advertisement

The Karousel has landed

Don't know, one off?

I doubt it's a common occurrence but I spoke to someone in the know who told me it does happen as Linn's manufacturing tolerances are not as tight as they used to be. Put it this way, in thirty years I never saw an out of balance platter. In the last fortnight I've seen two! One three years old and one brand new.

How did you determine the balance was out on the platter?

The suspension rocks in time with the platter rotation. So you mark the front edge of the platter at the point where the front of the arm-board dips. You then mark a line across the join between the inner-platter and outer-platter and rotate the outer-platter on the inner-platter. This lets you tell if it's the inner or outer platter which is off balance.

I also took the platter to a Linn dealer and put it on one of their decks and it wobbled in the same way.

I've actually just put 10g of wheel balance weights inside the lip of the platter and it's running almost perfectly. Still moving a tiny amount but it's hard to see even when you're looking for it. Still going to replace it!

So BS then. Why so intent on dissing Linn?

Nope. I'm just not compromising the person who told me to score points on the internet.

Why? You think I'm being unreasonable? I drive into Glasgow to collect a brand new platter and find it's out of balance and I should do what? Say "Gee thanks. Have my £200. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to have two wonky platters!" ?

Please, tell me what you would have done?

This does seem rather odd. I'd have assumed all platters would have been thoroughly checked before leaving the factory.

This does seem rather odd. I'd have assumed all platters would have been thoroughly checked before leaving the factory.

You would think wouldn't you? Linn have never balanced their platters. Their view was that if you machine them accurately enough you shouldn't have to, which seems to be true, but if you get an air bubble in the casting or the machining is a little out it also means you ain't going to catch it.

Do you know they don't balance the platters? How can the machining be out?

If you flip over platters on a lot of older heavy platter decks you'll see holes or marks machined into the underside. That's how they balance it. Ever seen that on an LP12?

Anything can be out. The guy doing it does it wrong. Most likely I think is that there is an air bubble in the casting.

A single air bubble can unbalance an LP12 platter? What is the weight of Mazak missing in that air bubble? I've just put a 2p on the edge of my platter and there is no movement of the platter up or down when it's rotating.

A single air bubble can unbalance an LP12 platter?

Who cares? Something does! I saw a brand new platter out of a sealed box not in balance. Before this I'd been told it happens. Forget my own platter, I don't know its history so I can't blame Linn for sure, but there is at least one platter I know for a fact left Linn out of balance. Why is not my problem, it's theirs.

I care, what you have stated makes no sense. 'If' the platter is out of balance there must be a reason, but it's not an air bubble as you claim.

I would expect Linn would replace a faulty platter under warranty.

a cast platter will be out of balance after being partially machined.
How much out will be variable.

sounds like the internal and/or external boss was out of true.

linn should look into the root cause when the defective parts are returned.

I don’t understand why mr pig would even consider a stock platter when there’s the opportunity for the fitment of a third party alternative.

advertisement

Back