advertisement

Hawkwind solo projects

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I'm sure there's more of them, but apart from the obvious - Motorhead and the two classic Robert Calvert Albums - are any others worth listening to?

Nik Turner did a few bits n bobs e.g. Sphinx, Inner City Unit, plus loads of other people have passed through Hawkwind, e.g. they shared a bassist, Dave Anderson, with Amon Düül II prior to Lemmy, then folk like Tim Blake who’s first Crystal Machine album is worth a listen.

Sphinx's Xitintoday was a bit of a letdown for someone who is a Hawks / Hillage fan.

Inner City Unit is Niks punky phase.

+1 for Tim Blake - first two albums really. The rest are a bit poo.

Dave Brock's Earthed to the Ground and Agents of Chaos are OK - some

The Lloyd-Langton Group releases are a bit meh, ditto Widowmaker.

Big fan of Alan Davey's stuff - Final Call is like the electronicy stuff from "Electric Teepee".

Steve Swindell's "Fresh Blood" worth checking out for the original version of "Shot Down in the Night"

Harvey Bainbridge does some interesting electronica too. I was a support act for him once, and f**k me, he was loud.

I bought xitintoday when I was 16 and very into Egyptology, and thought it was the best thing ever. Sold it soon afterwards when it all seemed a bit uncool. I sometimes think about getting it again, but I think it would annoy me.

I saw Inner City Unit support Hawkwind around 1980, and wasn't impressed. Punk by numbers.

Not strictly speaking a Hawkwind solo album, but the album by Michael Moorcock's Deep Fix is well worth avoiding.

Not strictly speaking a Hawkwind solo album, but the album by Michael Moorcock's Deep Fix is well worth avoiding.

That was a remarkably odd thing. It was worth a fortune at one point, I think I got £50 for mine back in the mid-80s when that was a lot of cash.

I used to know the drummer of ICU in mid 80s -Mick Stupp (never sure if that was his real surname) Never actually went to any of the gigs though. My abiding memory is he was a huge fan of Keith Moon

I had Inner City Unit’s Maximum Effect- kinda punky ska and a lot of fun. I enjoyed it and would buy again if I came across it. I also have Nik Turner’s more recent Space Fusion Odyssey, much more like the classic Hawkwind era but more jazzy. To be honest, any other solo stuff from ex Hawks, Motörhead excepted, I’ve always found pretty lame. I’d be interested to hear the stuff Nik Turner did with Youth from Killing Joke.

advertisement

Back