advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

"I've been hunting high and low"

my brother (a remainer) works for Honda in Swindon. He simply could not understand the idiocy of many of his colleagues during the referendum campaign. He says most of it boiled down to racism and xenophobia. ’Get ‘em out!’ was a common phrase at the time.

serves the idiots bloody well right.

If they want UK workers to fill these jobs (and all the HGV driver jobs and building jobs etc) they should try doubling the hourly rate and they may get some results.

This reminded me of something I saw on the inter web a while back about a Detroit based venture capitalist - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/interview-nick-hanauer-billionaire-venture-15-wage-perlo-ma

There's a video somewhere of him being interviewed on the issue of doubling the minimum wage.

When I was younger I have to admit to being what can only be called 'self-centred' (I had a reasonably well paid job), as I get older I look around me and find myself thinking we really do need to do something about re-distributing wealth.

I have no idea how to bring that about which I find more than a wee bit depressing.

Regards

Richard

This reminded me of something I saw on the inter web a while back about a Detroit based venture capitalist - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/interview-nick-hanauer-billionaire-venture-15-wage-perlo-ma

There's a video somewhere of him being interviewed on the issue of doubling the minimum wage.

When I was younger I have to admit to being what can only be called 'self-centred' (I had a reasonably well paid job), as I get older I look around me and find myself thinking we really do need to do something about re-distributing wealth.

I have no idea how to bring that about which I find more than a wee bit depressing.

Regards

Richard

I'll accept violent revolution! On the grounds that there is likely no other way....

Mans inhumanity to his fellow man exasperates me on a daily... in fact minute by minute, basis.

Quite how anyone can "earn" £million+ a day like Jeff Bezos etc etc and yet still try to get your workers to accept the very least you can legally get away with... whilst plotting to force them work harder and harder, with the least benefits, tea breaks and holidays possible etc, is further beyond me than the edges of the galaxy! I consider such people the lowest of the low... as in name the most hated person/'s known to man and these are worse IMO!

FFS such billionaires could afford to give every member of staff enough to retire happily on, and then shut the business down leaving themselves with still more money than anyone could spend in 100 life times! And yet they and the shareholders want MORE!! More!! MORE!!

it doesn’t have to be this way. If you really cared about workers pay and conditions, would you be prepared to pay £5 for your chicken instead of £3 so that the workers can be paid a decent living wage?

The price of the chicken curry at the 'spoons would go up too.

Nobody's earning less than min wage. Why the flying xxx would anyone sell something at below manufacture cost? Do you?
Alternatively carry on believing that shareholders make millions out of £3 chickens and £1.09 for 4 pints of milk, just like all hifi manufacturers make millions out of their gullible loaded mug buyers. I mean you do, don't you? Just toss it off, bolt together a few Chinese made PCBs, bingo another £10k phono stage out the door and another Fireblade for track days. Or do you fancy an R1 to sit beside the MV, Ducati and Hayabusa in the garage? Tough decisions in the daily life of a hifi manufacturer, eh?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/employers-named-and-shamed-for-paying-less-than-minimum-wage

Many are earning less than minimum wage, there are umpteen sites with posts about it. The ones that are found out are not the most egregious examples, there are sweat shops all over the country where victims are paid next to nothing, have to pay landlords who are their employers rent to live in squalor. The UK is a bit of a hub for modern day slavery. At a less unpleasant level there are zero hours contracts where victims have to be available to work even though no work may be available.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/employers-named-and-shamed-for-paying-less-than-minimum-wage

Many are earning less than minimum wage, there are umpteen sites with posts about it. The ones that are found out are not the most egregious examples, there are sweat shops all over the country where victims are paid next to nothing, have to pay landlords who are their employers rent to live in squalor. The UK is a bit of a hub for modern day slavery. At a less unpleasant level there are zero hours contracts where victims have to be available to work even though no work may be available.

I'm afraid you are delusional if you think that this is even remotely limited to the UK.

Remember that this was happening when the UK was part of the EU, that haven of 'workers' rights'.

The offences you list are illegal and I hope and trust that the employers have faced the consequences. Your suggestion that people are routinely paid less than the min wage because there are cases if companies being prosecuted for doing so is as inaccurate as an assertion that because people are prosecuted for theft every week nobody ever pays for their groceries.

I'm afraid you are delusional if you think that this is even remotely limited to the UK.

Remember that this was happening when the UK was part of the EU, that haven of 'workers' rights'.

Shit, that makes it all ok then.
Yes, I do remember.
Most can see that JRM the ERG, the tw@ from Wetherspoons and others want this to be the norm, generally the EU tries to set standards to stop it, you don't like the EU.

This was happening despite being part of the EU.

One of the reasons for such high levels of immigration was because of the availability of low paid low skilled jobs in the UK. A white paper produced for parliament (2008) showed 48% of EU migrants ended up in low skilled/low paid jobs. The UK has or had a much larger low paid sector than other Western European nations , at 20%. Compared to Denmark that had 8%, France had 10%. So I would suggest this was nothing to do with being part of the EU. More to do with the rampant neoliberalism that the Tories have embraced like their long lost nannies.

So I would suggest delusion could be found closer to home.....

The offences you list are illegal and I hope and trust that the employers have faced the consequences. Your suggestion that people are routinely paid less than the min wage because there are cases if companies being prosecuted for doing so is as inaccurate as an assertion that because people are prosecuted for theft every week nobody ever pays for their groceries.

There is a black economy, it may have escaped you're notice.

so people break the law? I've noticed. Old news. So what?

So your first quoted post is bollocks.

drove the scenic route to Edinburgh. Out in a pub. Thinking about the 500 whiskies the hotel apparently has

Probably best just to think about them.

Shit, that makes it all ok then.
Yes, I do remember.
Most can see that JRM the ERG, the tw@ from Wetherspoons and others want this to be the norm, generally the EU tries to set standards to stop it, you don't like the EU.

The EU may (or may not) 'try to set standards', but that either means that the standards are insubstantial, or that the member countries ignore them anyway.

I would suggest some of both. The EU's roots lie, after all, in neoliberalism.

This was happening despite being part of the EU...

If you look back at my post, you'll see that that's exactly what I said.

The EU may (or may not) 'try to set standards', but that either means that the standards are insubstantial, or that the member countries ignore them anyway.
I would suggest some of both. The EU's roots lie, after all, in neoliberalism.

The shackles of the EU was one of the main moans of the Brexiteers but it now turns out they had control of low wage policies within the EU.
Why leave then? Was it to pursue higher wage policies for workers or even lower than what they got away with whilst in the EU.

Weak argument from you EV surprisingly. The Guardian article today I thought was very accurate in describing where the UK is now at. Still divided and Brexit hasn't hurt enough yet to sway leavers. The bit about the Labour party was also very true imho. They are caught between a rock and hard place unable to make much mileage out of the failings of Brexit because the electorate are still split 50/50 or thereabouts. Time will tell but I think it is only a matter of time. Will be interesting to see what course comes from it.

I have posted about this before. Wages for lots of work types in the UK are often much lower than Ireland. I was shocked at some of the stuff I came across. The city banking jobs would be an exception. I always thought the salary levels in that sector are obscene.

Brexit was all about preventing further integration and central control which might have squeezed that excess and tackled the massive tax avoidance.
As has been stated many times the working class Tories in England voted to save the bankers and traders. Well done them not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back