advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

nup, the ongoing physical impact this has on a woman's body can be significant

So you would like all women competing to divulge whether they have had children or not, so that we may regard them as less-able because they have had kids…?

If you are referring to a woman who has had recently had a C-Section birth, then I would suggest that they wouldn’t be in the Olympics.
If you are suggesting that a woman has much more on their plate because they have some children (assuming they are not a single-parent) then I would say that that is an inherently old fashioned viewpoint. I speak from the perspective of a single parent who raised 3 kids.

May I ask you in what way do you come to your position on the subject?

Also, there is the matter of choosing to have, or not have children.
I am confident that the women competing would not like any advantage (or disadvantage) to be perceived because of their ‘Life Choices.’
?

I am speaking as a single father and purely from the physical perspective that 9 months gestation impacts on training; birth impacts on the body and feeding impacts on nutrition. None of those factors affect men in the same way.

So you would like all women competing to divulge whether they have had children or not, so that we may regard them as less-able because they have had kids…?
Would you suggest that they divulge this simply because of the BBC commentators that you mentioned?
Is it a qualification elsewhere?

Would you suggest that they divulge this simply because of the BBC commentators that you mentioned?
Is it a qualification elsewhere?

Please read it again.

I am replying to someone’s post.

You have the wrong end of the stick. Completely.

don't be stupid.

I am merely acknowledging that pregnancy and childbirth can have a disruptive physical impact on the ability to compete and prepare for Olympic standard competition. Significantly more than the impact of ejaculation has on male competitors.

I am speaking as a single father and purely from the physical perspective that 9 months gestation impacts on training; birth impacts on the body and feeding impacts on nutrition. None of those factors affect men in the same way.

!

are there any breastfeeding mothers in the Olympics?

Many mothers choose to bottle feed a baby, a father can do the same role. No reason why the partner of the mother cannot be the main care giver.

Should Mothers be labelled as such in the Olympics then Oldius?

don't be stupid.

I am merely acknowledging that pregnancy and childbirth can have a disruptive physical impact on the ability to compete and prepare for Olympic standard competition. Significantly more than the impact of ejaculation has on male competitors.

Stupidity is subjective.

15-Love.

!

are there any breastfeeding mothers in the Olympics?

Many mothers choose to bottle feed a baby, a father can do the same role. No reason why the partner of the mother cannot be the main care giver.

Should Mothers be labelled as such in the Olympics then Oldius?

I don't get the point. There is a physical effect of gestation and birth - that's it. I have no idea if there are breastfeeding mothers in the Olympics but during the period of feeding, there are widely acknowledged impacts on the nutritional intake of the mother. This would affect training and recovery.

What is the point that you are bothered about? Is it seriously just that the commentators have mentioned that someone is a mother?

We are getting annoyed with the commentators on the BBC constantly referencing to female competitors who have children, “Mother of 2 children,” but never mentioning how many children the male competitors have. Sexist in our opinion.
Being a Mother (or Father) should not be mentioned as if it is a handicap.
Giving birth involves some not inconsiderable physical trauma; being a father does not - except for the conception perhaps...

It depends on the context. Personally I happy to acknowledge that coming back from giving birth is probably quite hard & perhaps adds to the overall achievement? If a person has lost training due to a bad injury & still wins (like Tom Pidcock) this is also mentioned.

I've managed to catch a fair bit of the Women's Handball competition and it hasn't disappointed. The Eurosport commentator shares Tonje's opinion on the women's game being more entertaining, faster, more fluid and skillful than the men's.
A record 79 goals ( in 60 minutes) in the Netherlands - South Korea game the other night. And Norway are topping their group which makes this household happy.

Giving birth involves some not inconsiderable physical trauma; being a father does not - except for the conception perhaps...

The mothers competing haven’t just given birth…. :)

Giving birth is not an illness, it is a natural process.
There is not alway ‘physical trauma’ for example a tear, or cut to ease the passage.

It has potential comedy value, but people’s inability to see what to some is obvious can be startling at times.

And another thing... Tennis. I mean it's an over-long, dreary, awful sport 95% of the time. Do we really need more of it? :confused:

Tennis shouldn't be an Olympic sport - swing ball maybe

Nonetheless you have to admit that seeing the Serbian actress leaving the tennis with s.f.a. was a joy to behold, if Murray displayed the antics shown by Djokovic you’d never hear the end of it.

In case you are in any doubt about the men’s tennis final, watch the 2016 one which was as good as any of the the grand slam finals in recent memory, Del Porto was fantastic as were the Argentine fans, the conditions brutal, but above all the man from Dunblane was peerless and a true Olympian.

I found it disingenuous that she did. I hope she did not deny another athlete the opportunity.
The time she ran of 11.05 in the SF was considerably quicker than 4th place (top 3 selected for Tokyo) athlete at UK trials:
https://results.britishathletics.org.uk/20210625_Manchester/timetable/index/Data/W/100_R_f.html
Jodie Williams and Beth Dobbin qualified for Tokyo 200m by coming 1st and 2nd at UK trials. No one else made the Olympic qualifying time of 22.8 apart from Dina so she has not denied another athlete a place:
https://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=200&agegroup=ALL&sex=W&year=2021

Last edited:
I don't get the point. There is a physical effect of gestation and birth - that's it. I have no idea if there are breastfeeding mothers in the Olympics but during the period of feeding, there are widely acknowledged impacts on the nutritional intake of the mother. This would affect training and recovery.

What is the point that you are bothered about? Is it seriously just that the commentators have mentioned that someone is a mother?
The real problem is too much commentator prattle and not enough coverage of events.

not enough coverage of events.

That’s because they don’t have all the events this time around, they don’t have the main contract to broadcast the Olympics in the UK, Discovery do and are using their Eurosport channels as the main UK outlet.

The BBC get to show, iirc, 2 events live at a time, and then anything else is either recorded or just highlights.

advertisement

Back