advertisement

Hi Fi upgraditis: do you suffer from it?

I must admit that I have never suffered from 'upgraditis'. Every now and then something came along that seemed interesting so I gave it a try. Using this simple approach I now have a music playing system (with a huge thank you to pfm) that I didn't believe was possible all those years ago. The musical experience is almost as good (occasionally better!) as going to a live performance in those days before lock down. Yes we went regularly to live musical performances.

What I would like to try is a good class A amp but they are too heavy for an old cripple like me. Most come in a single chassis that needs a fork lift truck to move. Its a pity that they are almost always in silver too which is a no no. Dual mono blocks in black that would be a different story but just try getting a demo at home................ Even if you can find one!

Cheers,

DV

Why is this thread in 'off topic"? As this is a hifi forum, isn't this topic most definitely 'on topic'?

I think it needs upgrading to "Audio"

HiFi upgraditis?

I don’t think I have that.

I would like a slightly bigger music room, but that involves moving house.

Not much in the last decade (one change of speakers; one change of preamp), but I did have a whole lot in the decade before: two changes of speakers, three changes of amplification, two DAC changes, and three changes of source. That's a lot for me, but I know some here would get through that in a couple of years.

My system is modest, and mostly room-limited; no point in going much beyond what I have in terms of power or speaker size. If I have a weakness, it's speakers, but not being able to accommodate full-size floor-standers at their recommended wall distances saves me from a lot of temptation. On the other hand, that small room size does mean I would be interested in some Class A amplification given that I run at relatively low power levels, but the cost, weight and power consumption are still painful.

I also like to listen before buying, which is another major limiting factor these days.

No. Had a reasonably top end naim system for over a decade & now have an ATC set up. LP12 has been constant for about 15 years.

Will probably do a sub chassis & kore in the next year with some kind of streamer. No mad rush, system is generally stunning

Nowadays I like playing with old gear that isn't expensive, and things I've built. For 15 years I ran a full 47 Labs amplification, phono stage and CD player setup. That would have been hugely expensive if I hadn't bought it via a combination of visits to Japan, secondhand purchases, and grey imports, but I made a profit on selling it after listening to it very happily every day for 15 years, and I'm now happy in the vintage and DIY seats. I like swapping things around, so I have the guts of several possible systems, and try them all in multiple combos, but none of it is massively costly, and a lot of it I built or restored myself. The core is one pair of Tannoy Mansfields and one pair of LS3/5as. I think once you have speakers sorted the rest is much easier. Hifi is fun to play with if it doesn't involve spending serious money. Otherwise it's a drag.

Why is this thread in 'off topic"? As this is a hifi forum, isn't this topic most definitely 'on topic'?

I think it needs upgrading to "Audio"

Try persuading Tony L. He has already contributed to this thread, so I doubt whether he will delete it.

It's my fault for choosing the wrong room. Luckily, I didn't think about it too much- otherwise I would have put it in the Trade Classified.

Sorry to take the thread off-topic. Do you mean you connected a separate wire to the chassis of each component and then into a star leading to an earth point in a separate electrical socket?

No. I cut the pcb common ground track (if there is a pcb).

Then I solder a new insulated wire to the component that was connected to the pcb. The other end of the new wire is soldered to a star - the star being as close as convenient to the ultimate destination of the ground within the chassis. This is done with every component previously connected to the former common ground. So,,, we end up with a bunch of new, additional ground wires- which explains, perhaps, why few , if any, manufacturers do this. It involves more labour- i.e. higher cost to the customer- and a more 'messy' internal appearance. Do you look at the insides, or hear the outsides? Or (more likely, perhaps) few know how common grounds affect sound.

This upgrade works a treat on every shared ground including, for example, speaker crossovers. If there is no pcb l unsolder the ground to the component. Then proceed from there to instal a new, seperate ground wire running to a star. Create a new ground wire to star for every component previously connected to a common (shared) ground.

P. S. If doing it to crossovers, a better way to deal with passive crossovers (I hate them and only have one pair in my system) is to remove them from the cabinets. Then build a new, seperate box for them.. Put the box a few inches from the amp terminals (credit to Colloms). Solder your speaker wire(s) direct to the driver (s). Eliminate the common ground within the new xover box. I did all of this, plus upgraded the xover components with the best I could find. I use my passive xover only for the tweeter/super tweeter. These are in seperate boxes inches from my mosfet monobloks. A good improvement.

Last edited:
Check out the 'album' Audio Test Tones on Spotify etc. It plays various frequencies so you can test your ears. Mine are pretty fcked it seems so wallet is staying closed.

Check out the 'album' Audio Test Tones on Spotify etc. It plays various frequencies so you can test your ears. Mine are pretty fcked it seems so wallet is staying closed.

I’d probably argue the reverse, i.e. the more compromised your hearing the cleaner, clearer and more dynamic system you need to be able to continue enjoying music.

Thought I'd pretty much cured myself for the past decade or so, but this past year has been mad with lots of kit passing through.
I blame that on coming back to the new hi-fi scene after many years being happy with my 70s vintage gear, and Rega :)

I’d probably argue the reverse, i.e. the more compromised your hearing the cleaner, clearer and more dynamic system you need to be able to continue enjoying music.

That's an interesting observation and matches my own experience.
These days I cannot stand brightness or any hint of harshness in a system, especially 'speakers.
The much liked (by the industry pundits) Kef R3 is a perfect example. I hear hissing serpents and projectile sibilance.

I don't suffer so much from an urge to 'upgrade' so much as simply getting enjoyment from trying out different bits of kit i.e. I'm not necessarily expecting a new item to sound 'better' but perhaps to sound or feel a bit different from what I have. I particularly liked trying stuff that has gained that 'classic' status, to see if I can hear or feel why.

However having had quite a lot of stuff over the years I feel I'm approaching the end of that phase as the hassle of selling eventually got too boring/tiring, and instead have a couple of spare amps/speakers so if i fancy a change I can rotate what I already have.

advertisement

Back