advertisement

Bi-amping with quad 606 and 306

MEMF1980

pfm Member
Hi all,

I was wondering if any one has tried bi-amping with a quad 606 and a 306? I upgraded to a 606 a few months ago and before I sell (or shelve) my 306 I wondered if it’s worth trying and wanted to check how best to do it.

I use a tisbury passive pre so I believe I can use the 2 outputs to send signal to each amp.

My speakers are Kef R3’s

Haven’t tried yet as I need to buy some new speaker wire (I inherited some audioquest bi-wire from a friend).

any advice greatly appreciated.
Jon

not had either amplifier, but I have used three different amplifiers (from the same stable) to power three-way speakers. Great satisfaction.

51390027110_1ea3a55a96_z.jpg

ahhh I did wonder if that would be an issue … not as simple as I had hoped …. Thanks

A pre with two outputs and then put your passive between one of the outputs and the 606, so you can set it to the same level as the 306, and then leave the passive at exactly that setting and control vol from the main pre... and you should be good to go.

not had either amplifier, but I have used three different amplifiers (from the same stable) to power three-way speakers. Great satisfaction.

51390027110_1ea3a55a96_z.jpg

I have had similar for decades: use 4 amps (two monoblocks) all from different manufacturers (except the monoblocks). I am satisfied...but I have heard better systems than mine.

Just to resurrect this

Seen a fair bit of advice suggesting bi-amping can be effective.

Anyone had and experience?

I have a Quad 606/66 pre and could probably pick up another 606 for not too much money. I’ve a reel of cable already…

Speakers are relatively beefy but not too expensive Monitor Audio RS8

pointless rabbit hole? Or potential not mega expensive upgrade. ..

Why not? I used to have 44/405 and doubling up the 405s was a big improvement. Of course the 405 was known to run out of steam into 4R loads, the 606 doesn't, but it's a cheap experiment and if no go, easy resale.

advertisement

Back