advertisement

Walking Boots

Woodface

pfm Member
My old boots of choice are no longer an option, I don’t do massive miles but looking at doing more over the winter. Pretty clueless when it comes to walking boots so advice is welcome. My wife bought some Solomon ones which she really rates so tempted to go in that direction.

Anything else to consider? Budget, probably up to about £120.

I've gone though a couple of pairs of Salomons, and will probably get a pair again next time. Their GTX boots are very good, but they do tend to suit a narrower foot IMHO.

20+ years will be the original Brashers - great boots (I have a pair too!). They went downhill rapidly in many peoples' opinion after being bought by Pentland, now just another brandname and made in China. Haven't tried a new pair mind, so may well be OK.

Thanks all, did look at the Brasher ones & was put off by some of the negative comments. It also looks like they would take some breaking in. Solomon looks like the way to go then.

Meindl Borneo here. First bought pair is over 20 years old and still going strong in the garden. Second pair with the MFS are just about broken in. They will see me out no doubt.

I had some Berghaus ones, where the sole fell off, so would not recommend them. Got some Scarpa ones now, much better and longer lasting, but you will likely not find them in budget unless there are some bargains around. They come a bit small, so I went up a size from my usual.

Buy a good pair of Yorkshire made walking boots. Get yourself up the A1 to Richmond and buy a pair of Altberg boots.

Buy a good pair of Yorkshire made walking boots. Get yourself up the A1 to Richmond and buy a pair of Altberg boots.

This I've had my Altbergs re soled twice now and the uppers still look like new. They are the best boots I've ever had.

Buy ones that fit your feet and are comfortable. Spend a couple of hours in the shop in them.

Orthotics can be helpful in some cases, but I have only ever used them in my ski boots.

Just buy anything that fits from Scarpa, Brasher, Berghaus or Mammut. You will be dead before you need anything else. Do not buy anything branded Karrimor it was a great outdoor brand but was bought a while ago and sell very poor cheap crap now.

20+ years will be the original Brashers - great boots (I have a pair too!). They went downhill rapidly in many peoples' opinion after being bought by Pentland, now just another brandname and made in China. Haven't tried a new pair mind, so may well be OK.

The ones I've got are the green and black GTX ones, feel like slippers!

advertisement

Back