!

I remember the sheer wonder at the first Fosbury flop generated on TV. (Mexico Olympics?)

Western Roll was taught at my school in 1969,

The *music* putt me off. I have found Axminster Tools a good place to buy scissors years ago.

The used to do superb ones made in France.

I couldn't disagree more, I loved the music and loved the film as a whole. I find it pleasing that there is still a market to support such a hand made approach. I have spent way too much money at Axminster over the years especially since they opened a store fairly near me.

Being left handed I find some scissors that are ergonomically shaped to be very hard to use. My favorite scissors are my Pro-cook kitchen scissors that split apart for easy cleaning.

Cheers BB

How do you sharpen scissors? I had a little sharpening tool for secutairs which pivoted the stone to the curvature of the blade

I just run the blades at the appropriate angle across the wheel of a bench grinder - works a treat.

You have to be reasonably light and quick to avoid taking the temper but that applies to pretty much anything you sharpen.

We have loads of scissors in our house, ancient and modern, but I can never find the ones I want.

*EXTRACT*

The solution...for dependable, easy access make a cupboardhook board (not a hiccuphook one).

My Design

1) Gather all your scissors together. Measure the length of board needed after lining up the scissors handle to handle. Next add 1" inbetween each pair of scissors for spacing. Plus one inch at both ends for appearance and mounting holes.

2) Get CUP HOOKS. You need large hooks for large scissors, medium for medium, small ones for small scissors.
Try to get insulated hooks. If not, fit hooks with heat shrink sleeving. Shrink the sleeves. You can colour code the sleeving if you prefer an easy access system and don't have a robot.

3) Drill your mounting holes for fixing to the wall.

4) Screw the hooks in.
N.B. THE LEFT HAND HOOK FOR EACH SCISSOR IS SCREWED HOME SO THAT THE OPEN END OF THE HOOK FACES YOU. THE RIGHT HAND HOOK, ON THE OTHER (SAME) HAND IS SCREWED IN SO THAT THE OPEN END OF THIS HOOK FACES THE WALL! DONT END UP WITH IT FACING YOU!

The reason for this anomaly is....(slips my mind)...;.no... so that the mounting for the scissors is not siipshod but slipproof (almost). It works. Try it.

I just run the blades at the appropriate angle across the wheel of a bench grinder - works a treat.

You have to be reasonably light and quick to avoid taking the temper but that applies to pretty much anything you sharpen.

I wouldn't dare do that, diamond hone a few light strokes is the edge of the blade, never the flat.

Pete

I wouldn't dare do that, diamond hone a few light strokes is the edge of the blade, never the flat.

Pete

I think we may be at cross purposes here, by the appropriate angle I mean I follow the original ground angle to produce a new sharp edge, I don`t touch the flat of the blades.

advertisement

Back