advertisement

Covid Vaccine Booster Dose?

George J

Herefordshire member
As countries like the USA and Israel seem to edge closer to implementing a booster dose for Covid 19 in the near future I thought this might be suitable topic for discussion. I have thought hard about this, and being a daily viewer of John Campbell's updates on the pandemic, via YouTube, I thought I'd post a link to today's presentation, and also post what I put in the public comments below the vid. I have a very strong view on this, as may be perceived from my YouTube comment.

"The reality is that it would be hard to justify early third doses when the majority of the human race who wants vaccination will not even have had first a dose, let alone a completed course.

"I am a vaccine enthusiast, for examples, from Tetanus and Blackleg in sheep to Measles and Chicken-pox in humans ... I made the effort to get the earliest possible dose [as it happens Oxford A-Z] and waited the due eleven weeks for the second dose, in March and June 2021.

"I would have to weigh with great thoughtfulness having a third dose, for example, if India had not yet vaccinated all Indians who wish it with a full course.

"I am quite old enough to know my glory days are behind me [sixty later this year] and will accept my eventual mortality with grace and equanimity, whatever brings about my demise. I don't expect others to take special care round me, though I do take care for others in shops and on the bus, wearing a mask... etc.

"Covid has been serious in many countries so far, but much bigger problems are global climate change and burning of finite fossil fuel resulting in the massive jump in levels of CO2 in the atmosphere over the last fifty years. Unless this is sorted out shortly, and reversed in time, Covid is going to look like a bottle of spilt milk compared to the house burning down.

"So sorry not to be so full of "hopium" ... I plan for the worst, and if it does not quite happen I can feel blessed."

What do others think? Is it better for the developed nations to protect their own populations, or is it ethically more important to take the global view and get the maximum number of people in all nations who want to be vaccinated fully dosed before we start taking up booster doses?

All the best from George

Last edited:
i would take a third dose, you can't save the world, but you might just be able to save yourself, bring it on, and another 3 days off work, as im not feeling to good after the jab, :rolleyes:

yes we are opening the church fully for business from sept 5 [ with folks wearing masks ] but i know some who wont be coming back till they have had that booster

Agree, ridiculous that the west is normalising boosters in the absence of any evidence of their benefits, while the majority of the vulnerable in other countries have yet to have a single dose. A sure sign of how we’ll handle the climate catastrophe as well. It’s an unprecedented ethical and political failure.

Thinking about this non-selfishly, we ought to vaccinate people in the developing world (before giving people a third dose) because it's the right thing to do. Thinking about this selfishly, we ought to vaccinate people in the developing world (before giving people a third dose) so a nasty variant doesn't arise for which we have little or no immunity.

Joe

Something else to add into the mix is the fact that booster production/demand is hampering the normal annual 'flu. jabs with a shortage due to capacity and a little doubt over which will be the dominant strain this season as there has been a supressed 'flu. season.

If we're to get on top of this pandemic, everyone has to be vaccinated that can be

we'll never be top side of it while pockets of the virus remain.

it will certainly be a moral dilemma for some (myself included)

If I'm offered a third dose, I'll take it under the assumption that my abstaining wouldn't make that dose available to someone in a poor country. That said, there is still a discussion to be had regarding allocation of available doses. My understanding of the British plans is that a booster will only be initially offered to those at highest risk.

I’ve yet to have my second dose, but if a booster is recommended and available I’ll take it. It won’t go to a more needy country if I don’t.

I will certainly not take a 3rd dose and will try to organise protests against the practice. In a crowded field it’s the most depressing political development in recent years. It fills me with despair.

(Different story for the immunocompromised and very frail. Absolutely should not be for everyone.)

Needing to take immune suppressants to help control rheumatoid arthritis, plus having a serious related lung condition, I really don't fancy my chances of surviving if I get infected. So yep, you bet I'll be having a booster if offered as I'm sure the vast majority of people in my position would do. There's still a lot of uncertainty about how much of an immune response the immunosuppressed get from these vaccines, but it's almost certainly less than someone with a healthy immune system as I believe is the case with both flu and pneumonia vaccines, so a booster may have little benefit, but I'll take my chances with that. Apparently there should be some results forthcoming soon about the effect these vaccines have on people who are immunocompromised by a body known as the Octave Research. I live in hope!........................

I will take a third jab because I was told by my Haematologist that the second jab I received was probably ineffective as I was on immuno chemotherapy at the time. I am being careful where I go who I see etc until I get the booster.

Last edited:
The data from Israel is concerning - one of the first countries to mass vaccinate. There may be special factors but it’s looking like their Pfizer vaccine effectiveness is dropping off dramatically. If their uptick in deaths carries on at the current rate for a few more weeks they’ll be back to square one. Ignoring the important aspect of new variants for a moment..might it be that the vaccines are only effective for 6 to 12 months and then boosters are needed?

advertisement

Back