advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky are banging on about a pingdemic again!!!! FFS the app is only pinging so much because there are so many cases!!! Why can they not understand this???
Actually, given the number of cases appears to be dropping fast, I wonder whether any ‘pingdemic’ is more a reflection of the greater numbers and frequency of people gathering together.

Hasn't there been 23,000 cases or so not counted because they were re-infections? Are people suffering such re-infection not capable of infecting others? Is it not true that some sufferers have been double vaccinated?
I believe that is the case re re-infections not being counted

I believe that is the case re re-infections not being counted
They're around 1% according to PHE, and they're working on ways to include them in stats. Just in terms of the number of personal acquaintances getting positive tests after 2 jabs or previous infection that sounds on the low side to me and it wouldn't surprise me if there's more to it (nothing sinister though :)).

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1418567528322945031?s=20

Lower viral load for reinfection and I've heard 50% less transmission but that only takes it down to Alpha levels. I'm still all for masks in risky settings at least until we know more about reinfection and transmission. Still, Fauci should be sharing his sources.

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1420300728887914496?s=20

I am very much enjoying my daily phone calls from the poor things that have to check that I’m still securely locked inside the Towers after my trip to France. While I’m unfailingly polite and answer the same questions quickly and honestly every day I like to try to make them laugh early on to see if I can throw them temporarily off-script. A couple of them have asked me if I’m happy to proceed with the call in English. I asked one what alternatives she had to offer. There was a brief pause before I was asked the next question on the list. I could picture her finger following a flow chart - ‘Smart-arse answer... Yes... go to next.’ They always say they are from NHS Track and Trace (but might just share any information with the Home Office) - but one day I missed the call (I was in the cellar) and when I rang back got a message saying I had reached ‘Quarantine Enforcement’ or something similar, which doesn’t sound quite so warm and cuddly.

"The recent fall in Covid cases as measured by the government’s Covid dashboard does not look plausible, a prominent academic has said.

Prof Tim Spector said he thought the official data looks “a bit fishy” because it does not correspond with what other figures are showing.

Spector runs the Zoe Covid Symptom Study, which uses an app to get people to report when they are suffering coronavirus symptoms. More than 4 million people around the world have downloaded it, and its data has provided a broadly reliable guide to how the pandemic has developed over the last year.

As Sky News reports, his figures suggest cases are running at about twice the level recorded on the government’s dashboard. Spector said he thought the fall in the number of cases recorded on the dashboard over the past week looked “very suspicious”."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0892081f6c60ed#block-6102a38f8f0892081f6c60ed

Surely you're not suggesting that the government might be deliberately under-reporting case numbers in order to not look foolish and dangerous. Who could suggest such a thing.

Number of pings is dependent upon number of people who have tested positive and use the app along with how many people they interact with. Since Freedom Day people are far more likely to be going out much more and meeting more people, therefore the number of pings was always likely to go up considerably. I.e. the scale of increases looks to me to be led by changes in human behaviour.

But overall, no one knows accurately what is going on, despite all these varied data sources.

Whilst hospital admissions are related to the number of people infected, there is no direct correlation (i.e. back calculation of population infection is prone to large errors) because there are too many other factors involved (vaccination, human behaviour, variant infectiousness, population density, delay from infection of around 10 days, etc). But they are the most reliable numbers available to us as to the consequence (and the number of deaths) of the virus being in the population.

Gav,

Where do you get the hospital admissions data from?

The .gov.uk website has 932 for the 25th July as its latest entry?

Gav,

Where do you get the hospital admissions data from?

The .gov.uk website has 932 for the 25th July as its latest entry?

On the Patient's Admitted section click the 'All healthcare data' then on the graph of admissions select 'by nation' then select the Data tab. I have always used the England figure only as it's the vast majority and updates more regularly.

On the Patient's Admitted section click the 'All healthcare data' then on the graph of admissions select 'by nation' then select the Data tab. I have always used the England figure only as it's the vast majority and updates more regularly.
Thanks, makes sense to use the data as you are doing.

I should have done a bit more digging first to find your data source!

The weekly surveilance report

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 activity has been
decreasing in some indicators in week 29 of 2021, while in other indicators activity
continues to increase.

Overall case rates decreased in week 29. Case rates decreased in most age groups,
and in all regions and ethnic groups. Overall Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 positivity decreased
slightly compared to the previous week.

Surely you're not suggesting that the government might be deliberately under-reporting case numbers in order to not look foolish and dangerous. Who could suggest such a thing.

I don't know - I've been taking it at face value but then I've never given much weight to the raw case figures, just the hospitalisations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back