advertisement

Tannoy Sampler

Has @Elephantears sold his Eatons already?

No I haven't actually. I got sidetracked and haven't had time. I've been meaning to update the thread to say thanks for all the interest but I think I'm going to have to wait until September, as I'm going to visit my in-laws across the Atlantic in a week.

I've actually got both 70s Eatons (modified) and Eaton Legacy, so I feel somewhat duty-bound to do a proper comparison and write up. I've just been too preoccupied recently and my favourite amps need fixing before I do the comparison properly.

I'm intrigued to know whether you have ever actually heard Tannoy speakers in the flesh, I haven't, I'd love too.
No which is why I’d like to see how well we get on before I spend more than £5000.
My thinking is that some well priced second hand versions could be sold on a minimal loss if I either like or don’t like what I hear.
That said if Audio Emotion do discount and seem offer my money back if we don’t get on that might work too.
I prefer to buy things I’m going to keep new to support the dealer network. But Audio Emotions tactics seem to be a little dubious.
Do any other dealers offer similar pricing and a money back guarantee?
We have a Fyne dealer in Newcastle, given the Tannoy heritage I might try to listen to the 502SP before I go any further.

Perhaps tell us about your room? I can tell you that everyone will say that any Tannoy will work, no matter what size your room is. I'm a bit more skeptical, but can certainly give you a good idea regarding Eatons.

I’d be sitting in a smallish 5m x 3.5m x 3m(high) room. 2m away from a the speakers that are 2m apart with a brick and plaster wall behind them

No which is why I’d like to see how well we get on before I spend more than £5000.
My thinking is that some well priced second hand versions could be sold on a minimal loss if I either like or don’t like what I hear.
That said if Audio Emotion do discount and seem offer my money back if we don’t get on that might work too.
I prefer to buy things I’m going to keep new to support the dealer network. But Audio Emotions tactics seem to be a little dubious.
We have a Fyne dealer in Newcastle, given the Tannoy heritage I might try to listen to the 502SP before I go any further.
Tannoy Heritage are some way removed from the Fyne 500-series, don’t fall into the trap of making too many assumptions. The 500s are great, but the real magic with the Fynes starts a little further up the range, IMHO.

Tannoy Heritage are some way removed from the Fyne 500-series, don’t fall into the trap of making too many assumptions. The 500s are great, but the real magic with the Fynes starts a little further up the range, IMHO.
The 701 seems to be the farthest my budget will stretch. Is that far enough; up the range?

A chap recently spent over a year trying to sell his mint Eaton legacy at 2.5 k a pair will turn up . And yes some very good deals to be done with dealers if you haggle

It's incredibly difficult getting to hear different/unusual speakers in Newcastle.
I know they are not what you are looking for but you are welcome to listen to my Heco Direkt's here in Newcastle.
They are incredibly efficient and in my previous home I had them working really well in a room similar in size to yours.

It's incredibly difficult getting to hear different/unusual speakers in Newcastle.
I know they are not what you are looking for but you are welcome to listen to my Heco Direkt's here in Newcastle.
They are incredibly efficient and in my previous home I had them working really well in a room similar in size to yours.

That is an interesting offer I vaguely recall that they are particularly good with Sugden. I'm busy and away for the next couple of weeks but might be in touch after that.

advertisement

Back