advertisement

Naim NAC 12 on ebay

Charlie_1

pfm Member
Moorgate Acoustics are selling a NAC 12:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16500007...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Class A are upstairs so easy to get serviced - save about 25 quid on insured UK shipping

Photos aren't great but condition looks pretty good

Perhaps give them a call and you might get a better price buying direct

Classic pre that will sound great with a bolt down 160 - better than NAC 32/32.5/42/42.5/72 in my opinion

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crikey, a few years ago you'd struggle to get £50 for one of those. What exactly do people see (or hear) in them?

To my ear they're not dissimilar to a 32 or 42 but with only a single power rail they're nowhere near as revealing as a modern source needs.

I run a 42 which has been modded to run on 4 rails line in only and it's comes up quite nicely but it isn't replacing the 82!

Think I paid just over £300 for mine on ebay about 3 years ago. Also unserviced.

Not as clean sounding as my 32.5 but makes more sense of the music - similar to my Nait 1 in that respect. The thinner sound matches well with the warmer bolt down amps.

Well I have a Naim 12s dual/split railed running of a HiCap and it will beat the crap out of any 32/72 or higher, get them set up right and they are still one of the best pre amps Naim ever made.

I agree it’s a stonkingly good pre amp, maybe not as open and revealing as later units but musical in spades.

wish I’d invested in a few when they were £50

I have a 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s cards, Hicap with Avondale TPR4 and a stock version of the NAP160BD and it’s almost perfect to me but I would like to know if anyone compared such a modified 32.5 against a 12 ?

Well I have a Naim 12s dual/split railed running of a HiCap and it will beat the crap out of any 32/72 or higher, get them set up right and they are still one of the best pre amps Naim ever made.

Curious since it's basically identical to a Naim 42 apart from being built on a motherboard with plug in cards, and the 32(.5) and 72 are the same again but with additional cards many of which aren't used by most people. There are actually 12's and BD 32's out there with identical cards.

One sonic difference you definitely will get compared with later built equipment is that 12's and early 42/32's were built with carbon composition resistors as opposed to metal film, and that does lead to a different sound. My 42 is like that and also predates the Alps black pot so it ought to sound very similar to a 12. I can certainly see where people get the "leaner" from.

Curious since it's basically identical to a Naim 42 apart from being built on a motherboard with plug in cards, and the 32(.5) and 72 are the same again but with additional cards many of which aren't used by most people. There are actually 12's and BD 32's out there with identical cards.

One sonic difference you definitely will get compared with later built equipment is that 12's and early 42/32's were built with carbon composition resistors as opposed to metal film, and that does lead to a different sound. My 42 is like that and also predates the Alps black pot so it ought to sound very similar to a 12. I can certainly see where people get the "leaner" from.
What's weird is that the 12 retains its core character even when swapping the cards over with 32/42 etc.

advertisement

Back