advertisement

Turntable Question

Dee

Hello,

Back in 1987/88 I bought a new Roksan Xerxes with a Rega Rb 300 ( i think!) and a Linn k9 cart.

I am now looking to get a new turntable and would like to ask forum members what would be the equivalent deck today in terms of performance?

I know technology will have moved on since then and so will be interesting to get your views.

Many thanks

Dee

Not sure about the technology moving on, considering the popularity and efficacy of very old Goldrings, Garrards and Thorens etc. (which I had when current). F.w.i.w., I had a Xerxes (with Artemiz/Shiraz) late eighties, after an LP12. Went from that to an Orbe and seven years ago to a N.A. Dais with 12" arms. No going back.

Simply evaluate your requirements (sprung/unsprung, belt or idler drive, facility for longer/more than one arms etc. and look at the enormous choice of old and new. Re. arm, if a m/coil cart. is desired, a heavier mass arm would be desirable. All decks are different in various ways but they all do the same job. The Xerxes was okay (apart from sagging after a few years) but wasn't anything special, i.m.o.

Just to reiterate what Mike has said, there's lots of choice, think of what your priorities and budget are for a start and then look at what's available, you'll get plenty of advice on here but don't be afraid to follow your own path.

Hello,

Back in 1987/88 I bought a new Roksan Xerxes with a Rega Rb 300 ( i think!) and a Linn k9 cart.

I am now looking to get a new turntable and would like to ask forum members what would be the equivalent deck today in terms of performance?

I know technology will have moved on since then and so will be interesting to get your views.

Many thanks

Dee

In my humble opinion, the Roksan Xerxes was not a very good turntable (I know, because I had one). I think that virtually any mid-range or higher modern deck would be better by a considerable margin.

...what would be the equivalent deck today in terms of performance?

I'm going to guess and say a mid-range Rega. Of course there are so many turntables out there, and they all sound different, that it's impossible to say but things have moved on. Top turntables today provide a level of performance that was impossible at the equivalent price years ago. Designers understand the physics better these days.

It comes down to your budget, what sort of sound you like, whether you want new or used, many options.

I don't necessarily agree that turntables have moved on that much tbh, I just view the Roksan Xerxes as an unfortunate glitch in record player development! I'm using Michell Hydraulic reference, Garrard 401 and Lenco 88 decks here to great affect and both are much older the Roksan Xerxes.

I don't necessarily agree that turntables have moved on that much tbh, I just view the Roksan Xerxes as an unfortunate glitch in record player development! I'm using Michell Hydraulic reference, Garrard 401 and Lenco 88 decks here to great affect and both are much older the Roksan Xerxes.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Great turntables are not a new thing but the technology has allowed manufacturers to build really good sounding turntables which cost a lot less than a similar sound quality might have cost decades ago.

Just had a quick look on epay hoping to find Roksan Xerxes going really cheap due to the known issues and hopefully bag one.... FFS how much!!?? Even ones described as "drooping top plate, no arm, PSU faulty, Spares only" are going for like £500!! I thought maybe £80- 100 in that condition... which is all I would pay!

I suppose the Vertere is the nearest to your Roksan, but if you are intending to buy new, I would recommend you at least give a listen to a Technics SL1200GR, if any turntable betters it, then decide if it is worth paying the extra.

You think? I agree they are nice turntables but you can get an LP12 for that sort of money. The Linn sounds similar but better and has more options and upgrade potential.

The arm is a Helius Orion and they alone sell at around £500.

I preferred the xerxes to a lp12 in a blind listening test at Sound Advice in Loughborough done by Derek Whittington.

They do seem to hold their price.

Pete

I’ve got a Xerxes /Akito, a decent deck that’s had a mod to prevent sag, an age equivalent lp12 would be £500 more 2nd hand complete with upgraditus as standard.

If I had money to blow (as if) I'd listen to VPI. On more of a budget you won't beat the Well Tempered Simplex or a Rega.

I have a sme 20 these days but if looking for a sub £1k deck I was going to suggest a gyro, but just checked hifi shark, ouch !!

advertisement

Back