advertisement

Amplifier repair in Edinburgh

onlyconnect

pfm Member
Denon amp maybe 15 years old, probably needs recapping. Prefer to avoid posting it so any suggestions/recommendations for someone who could do this?

Tim

How sure are you that it needs recapping, is it exhibiting problems? Assuming it's not been left powered on 24/7 for 15 years with inadequate ventilation, caps in well-made Japanese audio gear ought to last longer than 15 years. (I have Jap amps 40+ years old that are still running their original caps).

No idea really especially as it is my son's amp and I haven't seen it. It was working fine then one day it just gives a pop when turned on (2nd hand description). So it could be something else.

That said, it has spent a lot of its life turned on. It does seem well made though.

Tim

I used Retro Reproduction last year to get a fault sorted on my Rotel amp. It took 3 months, the communication wasn't great, the amplifier's box had been lost, there was no paperwork or guarantee for the work which was cash in hand. The price was okay which covered a basic service too.

I did meet the engineer when I picked the unit up and he discussed the fault and fix with me which was encouraging but I do not have an electronics background so this was lost on me really.

I would not use them again for a valued item.

As far as I can see his eBay presence is Austimajoribank 0 and Graeme on Gumtree. In my experience his website has not been great for a while with any item I enquired about being out of stock. I am afraid that after buying and selling a fair bit with him I became somewhat disillusioned. I am not aware of his current repair man situation although he used to have someone in his shop.

advertisement

Back