advertisement

smallish floor standers that won't boom when used close to the rear wall in a smallish room?

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
I have a shortlist, and have auditioned some candidates, but am still open to further ideas from those that have overcome this problem.

Neat Ekstras are perfect in my small room. The bass is very tight and fast - no boom.

Neat Iota Alpha are a riot and definitely fit the small criteria.

I know there is a rear port indicating they need some space but they don’t need much - I’d say a must hear, especially if you have Naim amplification.

There's more to it, imo, than just being close to a rear wall. I've successfully run Tannoy DC3000s near a rear wall in a couple of suitable rooms / listening positions.
How big is the room and how far are you going to be away from the speakers?
If you end up listening in what would be considered a near field position, then there's greater scope for tolerance.

Rega have always done a small floor stander specifically for use in small rooms. There was the EL8, then Alya, then R3. I’m guessing the RX3 is the current version.

Do you mean “front” wall, i.e. the one facing you when you listen and to which the speakers are nearest, or do you really mean “rear”?

advertisement

Back