advertisement

Anyone gone back to CD from streaming?

Never moved away from vinyl / CDs because they're the best (sometimes only) way of getting the latest releases from the folk artists I follow. If they move with the times I might think about it, but would miss scanning the shelves for music to suit the mood (which crosses all genres)

I was a devout CD and vinyl user until two weeks ago when I picked up a Yamaha WXAD 10 and now stream through that. Good points and bad……
Good: whole world of music at your fingers for instant listening; pretty much cd quality with Tidal HiFi, took 500+ compact discs out of the house so more space
Bad: I’ve slipped into bad listening habits, almost like ‘grazing’; I don’t feel I own the music, I’m just leasing it; I can only listen to what streaming services choose to provide; took 500+ compact discs out of the house, I told my wife it was like putting my life in storage.
I think my cd collection will return…

There’s no one source I consider better. Having the choice is the thing. I love streaming for its immediacy, it’s choice and it’s often great sound quality. I love cd and vinyl for the same attributes really.

I was a devout CD and vinyl user until two weeks ago when I picked up a Yamaha WXAD 10 and now stream through that. Good points and bad……
Good: whole world of music at your fingers for instant listening; pretty much cd quality with Tidal HiFi, took 500+ compact discs out of the house so more space
Bad: I’ve slipped into bad listening habits, almost like ‘grazing’; I don’t feel I own the music, I’m just leasing it; I can only listen to what streaming services choose to provide; took 500+ compact discs out of the house, I told my wife it was like putting my life in storage.
I think my cd collection will return…
Why don’t you just listen to the music and forget the stuff that doesn’t really matter. Life is too short.

Streaming, FFS. Backed up by physical media for those (very) rare things that are otherwise unavailable. Why would you want anything else?

Hi-fi nerds, cuh...

Streaming plus vinyl here. Have 2000+ CDs ripped, but haven’t bought a new one in years. Only recent rips have been a few CDs that came with the vinyl.

Last CD setup was an Oppo BDP-83 used as a digital transport feeding my Naim NDS. Could not hear a significant difference between CD playback and streaming, so opted for the latter for convenience and selection. Currently using Roon, and subscribed for a year to both Tidal and Qobuz. Will let one lapse, but have not decided which yet.

Am strictly an album listener. If I know what I want to listen to, and if I own the vinyl, then that’s what I’ll usually play.

I have a pi based source and a macbook Pro feeding my dac, I still prefer the audiolab cdm transport as a source. Not as convenient, but just feels righter.

Never bothered with streaming as I could see no point.

Happy with records and c.d’s.

If i am being honest, I find streaming a bit crass.
The idea of it leaves a bad taste in the thought.

Sort of thing I would use if I was soo disabled I couldn’t get to the HiFi.

Lps are my main source, CDs secondary though normally if I can't get it on vinyl sometimes tapes or the radio for background .
Streaming, I tried Spotify but it's not for me.

Ripped all my CD's (3000+) to FLAC several years ago so my listening is largely Streaming and Vinyl. My purchases have been all vinyl for the last 2 years.

Subscribed to Tidal and moved to Roon in the last 12 months and this has opened up a lot of opportunity re new music (and great multi room functionality - and great ability for the family to explore music on other devices {e.g. my teenage son on his iphone}). I do find I spend too much time flicking through stuff and not enough listening - that is one trigger to go and put some vinyl on.

I did notice Tidal has no Chesky albums on it - but I can stream my FLACs.

My brother has been streaming FLAC's for longer than me and was taking all of his CD's down to the local "Op shop" to give them to charity. He invited me to come and have my pick first. Walked away with 20+ Chesky albums I didn't have (mostly classical) and 40 or so other CD's. Still have not ripped these, but I will.

I find no significant sound quality difference between playing FLAC or CD.

I love my vinyl and can't see me ever getting rid of it.

For digital though.. I got sick of spending half the night looking for a particular CD..as well as being overrun with the bloody things. So, I bought an Innuos, ripped all of my CDs and like others, find FLAC files indistinguishable from CD. My CDs are in the loft. The Innuos also provides access to Internet Radio, meaning my old and flakey budget tuner can go. (Denon TU260L) Not interested in streaming services though.
I still have my Rotel RCD 965 BX CDP..which gets occasional use with new CD purchases etc. Also my Yamaha CDR, which I use for digitising selected vinyl... doing the odd CD copy for the car etc.

I stopped buying CDs ~15 years ago, then moved to a different continent, leaving my CDs behind. I just had a hard drive of MP3s. I joined Spotify around 2010 or so and that became my sole source of music. Over time I started to notice how my listening habits and my relationship with music changed when I listened on Spotify. On the one hand, very few albums stuck with me. Instead I would always be on the lookout for something new and I would just straight-up forget about the releases I was listening to in the previous months. On the other hand, I felt that the software interface itself didn't let me have the feeling of curating my own collection of music (especially once they started going hard into AI-based recommendations). Through all of this, music was increasingly just something that would go in the background.

I got fed up with all of that last year, so I started buying music again. It has been a mix of downloads and CDs. Initially the idea was just to do downloads but sometimes the CD was basically the same price. Once I started ripping CDs, I started looking out for good finds at charity shops. Suddenly I have a decent start to a CD collection again. Still, though, the main way of listening was via FLAC either streamed from an RPi to a SoTM-sMS200 NEO SE streamer (main system) or played directly from a computer (office). For the past few months I have been looking into buying a CD player to put those stacks of CDs to good use, but I figured if I'd do so I might as well make it a bit different from streaming through a modern DAC. So, I just bought a vintage Denon CD player with dual multi-bit DACs (Burr-Brown PCM-64P). Obviously too early to say anything about it but I'm looking forward to that more tangible experience of perusing and listening to CDs instead of scrolling and searching on a screen.

Not sure I've ever actually "streamed" as such. I use a PC connected directly to a DAC, and have done for many years (2 PC's and four DAC's in)

No going back for me!

I'll never miss having to find A CD to wang into the (slightly unreliable) DVD32R, or the 4 second buffer on the original DAC64 I used to own. SQ only ever went up or stayed the same and convenience certainly only ever went up.

Major improvements along the path are development of the Benchmark DACS (I've had all of them) and the USB2 Xmos interface which alleviates the need to use a professional SP/diff soundcard for playback.

Went from Foobar 2000 to JRMC and my current preferred interface is Kernel streaming from JRMC into the Benchmark USB2 driver with Windows audio turned off.

I still use Analogue in similar measure and my LP collection isn't going anywhere, but some LP's are just crap compared to their digital counterparts, and most others are about the same, with the odd analogue "superhero".

honest, I find streaming a bit crass.

Sort of thing I would use if I was soo disabled I couldn’t get to the HiFi.

Crass is using disability to signify a preference.

I’m presuming it’s just a thoughtless comment with no intent to offend but disabilities are no joke and those suffering them have a hard enough time at the best of times.

Soo disabled is just so offensive, substitute lesbian or gay or black and see how it sounds.

.sjb

The other day, while searching for something else in the Room of Doom, I uncovered a surprise Denon DCD-1015 and plugged it into the system. I was never greatly impressed with it, and thought I'd sold it long ago. Dunno what's happened over the last decade or so in its box, but bugger me if it didn't sound really good! Except for needing a a tiny treble reduction, it's very nearly on a par with my laptop that has long been my storage medium and streaming source.

So, CDs I've been a-playing. Getting up and being more physically involved with the digi-stuff has been a pleasant change.

Tried Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz but when I want to hear music I have grown with and love, it's already there on my vinyl and cd's collection. Why would I have to pay a monthly fee only to hear what I already have?

Isn't it mostly a generation thing? Older folks may not be inclined to hear new ''pop'' music material but younger folks want to hear it all so for the latter bunch, streaming makes sense.

Everyone have a choice, buy music or rent it forever and ever...

@ sloop I think he's referring to his own disability.

Yeah, maybe I’m being too precious but it just sounded a bit glib and insensitive to me.

Wouldn’t be doing justice to the many people I know with disabilities if I didn’t call it out.

.sjb

advertisement

Back