advertisement

The records shops that shaped our lives

When I was a kid I had a Saturday job for a while in White Rabbit Records in Barnet c. late 1974-5. My first boss was convinced the Byrds were the greatest band ever and his replacement thought that Neil Young was the greatest singer. Looking both both wished they were in San Francisco in 1967 and were, of course, complete heroes to me. I loved working there, finding out about cult American bands and generally, much to the amusement of the managers, spend nearly everything I earn on yet another cult record at the end of every shift - I was playing First Pull Up Them Pull Down by Hot Tuna just the other day.

Sadly I got sacked on the weekend following 24th February. The owner had ordered in a pile of boxes of Physical Graffiti which had been released that weekend and told us he wanted us to play the record non stop and sell every copy he'd bought in. At the end of the day, once business was slowing, I put on a Little Feat LP - we'd been promoting The Warner Brothers Music Show sampler and associated records in the few weeks before. The Owner returned unexpectedly and I had a rather sad "we don't need a Saturday boy" conversation afterwards. As a 14 year old I thought I was cool as you like - my next Saturday job was in a petrol station.... I've never really forgiven Zeppelin tbh.

Its briefly but fondly remembered here by Jon Wozencroft from Touch Music.

White Rabbit - British Record Shop Archive

I did get another record store job a few years later in the Record department of Welwyn Department Store but that was no where near as a cool although, one day, another one of the people who ran the store got nicked while we were working. She and her husband, who worked in another part of the store, had apparently faked identities and were on the run from somewhere in Scotland. I'm not sure anyone has fond memories of the record department in Welwyn Department Store.

Otherwise my early buying was split between two branches of Alex Strickland records - one in Southgate and another in Barnet with increasingly regular trips up to London and the first Virgin Megastores which had loads of cheap American deletions by all the cult artists I'd listen to in While Rabbit - which explains why I have 5 Mike Nesmith records in the "rarely played" box upstairs.

Ianr - It was next door to Marks & Spencer and was there from about 1977 to 1982. I've still have a red 'I got it at Bruces' bag that I keep cuttings from Sounds and NME in!
I must have stopped working for them by the time that branch opened, i never even sent them records from our stocks.
I worked in Falkirk and Glasgow Bruces when it opened. He went onto manage various groups including Simple Minds

Replays in Southampton for me. Spent all of my spare cash in there.

This site is interesting although the navigation is a bit quirky (you have to go through South East and London - Berkshire - Bucks to get to Hampshire)

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/

Kevin

Also spent too much of my student grant (remember those) at Cobb Records in Bangor. Rum, Sodomy and the Lash came out around then, combining my interests in punkish music and Irish folk.

Kevin

Good Vibrations in Belfast for me - I used to go in on Saturday morning a couple of times a month on the train, buy a couple of LPs that had been on John Peel, and then head up to the university bookshop. At one time I had all of the Undertones, Rudi and Stiff Little Fingers releases.

There were a few good record shops in Bury, sadly no longer exist.
Vibes records, Muze records and Save records.
We do now have a HMV and an independent called Wax and Beans which is also a coffee shop.

There were a few record stores that really made a difference to my musical education/evolution.

One was right around the corner from my dorm, Spin-it Records. They sold mostly cut-outs and newly discontinued pressings, all new. Tons of OJCs, Japanese Verves, CBS, Affinity etc. A lot were priced at $3.99 each, with 3 records for $10. I learned a lot about jazz from buying records from this store.

Then there was the Jazz Record Mart run by Bob Koester of Delmark fame. He had an incredible stock of in-print jazz and blues records and a lot of used stuff. I bought a lot from his store over the years when I visited Chicago. As a indication of how much I bought, the counter clerk asked me whether I wanted a box for carrying my purchases :D. Bob (who's now very old), as I understand, is still around and has a new store after selling off the original business a few years ago.

Finally there's the big Tower Records main store on Broadway near Washington Sq Park in NYC. I spent many hours in this flagship store and also in J&R Records near the Brooklyn Bridge in lower Manhattan. These were big impersonal stores, sometimes with rude staff, but both were incredible institutions with huge and diverse stock. Now sadly gone and greatly missed.

Music-wise, I wouldn't be the same person have I not had easy access to all the incredible music available from these old stores.

It was near the bus station then moved to where it is now.
Used to get all my gig tickets from the booking office downstairs.

Yes I remembered the move the wrong way round I think, I'd forgotten about the gig tickets downstairs. Got my ticket to see The Smiths at the Free Trade Hall in 1984 from there.

Thinking about this the shops I probably spent the most time in as a skint student, and then a skint wage slave, were the Music and Video Exchanges (aka Record and Tape Exchange).

I used to pop into the Camden branch almost every day after work. You would frequently see DJs offloading bags of white labels and promos so it was always worth a quick look to see if anything interesting had come in that day.

The MVE empire isn't what it once was but I still can't resist looking in the local Greenwich branch if I'm passing...

Just read the sad news that Gareth/Gaz Owen of Swordfish Records in Birmingham died last week.

https://twitter.com/petepaphides/status/1422489887316529155/photo/1

Like many others I spent a large chunk of my life and income in Swordfish and whilst I found Mike the more chatty of the two had some good conversations with him. He didn't seem too keen when I gave him a bottle of my home-made record cleaning fluid as a sample and offered to supply him with more, but hey ho, he probably thought it was like Peckham Spring water.

Very spooky also for me as just this morning I was wondering how Mike is, since his arthritis had all but crippled him last time I saw him, making visits to the shop infrequent. Gaz on the other hand looked as fit as a butcher's dog and would park his bike in there.

RIP Gaz. Thanks for the music.

It was near the bus station then moved to where it is now.
Used to get all my gig tickets from the booking office downstairs.

Almost right - it was in the row of shops by the bus station, then moved to Brown St (that site now Fopp, I think), then to its current home on Oldham St. Huge chunks of my student grant/salary have been deposited behind the counter at all three sites!!

advertisement

Back