advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

I bagged a Parkrun this morning. A little annoyed because we did the pre-race briefing away from the old start line and the sheer numbers meant I missed the real rolling-start time. Still got my PB though. 21 achievements according to Strava. The lockdown was good to me.

Well done on the PB MJS!!

My local (Horsham) was busy and buzzing, great vibe and not a mask in sight! Fair turnout of 386.

Haven't run at all for three weeks but have been cycling, so feeling OK. Was hard work but got just under....ok, just a second under...;)...22 mins, so was well pleased. Fair way to go to get a new PB...getting too old now!!

I’d be happy to break 25m these days! Sub-22 - even if just by a second - would be wonderful!!!

My local parkrun at York was off due to horse racing and err, McFly. Wetherby was off due to gypsies on the riverside course (more bliddy horses!). Then Goole got called off due to the discovery of an unexploded WW2 bomb on a nearby housing development. In the end I settled for Selby which is a very flat but rough potholed cart track on an out and back course. It was however free of equine guests and incendiary devices.
A slightly rusty 22.32 for me which is about 45-60 seconds slower than pre-covid, a work in progress methinks.
Blimey wasn't it great to be back though, quite a few emotional runners today.
Congrats everyone, keep up the good work.

Just keep an eye on your hip trouble. Take it from me, I know only too well …..

I am, it doesn’t hurt running, slowly stiffens up afterwards, I’m plodding along at the moment. I’m certainly not making it worse, and I have even considered going to the track on Monday… sick of Garmin telling me I’m unproductive :)

I bagged a Parkrun this morning. A little annoyed because we did the pre-race briefing away from the old start line and the sheer numbers meant I missed the real rolling-start time. Still got my PB though. 21 achievements according to Strava. The lockdown was good to me.

That’s a brilliant time, well done.

I’d be happy to break 25m these days! Sub-22 - even if just by a second - would be wonderful!!!

Yep, sub 25 is my goal. I think sub 22 is beyond impossible. Only god like creatures can possibly get there. I’m seriously thinking of focussing on middle distances after this year. It’s always when I step up the miles I get injured…

I’m hoping to get sub-23m by this time next year. One of my best achievements was coming 8th at Rotorua Parkrun in 22:50 (my best Parkrun placing to date) so that’s the goal. Right now I’m working on moderate mileage (~25-30/wk) at moderate pace to build up fitness and confidence in my hip. Bizarrely enough, it’s my knees that are complaining most. When Parkrun returns up here I hope to get my return in sub-27m and nail sub-25m by the end of the year. But there’s still a risk my beat running days are now behind me, and I’m cursing not taking up running 20+ years earlier :/

To put it in perspective (probably not a good idea...), the fastest finisher at Horsham today was in 15:25, and the 5km world record is 12:35 (whaaat!?). Kipchoge's 2 hour marathon equates to 14:13 per 5km - how the hell...!

I'm gonna try to keep running as long as I can to keep fit and keep the mind fresh (trying in vain to counteract the beer and whisky)....but starting to worry a bit about what happens when I can't anymore. An e-bike on the horizon when I can't get up the South Downs under my own steam...but not sure how the running will go.

Nice story about Bob, an 88 year old who completed 400 Parkruns today...and aiming for 500 (and was also a sub 3hr marathon runner). I surely hope I last that long and can still run...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-57954713

Well done @MJS for a brilliant Parkrun this morning. Was just glad to be able to turn up for one. Went surprisingly well, about 30 sec off pb time, but I’ve not been trying to go quickly recently. Will try a little harder next week…

Reactions: MJS
Indeed, nice one MJS! Great stuff!

And Lordy!! Great time!

I had a little too much fine whisky last night, didn't set alarm..and overslept...so missed my Parkrun this morning. Went out for a half as penance instead. A bit sore now (and bad nettle rash!) - need some whisky to recover I think...err...;)

Reactions: MJS
Indeed, nice one MJS! Great stuff!

And Lordy!! Great time!

I had a little too much fine whisky last night, didn't set alarm..and overslept...so missed my Parkrun this morning. Went out for a half as penance instead. A bit sore now (and bad nettle rash!) - need some whisky to recover I think...err...;)

Thanks, I’m drinking beer and eating pizza in anticipation of a long run tomorrow. Probably need to get at least ten miles done.

Well done @MJS for a brilliant Parkrun this morning. Was just glad to be able to turn up for one. Went surprisingly well, about 30 sec off pb time, but I’ve not been trying to go quickly recently. Will try a little harder next week…
Thanks, I had to drive down to a family event in Wilts just afterwards*, so didn't get a chance to read these messages. I'm well happy with that time, I probably could have done it last week but missed the start due to numbers and pre-event briefing taking place a couple of minutes away.

* I say that, but I ran home from the PR to keep my miles up this week. Looking forward to the GNR next month.

Sad and needy two posts in a row but Parkrun PB this morning. Well chuffed. Didn’t really see it coming, but after a day off, felt pretty good and decided to see how near I could get to the old one. Busy day tomorrow so it’s going to be long run Monday.

I survived with a highly satisfactory 25m33, which, whilst not impressive in itself, is a great result considering the injury and surgery/recovery journey I’ve been on. But for a little calf cramp, I might have gone just under 25mins. Best bit is that I don’t feel sore or anything, which is a big relief since I’d not tried any sustained faster running since the op….

Great stuff! Parkrun for me also this morning.
Approaching 50 now, gotta get me a t-shirt!

Yesterday's Parkrun got me all enthusiastic (along with many others - there were 465 people there!) so went out for a 'pushing on' 10km this morning and then another 5k cooling down...though didn't feel very cooled down by the end...just achy.
Lovely morning for it.

I missed it yesterday. I seem to have pulled a muscle in my left leg, and my shoes aren't up to long distances, so off to the shop today I think for something different. Currently on Brooks Ghost 13s and they're really cushioned and great for anything under 10k. Anything over that and my feet start rubbing on the underside behind by big toe. No blisters but calloused and starts to hurt. Have tried all sorts of different lace knotting, and I guess it's due to swelling, but can't quite get it right. Perhaps the shoes are too soft?

I missed it yesterday. I seem to have pulled a muscle in my left leg, and my shoes aren't up to long distances, so off to the shop today I think for something different. Currently on Brooks Ghost 13s and they're really cushioned and great for anything under 10k. Anything over that and my feet start rubbing on the underside behind by big toe. No blisters but calloused and starts to hurt. Have tried all sorts of different lace knotting, and I guess it's due to swelling, but can't quite get it right. Perhaps the shoes are too soft?

What socks are you wearing?

advertisement

Back