advertisement

New iPad due?

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
I’m thinking of buying a new iPad, I love my iPad mini but for some tasks I’m now using it for, a larger screen would be useful. I’ve been eyeing up the 8th gen 10.2” 128gb model (I really don’t need the Air or Pro)… problem is, everywhere seems to be out of stock of most of the 8th gen models. Amazon have four gold 128gb WiFi models, but that’s about it right now…

Does this mean a 9th gen is imminent? I have read rumours of a new model with the A14 Bionic chip, but there’s no indication of a likely release date. I can wait a few weeks.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am looking to replace my iPad 10.5” Pro but will for sure wait until the launch of the the new products, currently scheduled for September. Maybe the M1 chip will find its way into more iPads. I find https://9to5mac.com/ to be as good a source as any for information, leaks and useful speculation. If nothing much new comes out in September there’s still a great range to choose from. My Mrs got an iPad Air a while back and it is superb. And a MacMini M1, which is ridiculously good. So I’d say be patient.

I do like the look of the M1 Pro but I bought a new MacBook pro a few months back and use that for power hungry tasks, so it’s probably overkill. Main things I use my iPad for are web browsing, controlling my Linn DS, controlling an Allen & Heath mixing desk remotely, and as a DJ control interface… my iPad mini 4 still has enough processing power for these tasks, but it’s a bit small for the latter two. The Air is a possibility, and should a well specified 9th gen model come along, it’s what I’ll very likely but.

PS, I’m really hoping for a new entry level model because my daughter wants a new iPad for Christmas… she’s not particularly kind to iPads so I don’t want to spend more than I have to on one for her… she trod on her current one.:rolleyes:

I am looking to replace my iPad 10.5” Pro but will for sure wait until the launch of the the new products, currently scheduled for September. Maybe the M1 chip will find its way into more iPads. I find https://9to5mac.com/ to be as good a source as any for information, leaks and useful speculation. If nothing much new comes out in September there’s still a great range to choose from. My Mrs got an iPad Air a while back and it is superb. And a MacMini M1, which is ridiculously good. So I’d say be patient.
I can be patient, I don’t mind spending a little more on one for myself because it’ll be a long serving business tool… but as I said above, for my daughter, an Air is an expensive and risky investment… I just want the cheapest one with Currys KnowHow cover on it for her.

For me the Air is the best 'standard' iPad and will be future proof for a goods while... Plus they retain their values

So best bang for buck is that really (for you); for your daughter, cheap is best by the sounds of it :D

For me the Air is the best 'standard' iPad and will be future proof for a goods while... Plus they retain their values

So best bang for buck is that really (for you); for your daughter, cheap is best by the sounds of it :D
Yep, you’ve given me some clarity there, I’m going to buy an Air, it’s a lovely looking device… is there a new Air due?:D

Yep, you’ve given me some clarity there, I’m going to buy an Air, it’s a lovely looking device… is there a new Air due?:D

Its rumoured with a OLED screen and Touch ID.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipad-air-2021-release-date-3801797/

Lots will be released from Apple in the Autumn or early 2022, new Macbook Airs, Pros etc.

If its not urgent, I would be waiting, as I am for the new Macbook Air. They are having complete re-designs and possibly Mini-LED screens.

Have a 12.9” iPad Pro. Only feature I wish for is wireless charging. Otherwise, it pretty close to perfect for my needs.

You'll not go wring with that :)
That’s what I thought, I was looking at the Pro, but the 256Gb Air was right on the money, it has the storage and the performance I need… and I love the look of the blue colour. I’ve had to buy a Bluetooth receiver for when I’m using it to DJ but being completely wireless is a good thing. The 10.9” screen will be very welcome!

Cheers for your input, you made me see sense.

That’s what I thought, I was looking at the Pro, but the 256Gb Air was right on the money, it has the storage and the performance I need… and I love the look of the blue colour. I’ve had to buy a Bluetooth receiver for when I’m using it to DJ but being completely wireless is a good thing. The 10.9” screen will be very welcome!

Cheers for your input, you made me see sense.

No worries ;) I used the wifes iPad Pro 11" M1 for a bit before I sold it on here; couldn't tell the difference between that and the 4th Gen Air that I had previously

We don't 'tax' iPads and so for every day use but decent future-proofing; the 4th Gen Air is about as good as it gets IMO :)

No worries ;) I used the wifes iPad Pro 11" M1 for a bit before I sold it on here; couldn't tell the difference between that and the 4th Gen Air that I had previously

We don't 'tax' iPads and so for every day use but decent future-proofing; the 4th Gen Air is about as good as it gets IMO :)
Yep, to be fair, I’m just starting to detect the limits of the CPU in my 4th gen Mini, but it’s not actually struggling and performs everything I ask of it just fine. The Air will be plenty powerful enough for a long while. My main reason for upgrading is for more screen real estate, very useful when you have a live band mix on the screen.

I’m currently using a 10.5” iPad Pro from several years back - I went for one with 256GB, but looking now, with it having almost 7,000 photos, 40 videos and 120 apps on it, I still have over 200GB free! I imagine 256GB is the lowest amount of storage available on iPads now, but had I thought at the time, I’d have gone for one with 128GB instead and saved a bit.

Mick

Last edited:
Hi,

I might be looking for a new iPad as well.

Can someone tell me why the iPad Air is considered future proof more than the standard iPad which is not quite half the price of the Air.

I only use my iPad for controlling my DS, FlightRadar24 and the occasional web browsing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

John

advertisement

Back