advertisement

Rega P1 Upgrade, sound and looks…..

My kids both have recent P1's and they're excellent turntables. I've got an older P2 in one of my systems and it's certainly better, but it does have a better arm (an RB300) and cartridge (an AT moving coil). It's no better looking than the P1 though.

I've got a Project Debut 3 with a few upgrades (acrylic platter, speedbox, DL110 cartridge) in my living room system and that looks and sounds better than the P1's do.

I've got an ancient LP12 in my main system and that actually cost me the same as the P1's did and sounds better than any of the other decks I have! I think it looks better as well.

Precisely....

I have a RP1 and was thinking of upgrading to the RP3, now wondering whether it might be better changing the cartridge on the RP1 - If I were to do that, what would you recommend? I'm only just listening to vinyl again and at most, I have about forty LPs. I mostly stream.

I would suggest that you keep the RP1 as is for now. If you continue to buy more and more records then that may then be worth upgrading to e.g a P3...

Rega turntable Upgrade path: if you have a p1 get a p3.If you have a P2 with the stock Carbon, get a better cartridge, because the p2 tornearm is good.

I'd suggest looking for a Rega RP6, a discontinued model which was replaced by the Planar 6 a couple of years ago. The used price seems to have a fallen - on Ebay at least - and it's possible to pick one up for £600-£700. The improvement over an P1 would be considerable.

I do like Rega turntables and kit in general. Just wish they’d looked a little less functional, that they looked as good as they sound.

I have a RP1 and was thinking of upgrading to the RP3, now wondering whether it might be better changing the cartridge on the RP1

Actually, I think you'd notice the difference if you upgraded that to a more modern Rega. The RP1 has the old motor. The 24v motor on the current decks makes a big difference. Even the P1 is noticeably better than the RP1 and you can upgrade with the Neo PSU too. A friend has literally just done that and is very happy with it.

Bought my LP12 used off EBay, with Ittock, Valhalla etc., and was initially underwhelmed with it, even compared to my old direct drive Dual...

Yeah, this is worth explaining. Not all LP12s are equal. There are so many variations and specifications that the LP12 can really only be thought of as a turntable series, ranging from wonderful to quite poor. Add in the fact that some are nearly fifty years old and just buying any old LP12 is no guarantee of happiness. Potentially nice turntables but if you can't make sure you're buying a good one, I'd avoid it.

advertisement

Back