advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's true of course it makes a difference to the figures. It's the change in the figures I'm focussing on, the change from growth to decline.

It is certainly true. Reinfections are reported via the weekly surveillance report (pp 17-19 most recently) They're problematic to count owing to the lack of routine testing and sequencing during the first wave.

Long covid in children: the numbers are being spun as low (i.e. they could be worse) 1 in 20 has symptoms lasting 4 weeks, while 1 in 50 has longer lasting symptoms (defined as 2 months or more). I believe there are about 12 million school age children so that's 1/4 million of the more serious cases if all children are to be allowed to become infected. The long term effects, particularly on brain development, of course remain unknown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58071898

Interesting watching this play out on Twitter this morning. Always interesting to see which studies are “deeply flawed” requiring ruthless critique and total dismissal, and which need to immediately inform policy with no critical evaluation whatsoever. Also interesting to see when ZOE data is giving us the “real picture” and when it’s just a load of noise from an app.

This looks reassuring to me, and it’s far from an outlier.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ile/1007511/S1327_Short_Long_COVID_report.pdf

JCVI is now recommending vaccines for 16-17 year olds though, which hopefully will reassure some.

Well we know now what it doesn't mean. My question is, what does it mean for, for example, incidence? Or transmission? Maybe it's a question that's too hard to answer for anyone who posts here.

2 of my nephews, in their 30s, both just had 2nd jabs have tested positive and are isolating. Typical symptoms so far, fingers crossed for a full recovery and that they don't pass it on.

Antibody levels above 90% in every nation of the UK - ONS
Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest insights - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Can anyone who knows about science tell me what this means as far as the COVID crisis is concerned? What does it mean for incidence, for symptoms, that sort of stuff?

In terms of detailed answers to your questions, you’ll need to wait for one of the independent expert committees.

For me this is useful background information without itself being any kind of ‘answer’. As already noted, this is mostly data from adults that are in various surveys - so is aggregated data which is weaker than from a single study - plus an unknown percentage of over-16s. Also be aware that you can be ‘antibody positive’ while having a level of antibodies that would be like taking a knife to a gunfight should you be exposed to a decent dose of the virus.

So, better than only 60% of the population having antibodies, but don’t start dancing in the streets just yet….

Sad surely preventable.Fit 42 yr old who refused vaccine dies of Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-southport-who-rejected-vaccine-dies-of-covid

I believe lots of ICU /hospitalised cases now are vaccine refusers.
It's ridiculous, my girlfriend (French) has just gone in reluctantly for her first, following news that she won't be allowed into bars restaurants etc anywhere without it or test certificates prior to entry. She has also influenced her son against the concept of vaccines. But he is not allowed into college in September without vaccination proof or tests every few days. So he has gone with her.

About the only thumbs up I can give Macron and his authoritarianism so far is this.

I wonder if fitness obsessives are run down as a result of the stress they put their bodies through which may be explain why they sometimes get colds etc worse than others.

Its a worry as being ventilated doesn't sound much fun.

Well we know now what it doesn't mean. My question is, what does it mean for, for example, incidence? Or transmission? Maybe it's a question that's too hard to answer for anyone who posts here.

I wasn't so much referring to what it doesn't mean, but rather to what it is - misleading. The bold headline clearly and quite obviously intentionally implies that it's 90% of the whole population.

Unfortunately, the answer to what it does mean appears to be 'it's a bit vague, so hard to say'. Fingers crossed something more useful can be drawn from it/appears soon.

As I understand, being fit helps your immunity. But if you have a naturally low one, then being fit is not going to bring it up to par, just gives it an incremental improvement.

The huge U-Turn (in the space of two weeks when there has been no material change in circumstances) from JCVI is confirmed but it's only 16 and 17 year olds - seems to confirm that Pfizer vaccine is still in short supply.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...0811859febd8f9#block-610aa4a48f0811859febd8f9

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/04/which-countries-are-vaccinating-minors-against-covid

"Just two weeks after the body recommended against routine vaccination of children, two government sources confirmed that the JCVI was reconsidering its ruling. Jabs for over-12s are currently limited to those who are clinically vulnerable or live with someone at risk."

"Ministers are believed to have been in favour of older children getting access to the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, and had asked the JCVI to keep the situation under review."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...6-and-17-expected-to-be-offered-covid-vaccine

I wonder if fitness obsessives are run down as a result of the stress they put their bodies through which may be explain why they sometimes get colds etc worse than others.

Its a worry as being ventilated doesn't sound much fun.

Over training can lead to immune suppression, but you have to do a LOT of training - much more than the chap in the Guardian link. It's not really a problem for 99.9% of the population. Poor cardiovascular health is a much bigger risk factor.

As always, though, you can do all the right things, in terms of eating, exercise, sleeping etc and just have unlucky genes. But generally, being healthy seems to tip the COVID odds in your favour, just not as much as getting vaccinated. Personally I do both - and cross my fingers regarding the genetics.

29 312 cases today (up slightly on a week ago and a huge jump from yesterday), 119 deaths and 686 admissions (2nd)

I have just heard that a distant friend has successfully taken her own life. Apparently, she couldn't cope with long-covid I suspect that it won't get recorded as a covid death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back