advertisement

Should we wait for "Spotify Hifi" rollout before planning any upgrades involving streamers?

I'm currently using Volumio, are there any advantages/benefits with Moode or is it just personal preference?
If it's stable for you then I think they're about even. I tried Volumio on several RPis (always 3B+) and always had problems with restarting it. Even with proper shutdowns (e.g. via the Volumio menu) I would often have a problem where it wouldn't boot the next time I powered it on. I'd end up having to re-flash the SD and start from scratch rebuilding the library. moOde has been more rock solid WRT to power cycling, even unexpected shutdowns (the power would go out in my neighborhood in Valencia for a minute or two a few times a year).

The thing I like most about Volumio over moOde is the volume control is visible in most views. On moOde you need to click the speaker icon and then use a pop up setting to control volume.

If it's stable for you then I think they're about even. I tried Volumio on several RPis (always 3B+) and always had problems with restarting it. Even with proper shutdowns (e.g. via the Volumio menu) I would often have a problem where it wouldn't boot the next time I powered it on. I'd end up having to re-flash the SD and start from scratch rebuilding the library. moOde has been more rock solid WRT to power cycling, even unexpected shutdowns (the power would go out in my neighborhood in Valencia for a minute or two a few times a year).

The thing I like most about Volumio over moOde is the volume control is visible in most views. On moOde you need to click the speaker icon and then use a pop up setting to control volume.

Cheers Booja, I seem to get on fine with Volumio using the App, so will stick with it for the time being.

Don’t buy an integrated streamer/amp. Buy a good quality integrated amp that will last a long time. Then buy a tiny streamer to hide behind it or in a cabinet if you want the uncluttered look. Replace it as necessary in the coming years without having to dump the amp.

Agree completely. The only logical approach to such an unstable and ever-changing market has to be proper traditional/classic serviceable hi-fi including a nice DAC, and a Raspberry Pi or equivalent as the streamer. Simple to update, to keep current, and only £40 plus a nice coax hat or whatever. Everything else is open source software that you can control.

Thank you all for your active inputs, it seems I need to do some research in the PiFi streamer realm, all your responses give a good headstart.

Hegel H390 with a cheap streamer PiFi streamer looks like a good option as of now..

Hello Fellow PFMers,
Hope you are doing fine in these delicate times. The announcement of Spotify HiFI made me wonder if the current Spotify Connect will support HiFi? or it needs upgrades ? Anyone here can help ? There are so many streamers which have the current implementation for spotify connect, I dont think all are being updated/maintained by the OEMs.

It is entirely possible that current Spotify Connect implementations already support lossless content and that nothing has to be updated at all.

Buy from a manufacturer with a track record of updating and maintaining their products and you will have little to worry about.

Thank you all for your active inputs, it seems I need to do some research in the PiFi streamer realm, all your responses give a good headstart.

Hegel H390 with a cheap streamer PiFi streamer looks like a good option as of now..

Just a heads up on the H390. I've now heard that in two settings; on each occasion there was a distinct transformer mechanical hum. Apparently this has been quite widely reported. It sounds like there's more to it than DC on mains type issues. Worth checking out though.

On the Spotify front' don't worry about it. Almost everything that offers Spotify Connect also offers Tidal, Qobuz, etc. They are lossless streaming services; why should a Spotify lossless service present any greater difficulties?

Thanks @simon g yes that is indeed one big worrying factor that I am looking into. I am in touch with Anders @ Hegel regarding this. I am not sure if there is a way to check the DC issue before actually buying it. :(

Do you have some recommendations of similar caliber that should be considered ?? I have heard good things about lyngdorf tdai-3400

Just a heads up on the H390. I've now heard that in two settings; on each occasion there was a distinct transformer mechanical hum. Apparently this has been quite widely reported. It sounds like there's more to it than DC on mains type issues. Worth checking out though.

@Strictly Stereo Lee, have you been reported any issue like the above while trading here in the UK ?

Thanks @simon g yes that is indeed one big worrying factor that I am looking into. I am in touch with Anders @ Hegel regarding this. I am not sure if there is a way to check the DC issue before actually buying it. :(

Do you have some recommendations of similar caliber that should be considered ?? I have heard good things about lyngdorf tdai-3400
I went for the 3400 over several other “super integrated” if you can I’d suggest you get a home loan/demo, as an all round package it is excellent. The Room Perfect and Voicings work extremely well, nice remote, control App, decent Web Management interface and one of the nicest volume controls I’ve used.

There has been a firmware update for the Buchardt A500 hub and in the announcement Mads Buchardt said the 'hub is now the first unit in Europe to have the new Spotify Hifi protocol' - definitley suggests it is imminent.

I’m not too concerned with Sonos and their ability to support changes to Spotify. Sonos users likely account for a large percentage of Spotify subscribers.

Yesterday (Friday) I completed a short survey for Spotify. Opinions were sought about four different accounts

Options for a single premium account featured the words, HiFI and £10.99 ;)

ronnie
I thought they may undercut. Think they’ve been biding their time.

There is nothing more to it than DC in the AC supply. I have yet to come across a Hegel amplifier where the transformer hum did not disappear when a DC blocker was introduced or when the amp was transplanted to another location without the DC present.

advertisement

Back