advertisement

Clark - Playground in a lake

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I bought the 2 x12"45 and I have to say I'm disappointed. The first copy was quite noisy, though Juno made no fuss about sending a new copy. Musically though, I don't know what to make of it tbh. On a first listen, I have to say that it's bordering on pretentious nonsense! I try not to make too many mistakes when I buy records, particularly as I am running out of room to store them!

I'll give it another spin, but I wonder if anybody else has bought it and what they thought of it?

I haven't really kept up after the first couple of records on Warp - looks like he's been busy in the 18 years since... I should probably have a bit of a listen!

I had never heard of Clark, but curiosity got the better of me and I had a listen. I really liked it, a nice mix of music and indulgent soundscape. I don't think I hear enough of this sort of thing anymore, and I don't know if it's because it's not out there or I just don't find it.

I had never heard of Clark, but curiosity got the better of me and I had a listen. I really liked it, a nice mix of music and indulgent soundscape. I don't think I hear enough of this sort of thing anymore, and I don't know if it's because it's not out there or I just don't find it.

Cool, glad you liked it. I'll have another listen, but at the moment, it's not lighting my candle.

It's curious that he's gone the opposite way to Brian Eno. He went from Eno to Brian Eno, whereas Clark started out as Chris Clark. So now he sounds like a mumsy brand of footwear.

It's curious that he's gone the opposite way to Brian Eno. He went from Eno to Brian Eno, whereas Clark started out as Chris Clark. So now he sounds like a mumsy brand of footwear.

Yes, and tbh, I find most of Eno's work a bit pretentious too, apart from Another day on Earth, which is one of my favourite albums.

Ah, ok. I have an Auralic Aries mini + linear psu & it's great little thing. I really ought to give it a serious listen, because it would make my life a little easier in some ways, but I'm a dyed in the wool vinyl man. A debate elsewhere obviously, but I wonder what I would need to do to get streaming to sound like my records; depends to a large extent on the mastering I guess.

The other thing is, that Playground in a lake is one of those rare records that doesn't come with a download code; it would be interesting to download a wav or flac to see how it compares.

Edit: it doesn't seem to be available as a download.

Bleep.com / 7 digital / Qobuz, all have it for sale @ 24/44/1

IMHO most electronica sounds much better when streamed.

I use roon (ROCK) on an NUC, the music sits on 4TB SSD NAS.

The other thing is, that Playground in a lake is one of those rare records that doesn't come with a download code; it would be interesting to download a wav or flac to see how it compares.

Edit: it doesn't seem to be available as a download.

It's available as a download but I'm not sure I'd want to spend another £12+ if I'd already bought the vinyl!

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8891914--clark-playground in a lake
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/playground-in-a-lake-clark/ag1u828cqlzqa

@Cereal Killer & @paulfromcamden

OK, so I have a 24-bit file & I have to say that it is better than the vinyl. I tried three different turntables, just in case one of them was off, but there's no doubt, that in this case, the digital is better. My normal experience when playing analogue against digital, be it cd or stream, is that vinyl is better every time, normally better depth, the instruments are more tangible & more expressive, and the notes more expansive, but not in this case. I can only assume that this record has been mastered better for the digital issue. Comparing Lenco 88, Garrard 401 & LP12 against the Auralic, there's was no doubt which was better. The digital was more expressive, the notes more expansive, with greater resolution. This was particularly noticeable, where you had the real instruments like the cello or piano, with the electronic effects in the background. If they are not resolved correctly, those bits of electronica just come across as noise.

So, a disappointing record. It doesn't help that the pressing is very poor & I'm wondering if this is half the problem. Still, it does at least prove that the little Auralic Aries mini + Linear psu is capable of very good sound quality!

Regarding the music, it is apparent that because the vinyl sounds a bit flat, it doesn't come across as being particular impressive, so when I have more time, I'll give it another go; this time through the streamer!

Clark is an extremely talented producer. He clearly knows how to work his machines and can turn his hand to pretty much any style with ease, whilst still retaining a trademark sound. My favourite releases include "The Last Panthers" and "Death Peak" - though if you're new to his material then the "Feast / Beast" remix compilation is well worth checking out, and would be available reasonably priced via bleep.com

As mentioned above - his music will grow on you and there are rewards to be had with repeated listens.

I have one other Clark album - Turning dragon. Rival Consoles, I love & I have several recordings here; The decadent ep, 10, Howl, Night Melody & Persona.

advertisement

Back