advertisement

Afghanistan withdrawal.

It's amazing, same happened in Beirut, my parents actually went there for honeymoon!

Makes one realise we might not be completely secure in our little bubble.
Beruit was at one point regarded as a Western paradise, where one could go skiing in the mountains in the morning and swimming in the Mediterranean in the afternoon. The problem was that, in the carve-up of the Ottoman Empire in the aftermath of the First World War, it fell under French jurisdiction and the French favoured the Maronite Christian minority, notably the Gemayel family, in a predominantly Moslem country. Bachir Gemayel's pro-Christian positions and his snuggling up to Israel set the scene for the catastrophe that followed.

With Islam, the big split is over who took over the firm when its founder died.
More that the 5th Caliph made his son the 6th and people disagreed as it was meant to be a consensus position, not inherited. After that it was the usual feuding dynasties story

Beruit was at one point regarded as a Western paradise, where one could go skiing in the mountains in the morning and swimming in the Mediterranean in the afternoon. The problem was that, in the carve-up of the Ottoman Empire in the aftermath of the First World War, it fell under French jurisdiction and the French favoured the Maronite Christian minority, notably the Gemayel family, in a predominantly Moslem country. Bachir Gemayel's pro-Christian positions and his snuggling up to Israel set the scene for the catastrophe that followed.
Not really, or at least it depends which country you are talking about: Syria or Lebanon. At the time of the French mandate (1920s) the Maronites were a minority of greater Syria, but were the majority population of Lebanon. The whole point of setting up Lebanon as a distinct country from Syria was to give the Maronite community a place where they could be the majority, free from the persecution of the 19th century and early 20th century. An Alawite coastal state was created at the same time (around Lattaquieh), and the rest of Syria broken up further. The problem was that the Maronites got a bit ambitious: in order to bolster the new country's economic potential, they persuaded the French occupants to add agricultural regions such as the Bekaa to the old (Mount Lebanon) territory, and the birth rate in those Muslim areas was much higher. With the benefit of hindsight, that might not have been the best move.

No census has been taken since 1932, for obvious reasons, but the estimate these days is 1/3 Christian and 2/3 Muslim. Not only have the Christians become a minority, but the Sunni Muslims have lost share and there are now as many if not more Shia Muslims.

The Gemayel family is a prominent one, but by no means the main or only one. Catastrophes were hitting Lebanon long before Bachir Gemayel could even walk. His father Pierre was a hardline nationalist, but can't be blamed for everything that went wrong in Lebanon before or after independence, either.

Not really, or at least it depends which country you are talking about: Syria or Lebanon. At the time of the French mandate (1920s) the Maronites were a minority of greater Syria, but were the majority population of Lebanon. The whole point of setting up Lebanon as a distinct country from Syria was to give the Maronite community a place where they could be the majority, free from the persecution of the 19th century and early 20th century. An Alawite coastal state was created at the same time (around Lattaquieh), and the rest of Syria broken up further. The problem was that the Maronites got a bit ambitious: in order to bolster the new country's economic potential, they persuaded the French occupants to add agricultural regions such as the Bekaa to the old (Mount Lebanon) territory, and the birth rate in those Muslim areas was much higher. With the benefit of hindsight, that might not have been the best move.

No census has been taken since 1932, for obvious reasons, but the estimate these days is 1/3 Christian and 2/3 Muslim. Not only have the Christians become a minority, but the Sunni Muslims have lost share and there are now as many if not more Shia Muslims.

The Gemayel family is a prominent one, but by no means the main or only one. Catastrophes were hitting Lebanon long before Bachir Gemayel could even walk. His father Pierre was a hardline nationalist, but can't be blamed for everything that went wrong in Lebanon before or after independence, either.
Thanks for the correction - I was always under the impression that the Maronites were the minority, simply because they were when I started paying attention.

It’s ironic, if not down-right funny.

The United States, a mighty world power with 1000s of nuclear weapons, has lost out to the Taliban.

Biden is now having to negotiate with a terrorist organisation.

I can’t help laughing inside to see yet another American President having to eat humble pie.

Biden is now having to negotiate with a terrorist organisation.

I'm not sure I understand your point. It was the Orange idiot that negotiated with the Taliban back in February 2020, invited them to Camp David, and organised the release of 5000 Taliban fighters. Indeed there are photo's of Mike Pompeo meeting with the leader of the Taliban.

Biden was stuck with the problem.

Tony Blair has pretty much called Biden an imbecile - the knives are out for Biden now. Blair’s been popping up all over the place in the press lately. Stand by for a political comeback in the next year.

Yes, and he expects to be judged by God so he can forget any comebacks here in the real world.

He’s coming back, he’s already denied it which is a sure sign that he is.

His latest ‘tough-talking’ article was published in the Daily Mail so that he can appear to outflank Boris from the Right. Classic Blair election strategy.

When Biden replaced Trump as President I thought this can only be for the better but his handling of the Afghanistan makes me think he is totally out of his depth. How can USA be so unfortunate to have two inadequate Presidents in a row...?

Just a reminder to guard against complacency in our thinking regarding events in Kabul as the evacuation seems to have settled into a steady pattern.

My worry is that the close proximity of the NATO troops to the Taliban fighters sparks an exchange of gun fire which escalates. The US military commanders will be aware of their precarious situation and it really will cost Biden his presidency if their soldiers are overwhelmed and taken prisoner. So I suspect the US have some major air power on a high state of readiness in the region but this also is a high risk strategy given the number of civilians in the vicinity which would also look terrible on the worlds media.

High stakes as always in Afghanistan.

Every nation with forces there US, Germany, Australia, us, etc., will have their special services people ready.

About 200 soldiers from 3 Scots the Black Watch have left their base in the Highlands in readiness to deploy to Afghanistan.

It’ll be reet then…

teJ-ga.gif

advertisement

Back