advertisement

Inheritance

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Interesting views from Mr Bond lately about not leaving inheritance for his children. Seems to be an emotive subject.What do others think?​

It's a question about as complex as 'should I have children or not'. So many factors to count in, for parents and children alike.

Only thing I can say with certainty: what we achieve in our lives is worth more than all the money we may or may not have. If not leaving any inheritance might motivate a child born with a penchant to lazyness, then why not.

Interesting views from Mr Bond lately about not leaving inheritance for his children. Seems to be an emotive subject.What do others think?​

Obvs it's Daniel Craig's money and he can do what he likes with it, but in principle as long as he's up-front about what he's doing, I can't see any problem. Difficulties tend to arise when people expect to inherit something, only to find it's all gone to charity or an unknown/secret partner.

Our property, what there is of it, will be split equally between our two children when we pop off, but of course we'll be helping them along in the meantime.

My Mum spoke to me last year about having a share of the proceeds of her house when she is gone. I always live for the moment so this kind of conversation is always unwelcome to me. I told her to spend it on herself as her life was still for living.I think my feelings come from an incident a few years ago. My grandad died in the late 80s.Just after his funeral, his brother turned up to ask for a share in what was their mother’s former house, a house that y grandparents lived in. It upset my grandmother greatly as she remembered that on acquiring the house, the brother received his share of the house in cash. He denied this but thankfully my grandad kept everything in his old deeds box. Sure enough, in there was a receipt for the money given to his brother, a sizeable amount. He was shown this and left hanging his head in shame.First time. I realised relatives could behave like this.Has always coloured my views.

As long as there're heirs on my head I'll continue to amass wealth for the inevitable frenzy after I've gone.:rolleyes:

My oldest daughter (44) (and granddaughter) is the last without an owned home. Not a good time to think about assisting in changing that situation but small steps are under consideration; not least her discovering how mortgageable she is as a first step.

I do know some people who are clearly waiting for an inheritance to dig them out of a financial hole.

The wife and I’s parents were tenants and so we never had the prospect of, or realised, a big inheritance. Whilst I’m sure that does make you too cautious with your own money it also makes planning and setting goals easier.

We thought it was hilarious when my other grandmother left her money to the church, an establishment she never attended. Other relatives weren’t so happy. When her husband had a stroke my Dad helped them to buy a house near to us and adapted the house to support my grandad. When they both died, he had to sell the house. He was so pestered by his sister that he just gave them the sale and told them to sell it and have the money. These were relatives that never lifted a finger whist his mum and dad were ill. He did it for love.

..... but of course we'll be helping them along in the meantime.
I'm sure you're aware but bear in mind that there are limits of what you can give them every year, and in the seven years prior to your death, it will still be liable for inheritance tax. Others on here probably know more, but I've just shovelled £5k to my daughter who's getting married this year, even though I've only seen her once in the last 10 years. But he seems a nice boy and I hope they're happy.

What Mr Craig says & what he does could be two different things. I think such comments are insensitive as many people of humble means would love to help their kids so to see some celeb spouting such crap is rather irksome. Even if he doesn’t leave his kids a penny I am sure they have benefited from a massively privileged upbringing.

Personally I intend to live my life to the full & ideally leave my kids property rather than cash.

Mr Craig's fortune is an eye watering amount accumulated through being a good impersonator and I think his point that it would be better divested to philanthropic goals a very good one. The more wealth that is redistributed, the better.

Our savings + house are relatively trifling by comparison but daughter will inherit on our demise to do with how she sees fit.
That said, both my mother and eldest sister required dementia support in care homes for their last years which took away a substantial slab of what they had in assets ... a not uncommon end of life situation nowadays. Added to that, my sister had been conned out of most of her savings without her children being aware until too late ... also not uncommon alas :(

What Mr Craig says & what he does could be two different things. I think such comments are insensitive as many people of humble means would love to help their kids so to see some celeb spouting such crap is rather irksome. Even if he doesn’t leave his kids a penny I am sure they have benefited from a massively privileged upbringing.

I think if you read what he actually said it makes a lot more sense and is far more nuanced than how some are reporting it (what a surprise..) and certainly not just 'celebrity crap'. He fully acknowledges that they have already benefitted substantially from his wealth and privilege (for instance) and don't need any more advantage heaped on that.

Our property, what there is of it, will be split equally between our two children when we pop off, but of course we'll be helping them along in the meantime.

That's pretty much our way of thinking. We've helped both of our children financially at various points along the way and they're both now better off financially than I ever was at their ages. They'll each get a tidy sum from our property when we go, and they've both also got a legacy coming from another source.

We intend to enjoy the rest of our money while we're still able to do so.

Home and worldly goods / owt left in the bank to the grandchildren, Lord only knows what their future holds. Daughters in their 40's seem to be well fixed.

Interestingly, the wife's family (3 sons, 5 daughters) have had no end of hassle over her Dad's will and disposal of his home in spite of the will being prepared by a solicitor and so concise it fitted on one side of A4!

I don't think that how wealthy folks plan to disperse their wealth after death has any more bearing on what I / Joe public might or should do, than how their eating habits influence what the wife and I have for dinner tonight:rolleyes:

Jim

Also in the UK if you have to go into long term care your money and assets will be used to pay for that care until it reduces to a given level.

So the average person often transfers their house and some of their assets to their children or starts a trust fund.

However in the case of Daniel Craig he has so much money that I doubt he will worry about any of that.

In a more general sense it does seem rather selfish not looking after your children when you were the person who was partly responsible for bringing them into the world and hopefully looking after their welfare.

However many times with people who have lots of money when they pass away often the outcome of the will is a surprise to the children or expectant relatives.

However in Daniel Craigs case who knows what he has done for them already to ensure their future, nobody really knows what he has or has not done, just comments he has made.

Links below for anyone that has not read it already, as can be seen different reporting on what he has or has not said, depends which headline you read.

https://news.sky.com/story/james-bo...nce-as-he-finds-practice-distasteful-12384357

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/hustle/daniel-craig-inheritance/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...nts-on-what-they-will-leave-to-their-children

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...niel-craig-children-inheritance-b1904647.html

I think if you read what he actually said it makes a lot more sense and is far more nuanced than how some are reporting it (what a surprise..) and certainly not just 'celebrity crap'. He fully acknowledges that they have already benefitted substantially from his wealth and privilege (for instance) and don't need any more advantage heaped on that.

That was my understanding - they won't be divying up the full £100m but they won't exactly be signing up for universal credit either.

Referring to 'kids' is a bit misleading - most folk will (hopefully) be well into middle age (at least) before they inherit anything from their parent's estate. Presumably most people will have already made their way in the world by then.

advertisement

Back