advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M thoughts ; amazing they say but urban myth or reality

Fabulous things but with the potential to sound awful with the wrong partnering equipment.

For what it’s worth, I think they sound best on the end of Yamaha amplifiers. It’s almost like Yamaha’s engineers know what they’re doing…

For what it’s worth, I think they sound best on the end of Yamaha amplifiers. It’s almost like Yamaha’s engineers know what they’re doing…

The CA1000 would be period correct I guess, and it had a class A option which would likely have sounded great with them.

They are one of those affordable speakers that deserve to be used with high end electronics but usually aren't [because they are affordable].Gale 401s are the same.You will just never get the best out of them with middling sort of sources/preamps/power amps.Indeed because they are high resolution they will just show up the deficiencies in that equipment.I much prefer the Gale 401s though.They are just much more musically engaging and have much better imaging and bass .
I also own Yamaha NS75Ts which which are quite similar to the NS1000s but use titanium mids and tweeters.I have had them and the NS1000s side by side and they sound much better.Bass and imaging is very good on them.

The NS1000s are very good tools for dividing people who hear or listen for centre fill/image depth/phantom centre imaging from those that don't.I have a friend who hears image depth/centre fill and has owned three pairs of them only to sell them out of frustration.He even tried building small bucket like wave guides to go around the miidrange to try to improve that imaging.
I describe them as having a soundstage shape like a peanut on its side.A bit going on between the speakers but very little depth or centre projection.

advertisement

Back