advertisement

Linn lingo

Absolutely!

If you can find a Lingo 2 for sensible money, I’d grab one, it’s even better than the already excellent Lingo 1.

I have a pre-Cirkus Valhalla deck and a pre-Cirkus Lingo deck, each with an Adikt for a while. Both bearings are late 80s black liner. The Valhalla was serviced by Class A (using Linn-supplied parts) and has Ittok LVIII. The Lingo 1 was also serviced by Class A and has Ekos 2, but I have a late model Lingo 2 as well.

Valhalla/Ittok is more groovy / funky and knits together the musicians so well, but there's quite a bit more dirt and grime along with it. Put another way, Lingo/Ekos cleans up the sound quite a lot, the music is more tuneful and there's a lot more low level musical information that can be rewarding to unlock.

Ultimately, my preference will depend on the music. If just classical then Lingo all the way. If mostly heavy rock then perhaps the Valhalla.

As for the Lingos, I find the L1 more rhythmic and natural. The L2 is more melodic and there's a bit more detail yet somehow it's not as alive and coherent to my mind - on most music, but not all.

People experience music differently so the only was to decide is to try one yourself, although if your Valhalla's not had a service then perhaps sort that out first.

Also, what's the rest of your system? Would it benefit being leaner and cleaner sounding or are you happy as it is?

Last edited:
I replaced a very old but functional Valhalla on my pre-Cirkus Sondek with a s/h Lingo 1. I felt that it was well worthwhile. I also swapped the baseboard for a Trampolinn. Also worthwhile, but not on the scale of the Lingo.

Usual caveats apply, etc.

Well I'm suprised I was expecting everybody to say cirkus big leap .my Valhalla was serviced by darren at class A a few years ago through cymbiosis when peter fettled my deck .I really asked because I'm finding more satisfying using my cdx it's just making me think lp12 is more or less redundant at the moment

I suspect most folks will much prefer a Lingo.

Similarly, for most folks, the Cirkus was a big improvement.

Maybe your system is voiced more for your CD player - I'd much much rather listen to my Valhalla deck than any digital source but I'm using vintage Linn/Naim equipment that was designed around the pre-Cirkus LP12.

Back in the day I upgraded my LP12 Lingo 2 first, Cirkus bearing second.
My dealer suggested that was the better order if you wanted to hear an improvement at each step.

And yes the Lingo 2 gave a very audible improvement over the Valhalla PS even without the Circus bearing.

I'd actually ordered a Lingo 1 but Linn delivered the then just launched 2 for the same price - in those days they took care of the dealer network even if the dealer did not stock the whole range.

I found the bits that came out when the Cirkus went in, in the garage the other day, must take them to the recycle one day :)

Slightly off thread title, but I have been very happy with a Heed Orbit power supply for quite a few years - fitted to my pre Cirkus LP12 in place of the Valhalla.
Similar price for a new Heed compared to a (30 year old?) used Lingo 1.

Mine is pre cirkus and still sports its original PS from 1974. I’ve had a newer LP12 with a Lingo 1 but certainly wouldn’t rush to do anything unless the existing PS gives up.

If 45rpm does not matter to you, I'd also suggest a Naim Armageddon.
Do you think the newer non-H&F Geddon's are as good?

I tried a late black case one (installed by the same Linn/Naim dealer) but was a bit underwhelmed. It was more natural perhaps. Surely an ARO doesn't make or break it since Guy developed the Geddon with an Ittok, albeit a modified one. Maybe just wasn't for me but I like what Guy did with the .5 preamp upgrades. Or perhaps it didn't get on with our mains supply.

Do you think the newer non-H&F Geddon's are as good?
I don't know. Mine's an olive from over 20 years ago. Will it have the H&F tranny?

I also can't imagine a simpler PSU, so would be surprised if Naim changed the fundamental design with the new casing. I got the 'Geddon mainly because it's supposed to be more complementary with the ARO. If I had gone with an Ekos, I might have installed Lingo.

Very few Armageddons have the H&F traffo. Naim were very slow to release it as a commercial thing (1995) by which time H&F were long gone. The only H&F ones you'll ever get were earlier staff builds like this one recently on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/039-Naim...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I personally thought the circus bearing made absolutely no difference whatsoever to My Lp12 compared to the two immediate predecessor bearings (black/white liner and black/black liner). What did make a difference to a lot upgraders was that the original Cirkus kit had the new laminated armboard which does make a big difference and a lot of the people had previously been using the MDF armboard. IMHO it was one of the biggest Kons Linn ever pulled off.

The Lingo II and Armageddon are very different sounding things (I've owned both). The Geddon has more grunt, slam and bounce but ultimately does not reveal as much detail as the lingo.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Back in the day I upgraded my LP12 Lingo 2 first, Cirkus bearing second.
My dealer suggested that was the better order if you wanted to hear an improvement at each step.

And yes the Lingo 2 gave a very audible improvement over the Valhalla PS even without the Circus bearing.

I'd actually ordered a Lingo 1 but Linn delivered the then just launched 2 for the same price - in those days they took care of the dealer network even if the dealer did not stock the whole range.

I found the bits that came out when the Cirkus went in, in the garage the other day, must take them to the recycle one day :)

Actually don't, they're worth money.

Also have a look at the armboard to see if you were one of the "Konned"

I’ve recently upgraded to a lingo4, from a 2, this was through Soundcraft hifi in Ashford Kent, they may still have it on the shelf, maybe worth a punt, there was nothing wrong with it, I just felt it was time to splash out a bit, not worth being the richest man in the graveyard :)

In my opinion.

I would upgrade the sub-chassis before upgrading the PSU. I think both the Norton and Avondale are better than the Lingo but the level of upgrade is not enormous considering what they cost. I've used both and have a Majik PSU just now, with the Stack Audio sub-chassis the deck still sounds better than my other decks with fancier PSUs.

There are so many options and ways to go it's mind boggling and the problem is that they all sound different. Which ones you will like is as much down to taste as anything.

advertisement

Back