advertisement

Heavy duty Hand Cleaner recommendations

I use skin cream when I’m told to by the ex-girlfriend. Makes a big difference. I work with guys who’ve treated their hands so badly over the years that in winter, working outside, they’ll crack and bleed. I think I’ll try to avoid that.

Mine do that weekly when I'm training outside on the stones etc...

Creams a waste of time for me, softens the skin and then it just tears again

But; horses for courses n all that

I wear golf gloves for most dirty garage work whenever possible - certainly more useful there than on the golf course in my case!

My preferred method 40 years ago: Scotchbrite pads and MEK!
MEK! Brings back memories of my aircraft engineering apprenticeship…….”listen guys, this mek stuff is kept in a kettle, it’s good but bloomin nasty so don’t muck about with it, & on no accounts inhale it” etc.
So you can guess what the first thing we did when the instructor turned his back on us!

MEK! Brings back memories of my aircraft engineering apprenticeship…….”listen guys, this mek stuff is kept in a kettle, it’s good but bloomin nasty so don’t muck about with it, & on no accounts inhale it” etc.
So you can guess what the first thing we did when the instructor turned his back on us!

And when a new guy gets to the end of his first day on the job, and you know he has some little cuts on his hands: “Hey, wash your hands with MEK, it’ll clean your skin, prevents infection.”

:)

I use skin cream when I’m told to by the ex-girlfriend. Makes a big difference. I work with guys who’ve treated their hands so badly over the years that in winter, working outside, they’ll crack and bleed. I think I’ll try to avoid that.

^^^^
THIS
Treat your hands with respect - if you don't they will get their own back on you big time ... mine have .. and cracked/flaking/bleeding hands every winter is absolutely no joy
Barrier cream, gloves, regular moisturiser and above all NEVER cleaning them with solvents or other assorted chemical crap (especially not washing powder, kitchen cleaners and such !!)

Last edited:
I wash my hands with either a bit of washing soda in the bowl of water or rub a small amount of biological washing powder on my hands and wash them. Rinse off with cold water.

I wash my hands with either a bit of washing soda in the bowl of water or rub a small amount of biological washing powder on my hands and wash them. Rinse off with cold water.
Ouch. Step this way for dermatitis. Don't do this. There's no need.

I don’t need cleaners often but use two different ones, both bike based.

Fenwicks bike cleaner for grease. For chains I keep little bottles of about 60ml made up 1:9 as this is strong enough and use one with the chain bath. If I’m cleaning a drivetrain with the old small paintbrush I use it 1:1 in a small spray bottle so this is what I use for hand cleaning if they are greasy.

Rema Tip Top hand cleaner for oils or paints, again initially from bikes but my partner is a painter and told me she had tried everything, I got her to try different things I had and this was the first one that truly cleaned her hands and arms from the inevitable oil paint spots she picks up.

I know both of these can be bought in smaller or larger containers.

As a quick aside I have Bilt Hamber Surfex HD as part of my car detailing stuff and have this diluted in a spray bottle for household but have to share the Amazon comment that made me laugh - take a look at the first Q&A “can it be used on upvc windows…” https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FR41QA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you don’t use it already you could start using a barrier cream before starting work. This will make any of the above more effective.

regards

Kevin
I was going to say just this then saw @kevinrt 's post. It really does help. The only problem I have is I sometimes forget until I'm half way through the job!

This was a problem I had with my hands, it has taken several years of daily use of skin cream to remedy the cracking, particularly of my finger joints.

Whenever I can now, I wear nitrile gloves at work, and I’ll have a few pairs in my pocket to allow for the inevitable torn gloves. Finishing the week with clean fingernails is a real win for me.
We have skin checks every month, and our visiting occupational health nurse always checks our hands too. It’s good to see that over the last twenty years in the aviation industry there has been a real culture change from the macho, filthy hands and overalls attitude to realising that it absolutely is for our benefit.

Edit: prevention is better than cure (XTC)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PK8TL9H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
And when a new guy gets to the end of his first day on the job, and you know he has some little cuts on his hands: “Hey, wash your hands with MEK, it’ll clean your skin, prevents infection.”

:)

This is nice stuff in all my cuts on a daily basis, stings like a mofo.

I use O'Keefes before bed and it seems to stave off the winter splits/cracks etc, but only just. I've tried gloves a few times but it either eats them or they just get cut to ribbons when sticking my hands in as there's barely any room for them, that or they get so slippy as to be useless for working in.

This is nice stuff in all my cuts on a daily basis, stings like a mofo.

I use O'Keefes before bed and it seems to stave off the winter splits/cracks etc, but only just. I've tried gloves a few times but it either eats them or they just get cut to ribbons when sticking my hands in as there's barely any room for them, that or they get so slippy as to be useless for working in.
We also have gloves at work for when there’s a lot of hydraulic fluid around. Less sensitive for the fingertips, but good to use.

Ouch. Step this way for dermatitis. Don't do this. There's no need.
No sign of dermatitis after doing it for over 40 years and I have never suffered from splits, cracks, bleeding etc. I get filthy hands almost everyday from dealing with soil, stone, bricks, paving, cement, mortar, grinders, mixers, chainsaws, hedgetrimmers, and all sorts of other machinery (especially when it won't start and has to be taken apart). My hands are still soft and supple and I don't use moisturiser or any sort of cream. My other half, who uses all the very expensive creams etc (she was a professional in the fashion industry), is very envious. So I guess it just comes down to your own particular skin.

No sign of dermatitis after doing it for over 40 years and I have never suffered from splits, cracks, bleeding etc. I get filthy hands almost everyday from dealing with soil, stone, bricks, paving, cement, mortar, grinders, mixers, chainsaws, hedgetrimmers, and all sorts of other machinery (especially when it won't start and has to be taken apart). My hands are still soft and supple and I don't use moisturiser or any sort of cream. My other half, who uses all the very expensive creams etc (she was a professional in the fashion industry), is very envious. So I guess it just comes down to your own particular skin.
Of course, there's no guarantee that it will harm you. If your skin stands up to being washed with soap powder and the like, lucky you. Most people however are not so fortunate.

I suppose it’s like smoking cigarettes. Some smoke til their dying day at some ripe old age, others cough up some blood at 52 and are gone before 55.

I’d only advise the younger me to take more, not less care. Apart from anything to do with skin condition, some of the nasties I’ve dealt with will pass through skin and into your blood. No thanks!

No problems whatsoever with my skin at all during decades of heavy duty abuse with paints, printing inks, solvents, engine oil, earth, cement, plaster, etc, etc, etc - you name it !!

Then in my early sixties the crap hit the proverbial and the cumulative effect came home to roost, in cold weather my knuckles started to crack and bleed.
Thought it wouldn't get any worse but now in my '70s and each year gets more tedious.

Spring/Summer is fine and with judicious use of gloves, cream, etc, I can still get to do the jobs I enjoy doing and get through the day without too much burning, itching and/or flaking.
Come Autumn I pretty much shut down any and all manual graft - just not a bearable situation. Even just going for a walk and doing some photography is a challenge.

I kid you not ......

I've got some Somerset's Hand Guard which I use before starting any dirty work. It makes getting my hand clean after a lot easier.

advertisement

Back