advertisement

New Plant/Kraus record

That’s a bit harsh in my view! His first three were trying to escape the LZ typecasting- and of course there was lots of melodic stuff in classic Zep - eg Thank You, All My Love, That’s The Way, Tangerine, Battle of Evermore …

I got back into him with Now and Zen and have all his stuff since. It was just The Principle of Moments and Shaken 'n' Stirred that really disappointed me.

I got back into him with Now and Zen and have all his stuff since. It was just The Principle of Moments and Shaken 'n' Stirred that really disappointed me.

Shaken’n’stirred was pants right enough - despite having Little Feat’s Richie Hayward on drums !

I do find RP rather dull & his voice isn’t that great anymore. The free CD with this months Mojo is brilliant though.

My favorite Plant solo outing is The Honeydrippers Volume I. Great band, killer tune selection, monstrous recording and Plant could still sing well - alas, in the last 20 years, not so much. I'll take a hard pass on this new Kraus/Plant endeavor.

Raising Sand really wound people up for reasons which largely evade me. I’m a fan of T-Bone Burnett as an artist and a producer but haven’t especially engaged with Led Zep, Plant solo or Krauss. Raising Sand on paper ought not to have worked, and for many people, it didn’t. However, I thought it was a lovely little record but perhaps more sui generis than they or others would perhaps admit. It was a record which very much occupied its own universe and the cover and production was as much a part of that as the playing and the way both singers had to reign themselves in for the thing to work at all.

It’s that unacknowledged sui generis element which fills me with fear at the thought of a follow up and, sure enough, the cover looks second rate and the track itself is a tepid retread which nobody needs. I’ll no doubt give it a listen on Qobuz but I predict that it’s likely I’ll pass.

advertisement

Back