advertisement

Curious about SPUs - where to start?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
Looking for some input from those with experience using SPUs. I have several questions I hope you can help with. I'll be using this in a Garrard 401 with a 12" Jelco 750 arm.

1. It seems that SPUs have a distinctive character. To those who prefer them, can you characterize how they compare to the other cartridges you've used and what it is you find so attractive? In other words, say something like "I was using such-and-such a cartridge and when I put the SPU (model whatever) into my system I just felt like I'd come home..."

Alternatively, if you used to run an SPU but eventually moved on to another cartridge, I'd be interested in hearing that story.

2. Any opinions about reliable, trustworthy SPU rebuilders? Is it worth it?

3. Where to start with my first SPU? Should I simply buy a new SPU #1 either conical or elliptical to get a sense of the SPU sound? Or would I be better off buying something used from higher up the line?

4. How long do SPUs last? Seems like there are a ka-gillion of them on fleabay. I expect that most of them are worn out. Thoughts? Advice?

5. Any opinions about conical, elliptical, vs. the more exotic diamond profiles? Kinda seems like if you want to excavate detail out of the groove with a microline or shibata or whatever then one of the other Ortofons, or a Dynavector might better fill the bill. Or am I missing something?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice or information you can provide.

Don't know much about the sound of them but Ortofon offer a full rebuild service which presumably restores them to "as new" condition.

Ortofon SPUs are quite old-fashioned 'characteristic' things, and play music rather differently compared to most modern MC cartridges, including Ortofon's own, but in many ways they are all quite special, if not for everybody. Some time ago I wrote a blog piece on my website to explain the differences between SPU stereo models, and I've just updated that with current price information - see https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/sounds-and-flavours-of-ortofon-spu-stereo-cartridges/

These are my own thoughts, based on my own listening experience, but I hope it's helpful. As always, YMMV!

Thanks @Shuggie. I'll head over to the ammonite link to read what you've written.

In the meantime, I created a duplicate of this thread starter over on the Classic Forum. I figure this Forum gets more traffic, hence posted it here. I recognize it probably more properly belongs in the Classic Forum. But anyway, here it is.

Cross-posting isn’t a good move so I’ve shifted this into the classic room where I suspect it will get the most looks over time.

I’ve heard a couple of SPU’s. They were both on a Pioneer PL71 through NVA amps into NVA speakers.

I liked them both (conical and elliptical). I’m not sure that I can describe the sound of the cartridge even though I use NVA amps and speakers. What I will say is that the system above is very enjoyable to listen to. It just has a “rightness” about musical reproduction - a kind of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. I thought that the difference between the 2 stylii was marginal at best.

I’m currently using a bog-standard Denon 103 with a PL71 and when the cartridge replacement time arrives I’ll certainly be considering a SPU.

There are only a few things you need to know about SPUs:
1. Make sure your tonearm is the correct mass to match the mass of the heavy SPU cartridge. Preferably use a 12" tonearm.
2. The best value for money SPU is the Classic GE MKII.
3. The best current SPU is the SPU Royal G MKII. The Meister Silver G MKII is also very good.
4. The best ever SPU is the 90th Anniversary model - no question!
5. There are a few Anniversary models which are also very good like the 85th Anniversary model etc. However, avoid the 95th Anniversary version as it is not very good. I think they tried to combine too many bits from the Ortofon A95.
6. Any rebuilding just send it back to Ortofon, or to one of their "Dealers of Excellence", which we are one.

I have most on demonstration and have been using SPUs since the mid 1990s and really rekindled the interest in 12" tonearms and Ortofon SPUs during the last 25 years, as I used them at the major UK and German Hi-Fi Shows between 1997 and 2003. I was the only one using them when everyone else had given up on analogue replay and was pursuing digital...

Last edited:
On the front end of a big horn system the SPU sounds pretty amazing...

P1020238-e1594483433982.jpeg

BTW those horns weighed 4.5 tonnes... :eek:
(Munich High-end Show 2012)

I have a lowly SPU #1 elliptical. It just plays everything I throw at it, from horrible noise to classic jazz to delicate folk. It has nice body (it's probably describable as "warmish" but I wouldn't overstate it) and is a good tracker. It's the best all-round MC cartridge I've ever owned. For reference, I've also owned some exotica - most recently an Ortofon Rohmann, and a 47 Labs MC Bee. It's particularly good with a tubed MM phono stage and an MC headamp, but I'm currently using it with a Pro-ject solid state phono stage and it works very well with that. You will probably want to experiment with loading, if your phono stage allows it. The default loading of many MC stages is 100 ohms, to my ears this is too high. 50 ohms seems about right. Some people will tell you you will only get the best out of them with a well-matched MC step up transformer. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand the attraction of that solution.

Reactions: GT
You will probably want to experiment with loading, if your phono stage allows it.

Yes, but only really applicable if your using a solid-state head-amp or phono stage. With a valve/tube phono stage getting the correct amount of gain is the most important thing for the best signal to noise.

@G T Audio
Thanks for the recommendations about the cartridges in the lineup. For the Classic GE MkII I'm guessing that has an elliptical diamond. Is that what you generally recommend? Or for some models in the range do you recommend a conical/spherical diamond...
Thanks,
Markus

@G T Audio
Thanks for the recommendations about the cartridges in the lineup. For the Classic GE MkII I'm guessing that has an elliptical diamond. Is that what you generally recommend? Or for some models in the range do you recommend a conical/spherical diamond...
Thanks,
Markus

For modern records and recordings (1950s/60s onwards) the elliptical is best and certainly produces the lowest noise.

I’m using a Royal GM Mk II on my Thorens TD-124 Mk 1 with original Ortofon RMG-212 tonearm (1958).

I love the combination, and compared the SPU with my DV and EMT carts using an Ortofon LH-9000 headshell. I formed an impression that the SPU is a bit more midrange-centric, with comparable levels of detail. May not have matched the “jump factor” of the EMT, but still a fine match to the melodic jazz and folk music I mostly listen to. Someday I would like to try a suitable modern tonearm from Ortofon, or perhaps even a Groovemaster II, but I will be sticking with SPUs for this deck.

@G T Audio
Do you think the Jelco SA 750L 12" arm is an appropriate match for an SPU?
Having heard the difference (30+ years ago) between a Linn Ittok and an Ekos I know that tonearms make a huge difference. I have no sense of how the Jelco compares to other options. It was reasonably priced and I got it when I bought my Garrard 401. Even though I heard the difference between the Ittok and the Ekos I've never been sufficiently motivated to spend the money necessary to upgrade. I've tend to simply buy more music. But I'm interested in hearing your perspective on tonearms for the SPUs...
Thanks,
Markus

Another question. My phono stage is a high sensitivity moving coil LCR. Designed for inputs from .1 to .5 mV. Must I use a step up transformer in order to "get" the SPU sound?

Are you sure it is 0.1mV to 0.5mV? If it is then I assume it is a MC phono stage? In that case you won't need to use a Step-up Transformer.

@G T Audio
Do you think the Jelco SA 750L 12" arm is an appropriate match for an SPU?
Having heard the difference (30+ years ago) between a Linn Ittok and an Ekos I know that tonearms make a huge difference. I have no sense of how the Jelco compares to other options. It was reasonably priced and I got it when I bought my Garrard 401. Even though I heard the difference between the Ittok and the Ekos I've never been sufficiently motivated to spend the money necessary to upgrade. I've tend to simply buy more music. But I'm interested in hearing your perspective on tonearms for the SPUs...
Thanks,
Markus

I know people use the Jelco arms with SPUs, but I think they are a little down on mass for best results. Unfortunately there are not that many good tonearms for SPUs today if you are looking at new tonearms. The best tonearms I have heard for use with SPUs are the SME M2-12R, followed by the Ortofon AS-309i (silver wired), followed by the SME 3012-GTA and 3012-R. Other good tonearms are the Fidelity Research FR-66S and FR-64S, plus some of the Ortofon tonearms made in Japan especially for use with SPUs and EMTs.

advertisement

Back