advertisement

Living with a Nait 2...

To my mind, they're only over-hyped if you don't like what you hear or don't think they are worth the money.

Yet prices slowly but steadily rise which suggests to me that folks are hanging onto them and think they are worth the investment. Let's face it, they are easy enough to sell on.

About 14 years ago I bought an Olive Nait 2 as I decided that my then system, 202/NAPSC/HiCap/200, was not getting the use it deserved. The Nait was lovely and worked well with the n-Sats with dedicated stands. It was musical and I really did not find it lacking in bass and I never play music LOUD. Then the itch - speakers changed to Neat Motive 1s that lasted a week (too much bass that the Nait could not handle) and were replaced by Neat Motive 2s.

The Nait 2 was then replaced with a CB Nait 2 which I preferred aesthetically (beautiful retro styling). I was content. Then digital came along and things got changed. UnitiQute, SuperUniti, Guru Juniors, Unitiqute 2, Exposure XM5, Aries Mini, Uniti Atom, 62/90, 32.5/140, 32.5/110, TeddyCap, RSL cards (the CB Nait 2 was sold to help with the UQ purchase). In the interim I bought another CB Nait 2 for the office feeding Spendor S3/5R2s. A moment of epiphany happened when I was looking to spend money on some Witch Hat cables!!! No more!

The CB Nait 2 was moved to the main system and the speakers (I loved those Gurus) were changed to the wonderful Spendor 4/5s and the separates moved on. Sources are Aries Mini with LPS feeding Chord Qutest, Rega RP6 and Meridian 206 Delta Sigma.

I am now content again (4 months now) and in retrospect I could have saved a lot of money and heartache if I had stayed with that Nait as some have. But the grass is always greener right?

z3sBs20.jpg

Slumming it with the Nait 2……

A great story, Neil, I followed several parts of that journey, admiring the wonderful gear you had acquired, and in a sense feeling relief that I can just be happy with my CB Nait 2 :)

I do admire the undertaking, at least you are now sure sure having tried everything yourself. There is much to be had in the pursuit of experience/wisdom that way IMO. Even if later on you can see the direct path you could have taken with the knowledge you have now, but didn’t have at the time.

Wishing everyone much joy with their Naits 1 & 2 they are classics, soundwise and as industrial design. As to the mentioned possible overhyping, they are not everything for all occasions, there are most certainly “better” or “better suited” systems out there. It’s just that the classic Naits seem to provide a special kind of “joy in ownership” rarely matched by other solutions, perhaps because of the simplicity, and I guess that is what makes them special.

Maurice

I think it got a lot of love because it was a cheeky chappy amongst all the high-end gloss of Naim. I had one amongst all the chrome bumper royalty I tried. It was crude but it really rocked and put a smile on your face.

Painting the kitchen dining room at the moment so the Nait 1 and MS10s are disconnected, so sound is coming through the TV speakers god it sounds terrible.

Pete

The Nait has enabled what’s in a recording to ‘reach’ the speakers.
The Stirlings’ inherent transparency, imaging and superb bass are now increased to a level
I hadn’t expected.

Couldn't agree more Martin. I have been using a Nait 2 with Stirling V2's for a few years now as a second system and always felt it allowed me to listen for hours and hours 'into' whatever type of music or recording i was listening to. It seemed a superb match to me which defines what good hifi should be about.

My only surprise was that no one else seemed to think this - until now..!

Enjoy !

On a side note i would love to know what the V3 Stirlings bring to the party but thats another thread.

To my mind, they're only over-hyped if you don't like what you hear or don't think they are worth the money.

Yet prices slowly but steadily rise which suggests to me that folks are hanging onto them and think they are worth the investment. Let's face it, they are easy enough to sell on.
A prime example of 'free hi-fi' (copyright @Tony L), if ever there was one. One can easily sell on for what one paid, possibly more than.

Would love to add a CB Nait 2 to my shoebox collection.
20210805-135020.jpg

Sadly the way prices are going I doubt it will ever happen. Check out this very average looking Olive Nait 2, already up to £719 with 2 days to go & the seller doesn't even know if it works!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naim-NAI...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Much to my shame, in all my years in this hobby I've never owned a Naim product. Even more inexplicable given that I worked for a sheet metal work company from 1999-2004 who supplied much of Naims metalwork. I recall being told that would have entitled me to Naims 30% staff discount. Still couldn't afford it at the time!
Coincidentally the aluminum extrusion fabrication company I worked for from 2013-2020 supply much of Regas casework.

TS

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi TS

2 Rotel BX965s (or close, 955?) and what player is at the bottom?
Arcam Delta 60 and it’s earlier variant underneath to the left?

A bake off with all 3 would be interesting. Lots of love for both of yours (before the shit show).
Be happy with what you have (lucky man).

Yep, 2 BX965s, I already had one then a while back I bought a pair of Epos ES11s off that auction site. When I went to collect them the seller had a mint BX965 that he was willing to throw in for a price I couldn't turn down.
Really should sell one of them (& maybe a couple of the amps!)
Player underneath is a Grundig CD8400 MKll.
Your right about the Delta 60 & it's older brother.
The Delta 60 is still one of the great hifi bargains, won't be long before people catch on though.
TS

Yes, the Delta 60 is certainly under rated (I have bought 1 for each of my daughters’s system - less than £100 each!). I did try a BX965 but the drawer would not open. Sent it back and the seller sent a video back of it working perfectly (I sent a video of it not opening). Very strange. Didn’t really need it.

The Onix just looks so good (original Nait 2 modelled on it I imagine) and I can only imagine that the Onix Icon debacle had something to do with your recent lack of sale. Oh, how does it compare with the Nait?

I was reminded recently about the Nait 2’s volume imbalance at low volume (a comment from a new CB Nait 2 owner) due to the high sensitivity of the the inputs that are not designed for the 2V output of most modern equipment.

I do not have this problem myself for 2 reasons:

1. The Chord Qutest which handles most of my inputs is set to 1V output (2V and 3V are also selectable).

2. I use my AURALiC Aries Mini for most of my listening (iRadio and music stored on internal SSD) and the variable volume is set to 70%.

9 o’clock is normal listening and 12 o’clock is loud. Just some ideas. :)

If you're happy to live with it, and want to do a very simple mod to the Nait2 there are two resistors whose legs can be snipped to remove the gain from the pre-amp stage. This will allow more volume knob travel.

This mod should have a naim...er, name.

'Circumcision'?

If it were Linn it would obviously be 'Cirkumcision', and only to be performed by a qualified Mohel.

More like “Vasektomy” (snip, snip)

But yeah, that’d be sacrilege, although I’m more of a Nait 1 person, having tried all Naits up to 5i.

advertisement

Back