advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Just purchased 'a double whammy', lovely looking and sounding phono stage by Ryan Soundlab, transimpedance unit with amazing flexibility around the gain options, still working out the optimal. A a nearly new Ortofon Quintet Black S, my first MC cartridge, got it set up and aligned, so looking forward to some serious listening. Both bought from other pfm'er, thank you both (foxwelljsly and matt j) for quick and excellent transactions

Much the same time then. He had this den of a house that is nothing like the Croydon I imagined. Overexcited dogs everywhere. I was blown away by his system and bought the complete front end. Still have it, still love it.
I bought a Hadcock from Len about 20 years ago. Had it on a Michell for a couple of years, it was the first unipivot I ever tried. Great arm.

Just purchased 'a double whammy', lovely looking and sounding phono stage by Ryan Soundlab, transimpedance unit with amazing flexibility around the gain options, still working out the optimal. A a nearly new Ortofon Quintet Black S, my first MC cartridge, got it set up and aligned, so looking forward to some serious listening. Both bought from other pfm'er, thank you both (foxwelljsly and matt j) for quick and excellent transactions
I’ve decided to stick to MM especially now they are getting more serious attention from providers. But I so understand that itch!

that may be interesting, not sure it will match or not though

Both Hattor Audio and NORD sell passive preamps to go with their Class D amps. Would like an NC1200 or Purifi based amp as I need to control the Maggies. Class A/B of that power and quality too pricey and less WAF. Hope it works..

From Townshend website:

The nature of the transformer design eliminates the problems usually associated with resistive passive controls. At the zero dB setting the input signal is directly connected to the output. This means that the output impedance of The Allegri+ is the same as the output impedance of the source component. Further, the input impedance of The Allegri+ is equal to the input impedance of the power amplifier at this setting.

At -6dB (output voltage half the input voltage), the input impedance of The Allegri+ is four times the input impedance of the power amplifier and the output impedance of the Allegri+ is one quarter of the source impedance.

At -20dB (10 to 1), the input impedance of the Allegri+ is one hundred times the power amplifier impedance and the output impedance of the Allegri+ is one hundredth of the impedance of the source component. It is thus clear that the interconnect cable capacitance will have no effect on the performance of the Allegri+.

yes i guess they do sell passives to go with their class d but whether it sounds good with the maggies we shall see .

ATL DC Blocker is my most recent purchase. While it hasn't done much for the low level hum from my 3 NAP 250s it has cured the intermittent more obtrusive hum which could clearly be heard across the room.

Just purchased a Squeezebox Radio on EBay. Mint. No sticky knobs(ooh Mrs.). Why didn’t I get one of these years ago. A pleasure to use with the new Community Firmware and great sound from its mono speaker.Got it for a song too. Lovely to turn on in the kitchen and has supplanted my Echo Show which will go into my bedroom.

Just upgraded to an Aqua La Scala DAC from the La Voce. It’s incredibly good with the Aurelic G1 streaming Qobuz and I hate to say it, but gives my TT a run for its money

A Luxman 505ux MkII…very nice it is indeed with my Tannoy Eatons…still getting used to it but loving it so far
I bought one of these a few months ago. My goodness I love this thing. Couldn’t believe the difference from my SuperUniti. I know it should be but even so it regularly blows me away!

I bought one of these a few months ago. My goodness I love this thing. Couldn’t believe the difference from my SuperUniti. I know it should be but even so it regularly blows me away!

Still getting used to mine but it is one lovely beast! So clear and unflustered, as much unflappable oomph as you could wish for. I know it’s a bit Old Skool but really appreciate the loudness button for lower level listening.

Been using with my CD5i for a few weeks and it’s just great…added to that theres the meters which tell you how much Velvet Underground you are playing

I bought a pair of Lyngforf "boundary woofers" to assist my diminutive Lyngforf amp. I've stuffed them away in the front corners as recommended by the manufacturer.

Tellurium Q Ultra Blue.

Bought a couple of terminated 6m lengths cheap as end of line close-out as a treat for the Maggies.

Well, wanted to see what all the fuss is about, and I love the colour.
Everybody knows that pretty blue and green cables sound better ;)

I have misgivings.....

Tellurium Q Ultra Blue.

Bought a couple of terminated 6m lengths cheap as end of line close-out as a treat for the Maggies.

Well, wanted to see what all the fuss is about, and I love the colour.
Everybody knows that pretty blue and green cables sound better ;)

I have misgivings.....

I was tempted myself - some of the discounts on this stuff online are stellar - but sticking with the Q blue for now. I'd be interested in your opinions of the Ultra Blue when it has bedded in.

advertisement

Back