advertisement

Heavy duty Hand Cleaner recommendations

It’s good to see that over the last twenty years in the aviation industry there has been a real culture change from the macho, filthy hands and overalls attitude to realising that it absolutely is for our benefit.

I see the same thing on construction sites also - good contractors have a choice of cleansers in the (clean!) site facilities - not remotely unusual to see the choice of hand pre-cleanser, cleanser, moisturiser, barrier creme and a sunblock (or choice of two) above the sinks. It, and mental wellbeing as part of occupational health, is taken seriously. About bloody time, too.

I see the same thing on construction sites also - good contractors have a choice of cleansers in the (clean!) site facilities - not remotely unusual to see the choice of hand pre-cleanser, cleanser, moisturiser, barrier creme and a sunblock (or choice of two) above the sinks. It, and mental wellbeing as part of occupational health, is taken seriously. About bloody time, too.
Good to hear. And yes, mental health here too, especially as quite a few guys I work with have seen combat. The whole workforce is more aware, the bosses fully support it, and there’s an independent mental healthcare company that anyone can call, anytime, even just for a chat.

Briggs and Stratton Ultracare is the best hand cleaner I've ever used. I'd be interested to know who makes it for them.

Some suggestions upthread to use Bio detergents as part of the routine. DO NOT. Non-bio would be fine -

Bio detergents have enzymes that are not meant for skin contact - as it will warn you on the box.

Workers in factories using these enzymes are tested to make sure they are not allergic to them. I guess some of you have found that you are not allergic! - but washing your hands to find out is not the best way of going about things!

Orange is good stuff for cleaning - but most important to let it do the work without any water first.

I used to use Swarfega for years but have now discovered "Vera gloves" a term I coined to describe a box of a 100 transparent poly gloves as used by that famous screen detective lady up North to examine crime scenes that my wife sourced from Sainsburys that are thin enough to allow good tactile contact with work piece.

eddie

I have noticed how frequently craftspeople and technicians of all sorts use disposable gloves for any work at all these days.

Ever thought about wearing latex gloves like most of the garage techies do nowadays, you wouldn’t delve into your amp to fit a new pcb, or your CD player to fit a new laser without putting on a pair of anti static assembly gloves now would you!!

advertisement

Back