advertisement

Rather disappointing..

Understood, thanks :)

Was just trying to reiterate that staying within the eBay system to sort this out is the way to go.

I hope that which ever way it happens they can be repaired and got back on the road.

Very strange, unless I'm missing something.
I'd opened up a returns case, as much as encouraging a discussion as anything else. I wanted to have the player fixed.
Whilst awaiting a reply, the player was beginning to behave, for some reason. I had previously opened it up and re-installed the transport which had been knocked clean off the rails.
But it was taking many minutes of coaxing before it worked. Within a couple of days, the minutes of coaxing weren't needed any more.

To my amazement, and without any other acknowledgement to my email complaining about the manner of the delivery, I received an email from the dealer saying "return accepted, replacement packaging on the way."

I wonder what was better about this packaging. Anyway, I didn't want a heap of old boxes turning up and so cancelled the return.
And that is the end of the matter.
The player is in the rack, and if someone else had taken in the delivery and set it up, I wouldn't have known anything about the trauma.
Except for the smashed plugs.
The player seems to be working perfectly. The Philips CDM-1 transport is a miracle.
It looks rather smart now that it's in.

I wonder if the dealer was going to make an insurance claim. The large box that they used was in fact a Frankenstein patchwork of smaller boxes taped together to make one large unmanageable lump.
Anyway, I have the playier, it's working , was singing Mozart yesterday and so far, I've been able to fix it myself. Unless a pulley or wheel is about to break away somewhere inside.

IMG_2859.jpeg

I have the Sony equivalent on the way.

Yes Matt mentioned that you have a CDP-R1 and DAS-R1 on the way :eek::D

The DAS-R1 sounds quite different to the DA12. I'm very interested to get your take on how they compare.

Be warned that the KSS-190a laser in the CDP-R1 is unobtanium. Consider bagging a decent Sony CDP-337esd donor while they're still affordable. Look for one which shows a good RF eye pattern of at least 1.0v pk-pk amplitude.

Good to see you have it up and running k90tour. Out of interest where did these Marantz combos spring from - was it refurbished vintage stock from Marantz or a limited edition re-launch perhaps?

Matt's got a lot to answer for as well.
I won't know how good a donor transport is until after I've bought it, unfortunately.
But I'll be on the look out for a suitable player.

I don't think K90tour will be disappointed (by the Sony CDPR1/ DAS R1). They are different, these two high-end two-box apotheosises of the first generation of cd players, and I am want to tie myself up in knots trying to describe the differences. Albeit I haven't heard the CDPR1/ DAS R1 together but I feed my DAS R1 with a 555ESD. I like Axel's description of the DAS R1 ('unbelievably wide, deep, smooth, lush, sweet, dynamic and inviting'). And this description of the CD12 ('listening to the CD12 can spoil you for other players. Switch to the CD880, CD85, CD80 or any other lesser player and it is painfully evident that they lack harmonic ripeness and in comparison sound empty and gray'). These descriptions highlight some of the qualities that make these players unique IMV.

Matt

Last edited:
I was joking Matt. I'm looking forward to it.
What I like about the CD12 is that you forget that it's a recording and can just follow the music. I've been listening to Mozart Horn concerti this evening. What a lovely sound!

Yes I find this too, you just enjoy listening to the music. The DAS R1 is more forensic. But not thin or etched, it sounds full and the tonal colours are wonderfully rich. Nor is the CD12 unsatisfactory / lacking detail. Hence comment about tying oneself up in knots. I put the Sony on and think it's superior (pin drop detail etc). Then I put the Marantz back in and am not so sure. What a nice problem to have.

Whose recording of the horn concerti did you have on? I used to play a couple of movements e.g. the Romance and Allegro from the 3rd (not very well I hasten to add).

I was listening to Barry Tuckwell with the Eco and also Peter Damm and The Academy of St Martin in the Fields. I haven't heard it on the Marantz yet but I have the recordings by Hermann Baumann with Pinchas Zukerman conducting the St Paul's Chamber Orchestra. That is very good, in my opinion. I've never tried a wind or brass instrument. My wife took Grade 5 Horn but I've never heard her play. She plays the cello.
I know the horn for its orchestral solos, like the one in Strauss Four last Songs.
Or this little solo....

advertisement

Back