advertisement

Linn lingo

I bought my Lingo1 because it was the done thing and I used it for over 10 years, the time it took for me to realise that my system had virtually zero sassyness and sounded like a CD. So out went the Lingo, my Lehman Black Cube and my Denon DL304 and I managed to get a Norton AirPower along with a Denon 103Pro and a Puresound P10 followed by an Esco Troika and now my old P77. The title of the song ? Back to the Mardi Gras.

I bought my Lingo1 because it was the done thing and I used it for over 10 years, the time it took for me to realise that my system had virtually zero sassyness and sounded like a CD. So out went the Lingo, my Lehman Black Cube and my Denon DL304 and I managed to get a Norton AirPower along with a Denon 103Pro and a Puresound P10 followed by an Esco Troika and now my old P77. The title of the song ? Back to the Mardi Gras.
Sassyness is a seldom used term to describe HiFi but I like it :)

There is often a compromise to me made but I know what you mean about the Lingo 1 and the Lingo 2 takes it even further.

Would like to hear a Norton LP12 one day.

Well I'm probably going sh armageddon to be honest as 45s don't bother me ,and fits in nicely with my other olive gear lol
For the longest time when I had a full Naim system, it bugged me that the logo on the 'Geddon did not light up. But at least the olive hue matched the other seven boxes. :D

For the longest time when I had a full Naim system, it bugged me that the logo on the 'Geddon did not light up. But at least the olive hue matched the other seven boxes. :D
I didn’t realise the Geddon logo didn’t illuminate… it’d cost pence to make it illuminate and wouldn’t affect performance at all.

I didn’t realise the Geddon logo didn’t illuminate… it’d cost pence to make it illuminate and wouldn’t affect performance at all.
Not according to the Naim dealer. He did offer a light-up kit, but said that there is a reason why Naim didn't fit it from the factory. It sounds better without.

Not according to the Naim dealer. He did offer a light-up kit, but said that there is a reason why Naim didn't fit it from the factory. It sounds better without.
Hmmm, depends how they implement it… I’m sure I could make it illuminate without a difference being detected in a blind test.

Perhaps a battery-powered light?
Or just a tiny power supply connected in parallel with the transformer… if that effects the performance, then everything plugged in anywhere in your house will, your amps included.

Or just a tiny power supply connected in parallel with the transformer… if that effects the performance, then everything plugged in anywhere in your house will, your amps included.
As I understand it (not much admittedly) there is a difference whether the source of interference or noise is upstream (other appliances) or downstream (LP12 motor and light-up PSU) of the transformer.

I’d have thought that the sight of a revolving platter was a better indicator than any illuminated logo.
Indeed… I’m a sucker for visual continuity though, and I do love the look of the illuminated naim logo!

I'll get a strobe-equipped Technics next time.
Touché, can’t argue with a Technics DD, they’re excellent… I still bought another LP12 when the cards (or a budget of £3.5-4k) was on the table. A Technics 1210-GAE, Roksan Xerxes 20+ and a Rega P10 were the other decks I considered… but I was pulled in by a used and then thoughtfully upgraded LP12.

I bought my Lingo1 because it was the done thing and I used it for over 10 years, the time it took for me to realize that my system had virtually zero sassyness and sounded like a CD.

Music vs Hi-Fi. It's so easy to get sucked in by technical improvements and miss the fact the music is worse.

Would like to hear a Norton LP12 one day.

I had a Norton, it's a full bodied sound that suits the LP12 well, but to be honest I've had the original capacitor PSU, Majik, Vahalla, Norton and Avondale and in my opinion the improvements are marginal. Not nothing but not huge either. My new deck is using the Majik and it sounds great. Every deck I've heard with a basic power supply has had a lovely swing to it which I'm not convinced is improved on by the better ones.

advertisement

Back