advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday (not today) I drove from North Wales to Carlisle and back to return a Marantz SACD 30n that I'd purchased on-line from Peter Tyson.

I could have couriered it but with insurance that came to almost £200. It was very unclear what the insurance covered so I thought might as well drive up there. Also had never been to Carlisle before.

Peter Tyson accepted the return and I got a Cyrus cdi-xr instead. I had intended to just get my money back but on the drive there thought that I might be persuaded to go for the Cyrus. Probably the worst demo ever in that it was played in the centre of the shop and the model demonstrated was the CD transport linked to the DAC in the matching amp. But was provided with a nice cup of tea, got some money knocked off it so went ahead. Friendly service throughout.

Also had a look around Carlisle. Cathedral was really nice, also visited a good record shop, Vinyl Cafe (not a cafe by the way) and bought a copy of Neil Young After the Gold Rush as mine is very old and very scratched. Did go to a cafe a few doors up called Foxes Cafe Lounge where I had a full English breakfast and a lovely cup of coffee. Both these places are on Abbey St, neat the cathedral.

Annual hearing check up at hospital - no further degeneration of hearing - a good thing. Refitted an internal door with nice polished hinges. Mrs C will be happy with that. Piano practice next, after feeding the cats and pegging the washing out.

Yesterday (not today) I drove from North Wales to Carlisle and back to return a Marantz SACD 30n that I'd purchased on-line from Peter Tyson.

I could have couriered it but with insurance that came to almost £200. It was very unclear what the insurance covered so I thought might as well drive up there. Also had never been to Carlisle before.

Peter Tyson accepted the return and I got a Cyrus cdi-xr instead. I had intended to just get my money back but on the drive there thought that I might be persuaded to go for the Cyrus. Probably the worst demo ever in that it was played in the centre of the shop and the model demonstrated was the CD transport linked to the DAC in the matching amp. But was provided with a nice cup of tea, got some money knocked off it so went ahead. Friendly service throughout.

Also had a look around Carlisle. Cathedral was really nice, also visited a good record shop, Vinyl Cafe (not a cafe by the way) and bought a copy of Neil Young After the Gold Rush as mine is very old and very scratched. Did go to a cafe a few doors up called Foxes Cafe Lounge where I had a full English breakfast and a lovely cup of coffee. Both these places are on Abbey St, neat the cathedral.

sorry to hear you had to return it , was it not to your liking ?

spent most of day trying to sort out roll top radiators for my house , sorry to say i am not a fan of those metal grill type . amazingly the imperial size can cost 700 each and the same in metric [ 40mm more ] can cost 300 quid !! anyway ordered now my lovely gas engineer has been driving suppliers to sort me out . he is an absolute gem

ah thanks peter . i adore marantz cd players but not keen on the looks of the 30n

at 3k it should have been unbelievably good !!

Today’s stroll along the Macclesfield canal with the sun out and the waterway was like the M6. It was rammed with narrow boats going either way. Mr. Heron was in his usual place, standing rigid in the field like a statue. Managed to stroll for an hour before my hips told me it was time to return. A herd of young calves were at the waters edge curious at what was going on. A mallard mum swam past with a couple of “teenage” off spring keeping up with her.
Saw one narrow boat get stuck passing one going the other way and discovered some narrow boats have bow thrusters as he got out of trouble.

and pegging the washing out.

great drying day. I like seeing a line full of washing blowing in the wind. Hope you use a ‘prop.’

Had a small walk with The Wife and eldest Granddaughter along the banks of a nearby reservoir.
Sang ‘The Ugly Duckling’ to the G-Kid as she didn’t know it (!)

Got her new shoes for school and one of those fabulous 4-colour pens.

Also presented her with a 3.5mm jack to jack, and an HDMI cable. She was very pleased.

We then had a play with my air rifle and pistol, then played darts in the garden for a while. I need some proper darts as the tiny things we were using were rubbish. Also need a proper dartboard. G-Kid was hooked by the darts straight away. Great stuff.
Considered teaching her how to play ‘Stretch’ with a throwing knife, but thought better of it o_O
that can wait. I will buy her a decent Swiss Army knife maybe next year. (none locking)

The Wife has roasted a leg of lamb for the main meal this evening. The delicious smell is making my stomach groan in anticipation. Mash and broccoli, crikey I am starving now.

After several weeks of living out of suitcases and boxes we finally got some bedroom furniture! Spent today unwrapping wardrobe, drawers etc. then sorting clothes.

So much packaging I had to do 2 runs to the re-cycling centre!

Tomorrow is Vinyl Saturday! There is a record fair in town, I may just have to visit the local record shop(s) too.

Before we moved here, our day would have been...
  • Early start followed by a 2 hour drive
  • Cooked breakfast in our favourite cafe
  • A couple of hours mooching in the record fair then a pint or two in the Tiger.
  • Then on to my favourite record shop for more browsing
  • More beer then dinner at one of several excellent restaurants in town.
So I could stick with this (apart from the 2 hour drive!) I may walk into town tomorrow.

There is a folk festival in town this week-end (not really my cup of tea but I will probably take in the music in the town square. My new next door is heavily involved in this and encouraged us to participate, so we had better show our faces).

Happy daze. This is why we moved here.

Ordering a new washing machine, current one now has very rattly bearings (not repairable - see my washing machine post).
Putting the boys old school trousers and shoes on Freecycle.
Now have to clean the car so it is presentable when I take it in on Tuesday (more bearings! - Focus, front wheel). These ARE repairable, and 174000 miles is not bad (164000 of those are mine over the last 12.5 years). If I did not need a 10 or 20 ton press for the job, I might have had a go myself.

lounging around, Mrs has a hangover - I told her 8 pints wasn't a good idea - especially as one of them was 10%

Cooking a pork and bean stew - left over pork cuts (from the freezer), some chorizo and some lovely smoked paprika. Will be served with a boiled veg salad (Hervido)

Might make a jug of bloody

Pouring down again and not been able to get out for a stroll so gone round the house with windowlene cleaning all the windows and picture frame glass.
Quite a work out!
Having a coffee now.

Making a sort of one-legged table to mount my incoming Hadcock 228. The hardwood dowel is, at 31mm, 0.75 too slim for a snug fit in the Spacedeck. Building it up with a bit of thickened epoxy handily left over from my Kayak build. Thick fog and drizzle here in sunny Cornwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back