advertisement

Have any of you set up a photo website?

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I'm considering setting up a website for my photos. I've used Tumbler 7-8 years ago but I think things have moved on a bit since then, I wondered what platforms others are using?

Any recommendations or warnings?

Kevin

That was the one I was looking at. I think it will fit what I want but it is quite pricey.

Is it easy to manage?

Yes very easy, once you've selected a Template (which you can change), its a very inuitive interface, click, drop, etc - obviously being a template driven tool, you only have a selection of fonts and font sizes foir text, but I've found it easy to clean quite a clean website - I think you have a trial period to see if you like it, and just about every photography youtuber offers a 10% off discount code for your first year.

I've used WIX to build a website and for travel blogs in the past, which is very straightforward and similar to squarespace. Its also not that expensive. I also built our charity (which we have now shut down) website using wordpress. Building the site is the easy bit. The search optimisation takes a bit more thought though

I used to pay for hosting and website name when I was practicing photography more regularly.
Now I use Tumblr because a) it’s free, b) has reasonable assortment of free themes, c) it supports multiple daughter sites and d) I can reach more people.
I used it as a visual diary before COVID but it’s been a bit dormant since the pandemic started

I have a Flickr account but I am practically inactive there, it’s mostly a repository of my travel photos

PS some Tumblr themes don’t work that well on a smartphone

My wife created a site for herself with Wordpress.org. It's more of a blog rather than a photo site, and she seems to spend more time administering it rather than posting content (and I was a Unix System Administrator in a past life). It may be more complicated than you want, but it does allow a good degree of flexibility.

My wife created a site for herself with Wordpress.org. It's more of a blog rather than a photo site, and she seems to spend more time administering it rather than posting content (and I was a Unix System Administrator in a past life). It may be more complicated than you want, but it does allow a good degree of flexibility.

I used Wordpress years ago for hosting a small company website, it's not that different from Tumblr.

Will be following this thread with keen interest - I've just registered a domain and been looking at Squarespace. Sure it might not be the cheapest but the templates look appealing, and the UI appears very straightforward - important for folk like me! :)

advertisement

Back