advertisement

Your Cartridge History

These have all been and gone over the years:
Audio Technica AT95e (x2), AT 3600L, AT120E/II, ATVM95ML, ATOC9 MLII (x2), AT150mlx, ATVM760SLC
Benz Glider SL, Ruby 2
Denon DL304, DL103, DL103R, DL103M, DL-S1
Goldring G1042, G800
Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Linn K5
Lyra Lydian (x2), Dorian, Helikon
Nagaoka MP500
Ortofon SPU GM, SPU Spirit, MC25e, 2M Red
Phasetech P3
Pickering XEV3001e, XV15-625e
Roksan Corus Blue
Shelter 501 II

These are all the ones that I still have:
Audio Technica AT95e, ATVM95ML, ATVM95 RigB/Paratrace, AT50ANV, AT33mono
Clearaudio Accurate
Hana SL
Linn K5, K18 (x2), Klyde, Troika
Lyra Titan
Ortofon SPU Royal GM, MC Rohmann
Pickering XEV3001e
Shelter Model 90c
Shure M75 (x2), Me95, V15 III (SAS), V15 IV

Linn K9
Linn K18
Denon DL-304 (4 or 5 of them)
Lyra Lydia Beta
Allaerts MC1B
Benz Micro Ebony LP
Ortofon Kontrpunkt (not memorable enough to remember which version)
AT OC9 ii
Transfiguration Axia
ZYX R-100
Goldring 1042
Nagoaka MP-150
Nagoaka MP-200

AT oc7 1986
AT oc9 1989
Grace F9 Ruby 1990
Koetsu Black 1992
Koetsu Red K 1996
Linn Troika 1996
Kiseki Purpleheart 2000
Lyra Clavis DC 2001
Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum 2005
Dynavector xv1s 2007
Transfiguration Proteus 2007
Reson Etile 2008
Koetsu Onyx Signature Platinum 2010
SPU Royal GM 2015
Benz Ebony TR 2015
AN io11 2015
Miyajima Shilabe 2018
Koetsu Urushi Vermillion 2020
Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony 2020

Still have SPU, the Shilabe two Koetsu's and an AN cartridge for serious listening ... few MM's for easy listening.

Mostly all used with AN S6c and AN Japan vintage S9 SUT's but now Allnic.

I think adding a second wand to my player with a switch to swap output will keep me interested for a while.

ShureV-15-II
Shure V-15-III
Shure V-15-IV (the OEM G styli are special) and SAS boron
Shure V-15 -V with JICO SAS (both boron and sapphire cantilevers) -(have never heard a OEM stylus for this cart that wasn't probably completely worn out)
Shure M-110 with JICO SAS stylus
Shure M35 with JICO SAS stylus
Shure Ultra 500 with JICO SAS (both boron and sapphire cantilevers)=have never heard a good OEM stylus in this body
Shure M97xE
Pickering XSV-3000
Stanton 881
Stanton 681
Grado MF3e
Grado F-1
Grado F3E
F3e+
Grado G-1
Grado G2
Grado MCX
8MZ stylus in Prestige body
Pmount Grado's (a couple)
(probably another dozen models of Grado's i just don't remember)
Ortofon MC-10
Ortofon MC-20
Ortofon MC-100
Ortofon MC-200
Ortofon M20FL
Ortofon OM 10
Ortofon OM30
Ortofon Quintet Black S
Ortofon 2M Red
Ortofon 2M Blue
B&O MMC-5 rebuilt with 3 stylus tip
Soundsmith MMC-4
Soundsmith SMMC-2
Soundsmith Otello (old style)
Soundsmith Otello SE (new style body)
Grace f-9
Grace F-9 with Soundsmith CL (red) stylus
Grace F-8
Audio technica AT-15xE
AT-540ML
AT-740 S
(bunch of AT Pmounts) and some other AT carts I have yet to figure out what model no they are (even with Manfred's incredibly competent help :)
AT-95e
AT-VM95e
Linn Asaka
Denon DL-110
DL-103 S
DL-103M
DL-103 D
DL-103
Dl-103R
DL-300
DL-301
DL-301-II
Goldring 1042
Roksan Corus with Goldring 1042 stylus (have never heard one with a OEM Roksan stylus)
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.
Cut to the chase -best of the pile ?
Decca London's in a Denon or Sony BioTracer arm -freaky just plain right.Makes every other cart sound like it suffers from dynamic constipation.
Panasonic EPC-451 strain gauge -there is something just plain right about these -run in a SME IV arm - there is something NOT there with these carts that is part of all other carts I've heard ? Phase errors that the SG don't have ?? Have heard The Soundsmith SG briefly on two occasionas at shows -If I hadn't blown so much money on wine ,women and LP's - I'd buy one.

ShureV-15-II
Shure V-15-III
Shure V-15-IV (the OEM G styli are special) and SAS boron
Shure V-15 -V with JICO SAS (both boron and sapphire cantilevers) -(have never heard a OEM stylus for this cart that wasn't probably completely worn out)
Shure M-110 with JICO SAS stylus
Shure M35 with JICO SAS stylus
Shure Ultra 500 with JICO SAS (both boron and sapphire cantilevers)=have never heard a good OEM stylus in this body
Shure M97xE
Pickering XSV-3000
Stanton 881
Stanton 681
Grado MF3e
Grado F-1
Grado F3E
F3e+
Grado G-1
Grado G2
Grado MCX
8MZ stylus in Prestige body
Pmount Grado's (a couple)
(probably another dozen models of Grado's i just don't remember)
Ortofon MC-10
Ortofon MC-20
Ortofon MC-100
Ortofon MC-200
Ortofon M20FL
Ortofon OM 10
Ortofon OM30
Ortofon Quintet Black S
Ortofon 2M Red
Ortofon 2M Blue
B&O MMC-5 rebuilt with 3 stylus tip
Soundsmith MMC-4
Soundsmith SMMC-2
Soundsmith Otello (old style)
Soundsmith Otello SE (new style body)
Grace f-9
Grace F-9 with Soundsmith CL (red) stylus
Grace F-8
Audio technica AT-15xE
AT-540ML
AT-740 S
(bunch of AT Pmounts) and some other AT carts I have yet to figure out what model no they are (even with Manfred's incredibly competent help :)
AT-95e
AT-VM95e
Linn Asaka
Denon DL-110
DL-103 S
DL-103M
DL-103 D
DL-103
Dl-103R
DL-300
DL-301
DL-301-II
Goldring 1042
Roksan Corus with Goldring 1042 stylus (have never heard one with a OEM Roksan stylus)
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.
Cut to the chase -best of the pile ?
Decca London's in a Denon or Sony BioTracer arm -freaky just plain right.Makes every other cart sound like it suffers from dynamic constipation.
Panasonic EPC-451 strain gauge -there is something just plain right about these -run in a SME IV arm - there is something NOT there with these carts that is part of all other carts I've heard ? Phase errors that the SG don't have ?? Have heard The Soundsmith SG briefly on two occasionas at shows -If I hadn't blown so much money on wine ,women and LP's - I'd buy one.
Fabulous history.

I was going to list mine, but it's mostly a subset of above.

Since I own Sony PS-B80, I guess I should investigate the Decca...

Ortofon FF15E mkII - first cartridge I noticed on my first ‘proper’ TT 1970s
Fast forward to late 90s
Goldring 1042
AT F7
AT 33EV
AT 33PTG II
Musicmaker III
Ortofon Cadenza Black
Transfiguration Spirit III
Transfiguration Phoenix S
Ortofon MC Anna

Excellent thread. Let's keep it going. I wish the OP had included this request in his original post - which cartridge(s) would you buy now if you needed one? And include some way of stratifying recommendations by price.

Here's some of my history (IIRC):
Coral (never knew any details. Undistinguished.)
Blue point special - never really warmed to this cartridge due to it's steely, annoying top end. I wonder if that could have been addressed via more convenient arm-pillar adjustment. I find it a PITA to adjust the Ittok.
Dynavector 10X4 Mk II - great all-rounder. Owned a couple of these in a row.
Dynavector Karat 19a - OMG. First taste of the better things in life. Wore it out.
Dyna 17D2 - great
Dyna 17D3 - V. good. Can't afford it's replacement in the Dynavector line.
Signet 3Ea - Wait. What? How can this thing sound so good? Has gotten me thinking about budget cartridges.
Stanton 681EEE - Huh? Who knew. Great all-rounder. Probably will keep this one going for a while. Maybe pick up a JICO stylus for it. Already picked up one of the Pfanstiels. works good.

I'm very curious about the Ortofon SPUs, the Denon DL103/103r varieties and would love to hear what experienced users have to say about them.

Excellent thread. Let's keep it going. I wish the OP had included this request in his original post - which cartridge(s) would you buy now if you needed one? And include some way of stratifying recommendations by price.

Here's some of my history (IIRC):
Coral (never knew any details. Undistinguished.)
Blue point special - never really warmed to this cartridge due to it's steely, annoying top end. I wonder if that could have been addressed via more convenient arm-pillar adjustment. I find it a PITA to adjust the Ittok.
Dynavector 10X4 Mk II - great all-rounder. Owned a couple of these in a row.
Dynavector Karat 19a - OMG. First taste of the better things in life. Wore it out.
Dyna 17D2 - great
Dyna 17D3 - V. good. Can't afford it's replacement in the Dynavector line.
Signet 3Ea - Wait. What? How can this thing sound so good? Has gotten me thinking about budget cartridges.
Stanton 681EEE - Huh? Who knew. Great all-rounder. Probably will keep this one going for a while. Maybe pick up a JICO stylus for it. Already picked up one of the Pfanstiels. works good.

I'm very curious about the Ortofon SPUs, the Denon DL103/103r varieties and would love to hear what experienced users have to say about them.
If you like the Stanton, there are several cartridges in their lineup above the 681.

They don't go bad...

Here is their catalog from the golden age.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MWzKyBigHWn8oBJSQV4b1mUu-aA10XJW/view?usp=drivesdk

I have the 981LZ and the 881.

Shure m95 ed
Ortofon VMS 20e with cap 210
Linn k5
Linn k9
Grado gold
Nagoaka mp11
Hana SL

edit. I missed off the dl 110 (Denon)

Last edited:
I can't remember some of the first cartridges I had unfortunately but as I remember & roughly in order I have had the following...
Ortofon Rohmann
Goldring 1042
Ortofon 2M Blue
Dynavector 10x5
Supex 900
AT33PTG
Benz Wood SL
Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo
Decca Gold
Ortofon Rondo Bronze
Zyx R50 Bloom
Coral MC81 (still got)
Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II
A&R P77 (still got)
Transfiguration Axia
Koetsu Black Goldline (still got)
Koetsu Urushi Vermillion (just bought)

I have probably forgotten a few along the way but these are the main ones.

What do you think of the Decca Gold? What Tonearm have you paired it with?
This was right at the very beginning of the Decca revival in the very early 80s - I had to source my Gold from Valois Distribution in France as it was an Export only item and not sold in the UK at the time. I initially used it in a damped SME III and then in a Syrinx PU2 all in an effort to avoid the unipivot designs it was regularly used with (commonly the Haddock). I got a replacement LP12 with Ittok after my own t/t was stolen and used an Asak never going back to the Decca which was both the best and worst cartridge I'd ever used. DGP

David,
Why did you avoid using unipivots in the early 1980s? Admittedly the unipivot choice was relatively slim at that time - Hadcock, Mayware, Audiocraft or Grace if my memory serves me correctly. I got hooked on Deccas in late 70s when I was KK's saturday boy at Canterbury Hi-Fi before he went into full time journalism. A trip for your Gold to the Garrott Brothers in Queensland would have changed your mind perhaps.
Charlie

David,
Why did you avoid using unipivots in the early 1980s? Admittedly the unipivot choice was relatively slim at that time - Hadcock, Mayware, Audiocraft or Grace if my memory serves me correctly. I got hooked on Deccas in late 70s when I was KK's saturday boy at Canterbury Hi-Fi before he went into full time journalism. A trip for your Gold to the Garrott Brothers in Queensland would have changed your mind perhaps.
Charlie
The whole Decca thing at that time (1979/80) was compromise - such and energetic cartridge with such a poor mounting system and arms that were either spoiled by damped or 'roughed-up' by the cartridge. I didn't think the Hadcock or Mayware up to the job (much like the SME III but for different reasons). The Garrotts Bros had only just come on the scene when I'd already sent the Decca to its new owners - I personally couldn't find an arm and turntable combination at the time to suit the Decca. I even bought a TD124 at the time with the thought of finding a suitable 60s arm. But the TD124 went to a bunch of visiting Japanese audiophiles shortly after I'd sold the Decca.

Wow!!! I'm going to show my wife some of these lists! Amazing and I feel so much better -
P77
Asaka
Klyde
AT Art-9 (the best by a country mile)
NP

Whatever came with parents’ radiogram
Shure M75ED2
Ortofon VMS20
A & R P77
Linn K15 (or was it 5?)
Dynavector 10x5
Linn Krystal

Not a long list, cos I got my money’s worth/wore them out. I assume some cartridges in the long lists above were changed weekly!!

I can't remember all of the older ones! There last four I've had are:

Ortofon 2M Blue
Denon DL110
Denon DL103R
Nagaoka MP500

I can't see I'll move from the MP500 for a long time, at least whilst I can get replacement stylii from Japan for a relatively reasonable price!

If I can remember:

A&R P77
Supex SM 100 /E. Loved it.
Linn K9. Multiple stylus change.
Orto MC 25FL. Lacked colour imo.
Orto MC 30 Supreme. Loved it.
Orto Rhomann. A bit analytical and cold in my system.
Orto MC 30 Supreme. Bought another.
Orto Rondo Blue. Good balance, plenty of Bass.
Hana SL. Getting near the end, probably get another.

Covers about 40 years.

advertisement

Back