advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

Oh blimey, it’s going to be a rapid decline over the next eight months from reasonably fit and happy to miserable and pill-filled...

Pill-Filled :)

I qualify from that point of view.

Not really miserable though, although I have the physical qualifications.

Just been to the doctors following a set of X-rays for a suspected muscle injury. Turns out it’s arthritis in my left hip. Quite severe. Apparently Its the extent expected in a 65 year old, at 45. Bugger.
In the words of John Mayer, ‘so scared of getting older ,I'm only good at being young..’

Apparently I have the hip of a 65 year old,

Does the 65 yo know you have it?

hqdefault.jpg

At 74 and with only a few minor ailments (a stuffy nose, which I've always had, and slightly arthritic thumb joints), I reflect on a young guy I once knew (he used to work in the Dulux Decorative Paints lab in Melbourne):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mitchell

You wouldn't have thought that a fit young (relative to me) fella like that would have any problems, but there you are, he's gone, and I'm still here. Makes you think - and determined to enjoy every minute of that short interval between birth and death.

At 74 and with only a few minor ailments (...slightly arthritic thumb joints)...
Oh yes, I had almost forgotten that I have those too. Strangely (and this also goes for an occasional stab of neuralgia in my left thigh), I haven’t been aware of any discomfort since my birthday. Perhaps these things are all lying in wait, lulling me into a false sense of security before storming back at ten times the previous intensity on the day I turn 65-and-three-quarters.

and this also goes for an occasional stab of neuralgia in my left thigh

I have something like that in my lower left arm only.
It is completely random and sporadic. No pattern.
Been having the pain for years, had it investigated, which turned up zilch. My left hand is damaged, knuckle absent, wonky fingers etc, but that is a different pain in the hand.
When the zapping, electric, sort of linear searing pain occurs in my left arm I yelp with gusto.
Then it usually happens again a few times that day, and maybe week, then nothing for months sometimes. I have kept an event diary for a year, didn’t help.
I had the shooting weird pain yesterday, and today twice so far. Gets on my pip.
The Wife is able to identify when I have that specific pain by the immediacy of my reaction.
She just winces in sympathy nowadays as it has become ‘one of those things…’

When the zapping, electric, sort of linear searing pain occurs in my left arm I yelp with gusto.
Then it usually happens again a few times that day, and maybe week, then nothing for months sometimes. I have kept an event diary for a year, didn’t help.
I had the shooting weird pain yesterday, and today twice so far. Gets on my pip.
Yep, that’s the one. What I did discover shortly before it disappeared, hopefully permanently, was that I could bring it on at will by squeezing the back of my left wrist. This is a pain in the top of my thigh, remember. So it’s very possible the cause of your pain is situated well away from where you feel it. The body is a wonderful thing.

Yep, that’s the one. What I did discover shortly before it disappeared, hopefully permanently, was that I could bring it on at will by squeezing the back of my left wrist. This is a pain in the top of my thigh, remember. So it’s very possible the cause of your pain is situated well away from where you feel it. The body is a wonderful thing.

It could be related to my brain injury, which is in the other side, but more likely damage occurred when my hands were smashed in my least favourite accident.
I don’t think anything will stop it, and I can’t treat it as it is soo fleeting. So it goes in the Try And Ignore pile. It doesn’t fit there because I can’t ignore it when it zaps me. Bah.

I’m 67 and apart from a painful heel after walking, as fit as a fit thing. I put it down to a long-standing avoidance of anything resembling hard work.
I wouldn’t say I was particularly fit - I don’t swim, play any kind of sport, ride a bike in a lycra-and-dropped-handlebars way or (shudder) go to the gym, although I take regular five-mile walks and ride a bike in a sitting upright, 10mph way. But I feel pretty healthy - I don’t have any pains I can’t deal with, or any internal malfunctions that require medication or component replacement. I put it down to a long-standing Rochefort and Châteauneuf-biased diet.

Last edited:
Is cramp an age related thing?

Had to walk across a field yesterday and got immobilised half way by totally seized hamstrings. Took about ten minutes to get it relaxed.

I am facing a few issues as I get older. However I am not , living on my own, my wife who is my official carer as well has been a rock in my life has made me stable. Despite the issues I still have my hobbies, a lot of things make me happy and I have a daughter whom I love engaged in her own work. Whatever the circumstances, getting above them without issues makes me feel very lucky. If I was living on my own then I really don't know if I would keep the same level of mind...

Just been to the doctors following a set of X-rays for a suspected muscle injury. Turns out it’s arthritis in my left hip. Quite severe. Apparently Its the extent expected in a 65 year old, at 45. Bugger.
In the words of John Mayer, ‘so scared of getting older ,I'm only good at being young..’
As someone who needed a new hip at 65 after putting up with agony for several years and could do nothing get yourself down for a new hip.
It’ll take a bit longer because of the covid crisis but it’ll be worth the wait.
I just got back from winning our four ball stableford at golf this afternoon.

I am currently mulling on one the great lines from the film 'what we did on our holiday'.
Billy Connelly, as grandad with cancer has a few days to go when his daughter in law makes him laugh aloud. " Well, look on the bright side" she says, "At least you dodged Alzheimers".

As someone who needed a new hip at 65 after putting up with agony for several years and could do nothing get yourself down for a new hip.
It’ll take a bit longer because of the covid crisis but it’ll be worth the wait.
I just got back from winning our four ball stableford at golf this afternoon.

I am not a medical doctor. Years ago I read about a simple exercise that might prevent the need for a hip replacement in old age.

I started this simple exercise years ago. It consists of getting down on the floor on your stomach and first stretching one leg out away from your body (spread legged) as far as it will go- stretching your toes as well. Then repeat the same with the other leg. I have done this every morning ,along with a few other morning exercises, shortly after I rise.

So far I have had no pain or discomfort whatesoever in either hip.

I am 81 and a half.

advertisement

Back