advertisement

Durham university and surrounds?

See... youngsters don't feel the cold. And up north the locals are well used to it. I have been in Newcastle on a night out, in winter. 1984 I would say. The girls were not wearing very much. Very little at all in fact.

Mind you I now have 20 yr old girls (twins) who go to clubs - they get dressed up in skimpy things and then wear tatty old trainers. I asked why - it is a thing now - the trainers are comfortable and tatty old ones best 'cos the club floor is mostly swimming in drink and sweat. And they want to stay in that until 4 in the morning!

As to Durham - once you have seen Durham (and the Cathedral, esp the Crypt is great) try going to the Sunderland Glass Museum...its ace. And the Cafe is superb too.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. My daughter liked Durham very much, and the university tour was good and very informative, showcasing their facilities and the immediate surroundings to great effect.

It was about 300 miles door to door and considering the distance and the weather she feels that Cambridge is still her preferred option, but since there are so many hurdles to getting a place there it’s good to have some options. More online open days and a few visits in person upcoming soon.

We had a visit to the cathedral plus a bit of shopping and some excellent food while we were there too, and very much enjoyed the walks along the river. We didn’t have time for Beamish since we had to be back for early afternoon the next day, but we did stop off at Whitby on the way back south. We all found it awful, and won’t be going back.

The university experience depends hugely on whether you are doing the right course in the right Uni and are staying in the right Halls and happen to be there with the right people.

So its a bit of a crap shoot. My own University has some amazing facilities and the campus is incredibly beautiful and easily traversed on a bike. Its a blinking expensive exercise though.

The large City universities are a bit Daunting and spread out with little reason for the different departments to bump into each other. The night life might make up for it.

We all found it awful, and won’t be going back.

you clearly have no taste.

The university experience depends hugely on whether you are doing the right course in the right Uni and are staying in the right Halls and happen to be there with the right people.

this is mostly correct. Find somewhere, where you know you'll be happy. I've seen so many students arrive in a rural campus university where a city campus would have suited.

A happy student is much more likely to be successful. Location, location, course content and pedagogy.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. My daughter liked Durham very much, and the university tour was good and very informative, showcasing their facilities and the immediate surroundings to great effect.

It was about 300 miles door to door and considering the distance and the weather she feels that Cambridge is still her preferred option, but since there are so many hurdles to getting a place there it’s good to have some options. More online open days and a few visits in person upcoming soon.

We had a visit to the cathedral plus a bit of shopping and some excellent food while we were there too, and very much enjoyed the walks along the river. We didn’t have time for Beamish since we had to be back for early afternoon the next day, but we did stop off at Whitby on the way back south. We all found it awful, and won’t be going back.
I never really understand the fuss about Whitby, it was always considered a bit of a hole when I was growing up. Many people love it so I didn’t want to rain on your parade. Tynemouth is a lot nicer. NE is a great area though.

My favourite east coast visits are runswick bay and sands end. Whitby is a place I remember as a harbour for fishing trips and great fish and chips.
The goth festival is fun though.

Sands End is nice, not much to it though. Robin Hoods Bay is lot nicer than Whitby. I prefer Scarborough to Whitby also; I am very well aware of its faults though.

you clearly have no taste.

Ha! I presume that was in jest. We arrived fairly early and it was already packed with visitors, many of whom had incontinent dogs they had no intention of cleaning up after.

There was rubbish piled up all over the place, and everywhere we went was dirty and looked very run down. The shops were mostly full of overpriced tat, and with the tide out there was an overwhelming air of rotten eggs and dead fish to go with the wafting dog poo and chip fat aromas. Perhaps it was just the wrong day to visit.

Ha! I presume that was in jest. We arrived fairly early and it was already packed with visitors, many of whom had incontinent dogs they had no intention of cleaning up after.

There was rubbish piled up all over the place, and everywhere we went was dirty and looked very run down. The shops were mostly full of overpriced tat, and with the tide out there was an overwhelming air of rotten eggs and dead fish to go with the wafting dog poo and chip fat aromas. Perhaps it was just the wrong day to visit.

sounds perfect to me, in fact we were going to spend a couple of nights there as part of a roadtrip

I suppose if you can visit Whitby on the wrong day, you could also visit Durham on the wrong day too?

We’ve been to Cambridge many times as it’s so close so she knows she likes the area, and we’ve been to the folk festival and strawberry fayre amongst other events multiple times with the kids.

The history and language course content appeals to her as does the collegiate system so she thinks she could be happy and study well there, but is realistic enough to realise that nothing is guaranteed.

I Went To The Worst Nightclub In Europe
It was No. 2—but then No. 1 burnt down.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8qbzzg/i-went-to-klute-the-worst-night-club-in-europe
Dodgy signage , dodgy geezer hanging about inside,

BSvBBmw.jpg

jxa5Bx8.jpg

Better off staying darn sarf then.

Yes, maybe, but like all 6th formers she’s really keen on finding the right course for her, and is excited about leaving the nest and finding her own way.

I think she will probably want to continue studying after degree level but you never know what will happen so we’re focussed on finding a good course in a place that she’s happy and comfortable and we’ll see what happens.

Update on the Durham visit thread - probably now a pointless trip as my daughter has had an offer from Cambridge today, for what was her preferred course and location from everywhere we looked.

We haven't heard anything from Durham as yet, but if they do make an offer it will probably be similar to or the same as Cambridge, and so no use as the insurance option either. Bristol will therefore be the second choice, so we'll definitely be taking a trip down there in the next few months if possible.

advertisement

Back