advertisement

Tonearm cable recommendations for SME 309

MikeMA

pfm Member
I'm about to swap out the Michell TecnoArm 2 on my Gyrodec for an SME 309.

I will need a new arm cable with a 90 deg. SME arm plug on one end and RCAs on the other. I don't have a fixed budget but I'm not going to spend silly money, so what would pfm'ers recommend around the £200 mark?

Cartridge is an AT33PTG, phono stage is an EAR 834 P Deluxe, amp is a Jadis Orchestra, and speakers are Harbeth HLP3-ESRS, if any of that helps.

Cables I've seen which look promising:

Westbury Audio

Audio Origami

I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What's wrong with the stock SME cable? Or does it no longer accompany the arm?

Personally I'm using the stock SME-supplied cable with my SME V until I find a Nordost at the right price.

I have an Audio Origami cable and agree that it is well-made. Can't comment on the sound since there hasn't been a working cart on the 12' Ittok for several years.

My experience of your phono stage and Cardas Golden Referecne tonearm cable (admittedly with a DV20 rather than your cart) suggests that Cardas might be too "warm" for your system.

What's wrong with the stock SME cable? Or does it no longer accompany the arm?

Personally I'm using the stock SME-supplied cable with my SME V until I find a Nordost at the right price.

I have an Audio Origami cable and agree that it is well-made. Can't comment on the sound since there hasn't been a working cart on the 12' Ittok for several years.

My experience of your phono stage and Cardas Golden Referecne tonearm cable (admittedly with a DV20 rather than your cart) suggests that Cardas might be too "warm" for your system.
The arm is used, and comes with a Van Damme cable. While I'm sure it's perfectly decent, it has a straight connector and to install the SME on the Gyrodec without the cable fouling, I really need one with a right-angled connector, so I thought I'd upgrade it at the same time.

I'm about to swap out the Michell TecnoArm 2 on my Gyrodec for an SME 309.

I will need a new arm cable with a 90 deg. SME arm plug on one end and RCAs on the other. I don't have a fixed budget but I'm not going to spend silly money, so what would pfm'ers recommend around the £200 mark?

Cartridge is an AT33PTG, phono stage is an EAR 834 P Deluxe, amp is a Jadis Orchestra, and speakers are Harbeth HLP3-ESRS, if any of that helps.

Cables I've seen which look promising:

Westbury Audio

Audio Origami

I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Audio Origami Cable is great and sounds really good. I am using one on my PU7. So if Johnnie at Audio Origami can supply it with the SME right angle connector then you can’t go far wrong. You should have a fair amount of change from £200 too...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
His own website says 8th September, but actually I don't think he's been active since the second lockdown started.

No idea if his business is in trouble, I certainly hope not.

Yannis moves between the UK and Greece. If he's out in Greece for the summer it might be issues with postage costs etc since Brexit.

Cardas all the way. I do use a Zafino though as I can't really afford a proper Cardas one.

I am reactivating this thread, as I currently have a Van Den Hul D-501 Silver Hybrid Tonearm Cable from which I want to move away from, for non acoustic reasons (problem with VdH's QC as well as a dealer who wasn't too helpful in the process).

Before that I had the original SME Cable for my 309 (on an SME 15), but that was too long for my needs (ca.1.8m which I find pretty long for a tonearm cable).

Given that the interior cabling of the 309 is silver (so are the headshell cables) it might make sense to stick with silver for the tone arm cable as well. Current mk2 SME models are using Crystal Cable for the interior cabling (and have RCA sockets) so I thought I could give the cheapest Crystal Cable a try (not cheap though). Anyone have any experience with that?

Or mix and match and go for a copper cable after all?

<sigh>

First world problems and all that.

I am reactivating this thread, as I currently have a Van Den Hul D-501 Silver Hybrid Tonearm Cable from which I want to move away from, for non acoustic reasons (problem with VdH's QC as well as a dealer who wasn't too helpful in the process).

Before that I had the original SME Cable for my 309 (on an SME 15), but that was too long for my needs (ca.1.8m which I find pretty long for a tonearm cable).

Given that the interior cabling of the 309 is silver (so are the headshell cables) it might make sense to stick with silver for the tone arm cable as well. Current mk2 SME models are using Crystal Cable for the interior cabling (and have RCA sockets) so I thought I could give the cheapest Crystal Cable a try (not cheap though). Anyone have any experience with that?

Or mix and match and go for a copper cable after all?

<sigh>

First world problems and all that.

The new SME decks have crystal cable because they are basically the same company

finger quotes
marketing

I used Audience AU24e with angled connector on my SME V, now I have Thomas Shick arm with non detachable cable, but would really love to convert it to have DIN socket - Audience is fantastic cable.

Erm, a £1500 cable and a £550 cart?
I have the standard cable and a £3995 cart on my V. What do you think makes the most difference?
To my long term finances? :)
I consider the cart to be a consumable :)
I get the most out of my PTG with what I've got - SME20/2a, Moon 810LP and Chord Signature. Your cart with my cable and my phono stage would be good fun but I don't listen to enough vinyl to justify the cost... my money is in the digital source - dCS Rossini Apex and clock :)

advertisement

Back