advertisement

Advice on power supply upgrade for Turntables

Nope. I don't recognise it as a valid concept. Digital must have the best drive of all time as it has zero wow and flutter and quartz accurate speed etc then!

Oh and I very much "do" subjective! Only where it is possible for a difference though.
I meant 'others' subjective response.

STD is also relevant here, as they did both 16-pole synchronous models (305M, 305S), as well as 9V DC ones (305D). Do you recall the model suffix of yours?
Mine is the 305S with 120V AC motor via a dropper resistor and phasing capacitor.
The original motor failed a few months after purchase and it was changed under warranty to a different brand (40 years ago), I don't think that it was as good as the original.
Understanding a lot more about vibration these days, the plinth is a poor design, acting like a drum

I have a Grand Prix Audio Parabolica. When auditioning it at Definitive Audio, Kevin Scott thought to try replacing the 12v wall wart with a high-quality car battery. He used an Optima Redtop. It made a significant improvement. Never one to accept half measures, he tried different cables from the battery to the turntable. Kondo silver cable was best and improved things further. It’s well worth experimenting with battery power supply.

Got my hands on an MCRU linear power supply and to my ears and that of a number of mates, there was no improvement in the TT performance, when compared with the stock wal wart unit. More snake oil?

They don't, they build dc psu with current/ voltage limit and advise a range of applications they can be used in. It's just for SEO

It's just the same unit, rebadged and highlighted for different applications. Nothing specially clearaudio about it.

Removing the wall wart may do more for the rest of the system by removing some noise than it will for the tt but there are other ways of doing that too.
Based on what I’ve read here I shan’t bother to find out.

advertisement

Back