advertisement

Guy Martin’s blue minnow car programme.

And anyway, Apple batteries are not user replaceable. That’s a point of principle it seems.
Why only pick on Apple? User-replaceable batteries in mobile phones are becoming less and less common, so perhaps Apple were just ahead of the game. And when you look at what’s involved, having Apple replace the battery is done at a reasonable price.

Absolutely - I wouldn't have considered one as a road car a few years ago...

I bet there’s people out there looking at batteries that’ll power a car for, say, ten laps of Brands Indy circuit, with some KERS, and rapid chargers in the paddock. The lighter the rest of the car is, the better. I wouldn’t be surprised if a Radical type car with safety equipment could be at a kerb weight of 1250kg, which would be attractive to many.

I bet there’s people out there looking at batteries that’ll power a car for, say, ten laps of Brands Indy circuit, with some KERS, and rapid chargers in the paddock. The lighter the rest of the car is, the better. I wouldn’t be surprised if a Radical type car with safety equipment could be at a kerb weight of 1250kg, which would be attractive to many.
I'd say considerably less than 1250Kgs - the Formula E cars weigh 900Kgs (385kg of that is battery) and they can race for 45 minutes, so for 10 laps of the Indy Circuit 120Kgs of battery should be fine.

I work with supporting 'Formula Student' which is a competition for students to design and build an electric race car within a set of rules. ALL the top performers have been electric for the last few years (you can use upto a 700cc bike engine). We aim for a 250kg car with a range of about 20km on a charge. They are very much designed for small autocross style events, but they do go well:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT, just for reference as this is in competition this will be running with restricted power, it will be capable of going faster than this! and this is 2019 so there have been a couple of evolutions of the car since then.

still only speculation and guesses, but there are hints in the press that Porsche might be unveiling an EV sports car concept in Sept.

EV Boxster anyone?

“Plans for EV sportscar”

Well, it’s that or start winding the company up before 2030. No choice.

Facing the prospect of a ban on new ICE engined cars, sports car manufacturer Porsche develops electric sports car. Colour me surprised.

Given that Macans and Taycans are the lifeblood of Porsche, a delay in developing a smaller sports car might have been on the cards.

Very few companies have jumped in with small EV sports cars yet.....is there an EV TT, or an EV MX5...

I mentioned upthread that I was surprised there were no EV coupes. Many are second cars and don’t need the practicality or range of the family barge. And the halo effect of cool EVs should help with image and wider adoption.

I mentioned upthread that I was surprised there were no EV coupes. Many are second cars and don’t need the practicality or range of the family barge. And the halo effect of cool EVs should help with image and wider adoption.

Apart from range issue, the other reason I'm not interested in EVs today is that all EVs < £60k do not have a style that appeals to me. Sadly, the ones that do, (e-tron GT, Taycan etc) are simply not in my price bracket. Even the new BMW i4 is ugly AF.

But if that energy is from a sustainable source, it matters far less. And how much energy is consumed from non-sustainable sources just getting petrol and diesel to the pumps? Huge amounts, I’m guessing.

How much energy will be required to dig up all the roads to enable enough electricity to supply all the EV's on charge ?

As most people will wish to charge their EV's at night how much sustainable solar power is generated at that time ???

Much like 3D TV and 5G mobile it all sounds great.......

China has over a thousand coal fired power stations..

I believe Morgan have plans to build an electric model. Once they have learned what electricity is.
They trailed this lovely idea in 2016, had demonstrators running - but it got pulled from production schedule because the deal with Fraser-Nash fell-through.

morgan-ev3-800px.jpg

Damn shame.

advertisement

Back