advertisement

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

Nice one Robert - Congrats - Your in for a treat - Looking forward to reading your thoughts when they run in more.
Best sound I ever heard was 20.1's at the Windsor show in 2018.They just vanished and no sweet spot either seating wise.
Maggies = Magic :)
What have you got BTW LRS 0.7's 1.7 i's ?

Champagne was my first thought on that glorious day but alas I was a bit skint.... so I went out and celebrated with a few real ales:)

We have a bottle of fizz hanging about usually.
It was a glorious day.
I probably necked the fizz and then had real ale, which is what I like most. Ale doesn’t give me guts ache like wine does. It would have been a drunken celebration.

Nice one Robert - Congrats - Your in for a treat - Looking forward to reading your thoughts when they run in more.
Best sound I ever heard was 20.1's at the Windsor show in 2018.They just vanished and no sweet spot either seating wise.
Maggies = Magic :)
What have you got BTW LRS 0.7's 1.7 i's ?

Thanks :) - I've got lots to write up this coming weekend, P10 and now Maggies.
These are the tiddlers , the LRS but quite large enough for me given the room is 14x12.

They were a customer return and are about 3 months old.
Bought to partner Denon AV amp apparently it it was having none of it.

Mmm 3.5 Ohms flat and apparently the 86dBw rating is rather optimistic. More like 82dBw.
Amp can do 175w into 4 Ohms and it's a small room so should work.
I'll soon find out - tonight - music or smoke!

I guess this is when speaker cables start to matter rather more.
They are more like 82 dbw. I have 160w from the Yammy and it’s is enough but I suspect they will really open up at 300 and above. Not got the readies to try this yet though.

screen_shot_2020-05-14_at_12.15.19_pm.png

You're gonna need a bigger amp.

Thanks :) - I've got lots to write up this coming weekend, P10 and now Maggies.
These are the tiddlers , the LRS but quite large enough for me given the room is 14x12.

They will fill the room easily. Mine are lovely au natural with vocals etc. And the REL has helped the orchestral. But they are critical of poor recordings.

I rather liked the little SMGa, for which I assume these are a replacement. Good speakers and usable in a typical small UK room without images getting comedically tall, though they need some power as I recall (a Krell used in this case).

You need to really work with the positioning.
Once dialled in they’re pretty magnificent. Wide open soundstage, tangible, immediate sound and, on good recordings ,they can take your breath away. I think they very special and became classics within weeks of their introduction. I was so pleased that I took the plunge. Once I get going with my new job role I will work on giving them the quality of amplification they deserve!

I rather liked the little SMGa, for which I assume these are a replacement. Good speakers and usable in a typical small UK room without images getting comedically tall, though they need some power as I recall (a Krell used in this case).

I've got them playing now from a TV feed (Last of the Summer Wine :) ) and the imaging is interesting when listening near-field. It basically tracks your head position. So if you slump down in the chair the image height also drops. Sit up high and the image height also lifts. I guess that's what happens when you sit close to a line source. Sounding great though even with zero positioning effort so far. Sonically more akin to Quad 57 then 63.

I've got them playing now from a TV feed (Last of the Summer Wine :) ) and the imaging is interesting when listening near-field. It basically tracks your head position. So if you slump down in the chair the image height also drops. Sit up high and the image height also lifts. I guess that's what happens when you sit close to a line source. Sounding great though even with zero positioning effort so far. Sonically more akin to Quad 57 then 63.
Have you positioned them upright or lying back?

I ran a loaner pair of SMGc off a Cyrus One (Tog) for a week and they sounded lovely with Classical, Jazz, and Blues; Massive Attack, no so much.
Massive Attack was more successful with the sub but I’m a classical, jazz and voice fan so they are pretty much ideal for me.

I ran a loaner pair of SMGc off a Cyrus One (Tog) for a week and they sounded lovely with Classical, Jazz, and Blues; Massive Attack, no so much.
Cyrus II with PSX delivers 125W@4Ohms, nearly doubling the power from 8 to 4 Ohms thus delivering lots of current, even with Massive Attack no probs…

advertisement

Back